Re: laserjet 4000 error 22

Discussion in 'HP' started by Ben Myers, Aug 5, 2008.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ralph, I operate my LaserJet 4000-family printer and set up those of my clients
    to be networked rather than direct connected via parallel or serial. All of
    them have at least 64MB of printer memory. But I have a VERY strong suspicion
    that the messages would go away if you added memory to the printer. LJ4000
    memory is very inexpensive these days. In particular, browser web pages require
    a lot of memory to print successfully.

    Other things you might try to deal with the problem:

    Print with PCL rather than PostScript, or vice versa. I find PostScript to be
    far better, mostly in handling Adobe PDFs.

    I'm not sure if the LJ4000 PCL driver supports lower dots per inch than the
    standard 1200dpi. If so, try printing the same pages at 300 or 600dpi. If
    not, the LJ4000 PCL is upward compatible with the older printers, so installing
    the LaserJet 4 or LaserJet 5 PCL driver would give you this option. If the
    problem disappears at lower dpi, this confirms that the printer needs more
    memory... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 5, 2008

  2. Ben Myers

    Warren Block Guest

    RED <> wrote:

    >>>I have a Laserjet 4000 that has started to give a "22 PARALLEL I/O BUFFER
    >>>OVERFLOW" error. HP only says to check the parrallel cable. I've tried a
    >>>new 1284 cable with same results. I hooked it up with a serial cable and
    >>>get "22 SERIAL I/O BUFFER OVERFLOW". Does anyone have an idea what can be
    >>>wrong. It has only the memory that's soldered on the board and no
    >>>additional boards. TIA.

    > Thanks for the reply. I bought a 64mb simm from ebay. Like you said, it
    > was very cheap. If this doesn't work, I'll either make a planter out of it
    > or use it as a boat anchor. Thanks again.

    If you're printing the same jobs it should still work. Even if you
    didn't have enough memory, it shouldn't have given that type of error.
    Something changed, and it changed in a way that affected both parallel
    and serial ports. Formatter problem, maybe, but it doesn't sound like
    RAM. Unless the 4000 formatter doesn't have onboard RAM and a DIMM came
    loose.

    Warren Block, Aug 6, 2008

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Too bad that the memory upgrade did not fix the problem. In addition to an
    LJ4000 formatter board, be on the lookout for a whole complete and functional
    LJ4000. Here in New England surplus ones are going for cheap. Got one for $20
    a couple of weeks ago, only 70K or 80K pages printed, and EIO network card
    included. Phased out by a local city government that apparently has some money.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 13, 2008