Re: Lockup playing AVI file with pivoted display

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by BillW50, May 7, 2011.

  1. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    On 5/7/2011 3:15 PM, Russell May wrote:
    > My 2002-vintage computer has a recently-installed CPU and LCD display.
    > The computer locks up with the display pivoted 90 degrees via
    > irotate.exe while playing AVI files using Nero ShowTime, producing a
    > medium-high-pitched sound. The lockup seems to happen only when the
    > display is pivoted. Nero ShowTime is the only program I have which
    > will show AVI movies while the display is pivoted.
    >
    > The last time this happened, CPU temperature was 43 degrees C and CPU
    > utilization was about 30 percent.
    >
    > I reset the computer to recover from these lockups, only to find that
    > CPU hyper-threading is disabled until I restart Windows, which runs
    > very slowly, and then restart the computer and Windows again.
    >
    > Does anyone have suggestions about how to stop this lockup while the
    > display is pivoted?
    >
    > System description
    > Windows 32-bit XP SP3, Nero 6.6 including ShowTime 2.0.1.9,
    > irotate.exe 1.37, Microsoft Security Essentials, 2010 Tune-up
    > Utilities. Dell 2700FP LCD monitor A02, 1600x1200 pixels (pivoted to
    > 1200x1600), 32-bit color, DVI cable. Gigabyte GA-8IEXP motherboard
    > (533MHz FSB), 1.5GB PC-2700 ECC memory. 3.06GHz Pentium 4 CPU
    > (Northwood with hyper-threading). Radeon 9000 AGP-4X video board.
    > Samsung 200GB and 250GB IDE internal drives, Samsung 1.5TB eSATA
    > external drive, SiI 3512 eSATA controller board, 6Mbps DSL via 2-Wire
    > AT&T 2701HG-B gateway.

    Anything in the Event logs? I don't think you can get to this point in
    Safe Mode, but it might be worth a shot.

    I'm guessing that you have a driver conflict between the video driver
    and Nero. And either going to newer or older drivers (both Nero and/or
    video drivers) might be the way to go.

    You could also try that Performance slider under the Display Properties
    as well. As that would probably fix it, but changing the driver(s)
    version(s) would probably be better if possible.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0

    BillW50, May 7, 2011