Re: Losing Newsgroup Service

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ben Myers, Sep 19, 2008.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    I just had a couple ding-dong arguments via chat and via phone with Charter's
    tech support about the serious unreliability of its newsgroup operation,
    actually subcontracted out to a Phoenix outfit called HighWinds Media.

    I honestly think that Charter has a conscious plan afoot to kill off its
    newsgroup access. They make usenet unreliable, so people stop using it. A
    self-fulfilling prophecy like the current US Govt Executive Branch taking the
    position that less government is better, then staffing with incompetents and
    cronys, then saying that they told you so that less government is really better.
    But I digress. Again. But not much. See below.

    My position is that terminating newsgroup access infringes upon my first
    amendment rights of freedom of speech. Perhaps someone at the ACLU could go for
    an injunction to stop Comcast (already dragged thru the mud lately) from
    terminating its usenet service. Or maybe just a few first amendment emails to
    the Congressmen who represent you? Or, hey, make some noise to the local media
    (TV or print is fine) and possibly some national news service will pick up the
    story.

    I have already complained to my congressmen, my representatives in the state
    house and the FCC about the incompetence and high expense of my Charter
    broadband. The FCC takes the position that it does not regulate ISPs, only
    telephone and TV. (Are we surprised? The current FCC does not want to regulate
    ISPs, either, and we have some of the worst internet service in the civilized
    world with among the highest prices.) So Comcast, Charter, and their ilk can do
    as they please to us and with us.

    So start making some public noise about this mess. I intend to continue to
    pillory Charter for its continued screwups at the high price I am paying.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 19, 2008

  2. Ben Myers wrote:
    > I just had a couple ding-dong arguments via chat and via phone with Charter's
    > tech support about the serious unreliability of its newsgroup operation,
    > actually subcontracted out to a Phoenix outfit called HighWinds Media.
    >
    > I honestly think that Charter has a conscious plan afoot to kill off its
    > newsgroup access. They make usenet unreliable, so people stop using it. A
    > self-fulfilling prophecy like the current US Govt Executive Branch taking the
    > position that less government is better, then staffing with incompetents and
    > cronys, then saying that they told you so that less government is really better.
    > But I digress. Again. But not much. See below.
    >
    > My position is that terminating newsgroup access infringes upon my first
    > amendment rights of freedom of speech. Perhaps someone at the ACLU could go for
    > an injunction to stop Comcast (already dragged thru the mud lately) from
    > terminating its usenet service. Or maybe just a few first amendment emails to
    > the Congressmen who represent you? Or, hey, make some noise to the local media
    > (TV or print is fine) and possibly some national news service will pick up the
    > story.
    >
    > I have already complained to my congressmen, my representatives in the state
    > house and the FCC about the incompetence and high expense of my Charter
    > broadband. The FCC takes the position that it does not regulate ISPs, only
    > telephone and TV. (Are we surprised? The current FCC does not want to regulate
    > ISPs, either, and we have some of the worst internet service in the civilized
    > world with among the highest prices.) So Comcast, Charter, and their ilk can do
    > as they please to us and with us.
    >
    > So start making some public noise about this mess. I intend to continue to
    > pillory Charter for its continued screwups at the high price I am paying.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers

    My ISPs (Shaw) newsgroups is having problems as well with my local
    newsgroup server but the main server is fine.

    Dan
    Dan Sgambelluri, Sep 19, 2008

  3. Hi!

    > My position is that terminating newsgroup access infringes upon my first
    > amendment rights of freedom of speech. Perhaps someone at the ACLU
    > could go for an injunction to stop Comcast (already dragged thru the mud
    > lately) from terminating its usenet service.

    Hmmm, now that's an interesting perspective. I hadn't thought of it quite
    that way.

    I have found that a good old fashioned signed letter, mailed to a company,
    can do wonders. That's even more likely if enough people do it!

    If my ISP (who uses AT&T's Usenet server, at least so far) were to cancel
    Usenet access, I would definitely make noise about it. It's not that I'm
    unhappy using Google Groups (despite what some people who "know better" say
    about it) but already these "know it alls" have made that a less than
    productive option. (Not that they don't have merit to their complaints, but
    *really*...especially in this day and age of vanishing Usenet.)

    Ooops. I stepped on a soap box there. :)

    William
    William R. Walsh, Sep 19, 2008
  4. Ben Myers

    Tom Lake Guest

    > My position is that terminating newsgroup access infringes upon my first
    > amendment rights of freedom of speech.

    You have the right to say what you want* but no one else has the obligation to
    provide equipment for you to do so.

    Tom Lake

    * With certain limitations, of course.
    Tom Lake, Sep 19, 2008
  5. Ben Myers

    Guest

    On Sep 18, 9:00 pm, Ben Myers <>
    wrote:
    > I just had a couple ding-dong arguments via chat and via phone with Charter's
    > tech support about the serious unreliability of its newsgroup operation,
    > actually subcontracted out to a Phoenix outfit called HighWinds Media.
    >
    > I honestly think that Charter has a conscious plan afoot to kill off its
    > newsgroup access.  They make usenet unreliable, so people stop using it..  A
    > self-fulfilling prophecy like the current US Govt Executive Branch takingthe
    > position that less government is better, then staffing with incompetents and
    > cronys, then saying that they told you so that less government is really better.
    > But I digress.  Again.  But not much.  See below.
    >
    > My position is that terminating newsgroup access infringes upon my first
    > amendment rights of freedom of speech.  Perhaps someone at the ACLU could go for
    > an injunction to stop Comcast (already dragged thru the mud lately) from
    > terminating its usenet service.  Or maybe just a few first amendment emails to
    > the Congressmen who represent you?  Or, hey, make some noise to the local media
    > (TV or print is fine) and possibly some national news service will pick up the
    > story.
    >
    > I have already complained to my congressmen, my representatives in the state
    > house and the FCC about the incompetence and high expense of my Charter
    > broadband.  The FCC takes the position that it does not regulate ISPs, only
    > telephone and TV.  (Are we surprised? The current FCC does not want to regulate
    > ISPs, either, and we have some of the worst internet service in the civilized
    > world with among the highest prices.)  So Comcast, Charter, and their ilk can do
    > as they please to us and with us.
    >
    > So start making some public noise about this mess.  I intend to continue to
    > pillory Charter for its continued screwups at the high price I am paying.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:38:18 -0400, "Daddy" <> wrote:
    > >My ISP - Comcast - is following the lead of other ISPs and discontinuingnewsgroup service. I can continue to access this newsgroup until some timein October, then I have to find another usenet provider.

    > >It's not like there aren't other providers, both free and paid. (I follow this newsgroup at work through a free provider.) Free providers are fine,but you can't always count on them being around when they're not making any money. And as much as I enjoy your company, in a perverse sort of way, I'm not prepared to pay for the privilege.

    > >Given the dwindling support for usenet, are there any plans to host thisgroup on something other than usenet?

    > >Daddy- Hide quoted text -

    You may have "Feeedom of Speech" but....

    You have to provide your own soapbox.

    Everyone else has the freedom to *NOT* provide you with a soapbox to
    exercise that right.
    , Sep 19, 2008
  6. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Sending letters is good when you have the name and address of a real person to
    whom to send the letter. Anybody got Paul Allen's real street address? He is
    the ex-Microsoftie, owner of the dreadful Portland TrailBlazers bball team,
    billionaire grand poobah of Charter Communications. These scumbags hide behind
    the third world support. Honestly, I have had far more success going the
    government route. They do listen when people from the govt call, tho they may
    not do anything... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 19, 2008
  7. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    True. Let's use the phone company as an analogy, because the first amendment
    certainly applies to phones. I pay my phone bill. I can say what I want over
    the phone, although the govt may be tapping my phone. The implict contract with
    the phone company is that I can talk all I want on the phone as long as I pay my
    phone bill, and phone company agrees to provide reliable phone service to the
    best of its abilities. Verizon does well around here, and my land-based phone
    service is somewhat better than 99.9% reliable (informal measurement).

    Now, Charter offers an internet package and I pay my bills on time. Usenet
    access is part of that package, as stated on Charter's web site. The implict
    contract with Charter is that I can talk on usenet all I want as long as I pay
    my Charter bill, and Charter agrees to provide reliable Usenet to the best of
    its abilities. Now for some reasonableness. Usenet is low bandwidth, unlike
    file sharing, so none of us can saturate the bandwidth with usenet. I have to
    agree to nto spam via usenet, which I do.

    Still a first amendment issue in my book... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 19, 2008
  8. Ben Myers

    Tom Lake Guest

    > Now, Charter offers an internet package and I pay my bills on time. Usenet
    > access is part of that package, as stated on Charter's web site. The implict
    > contract with Charter is that I can talk on usenet all I want as long as I pay
    > my Charter bill, and Charter agrees to provide reliable Usenet to the best of
    > its abilities. Now for some reasonableness. Usenet is low bandwidth, unlike
    > file sharing, so none of us can saturate the bandwidth with usenet. I have to
    > agree to nto spam via usenet, which I do.

    Unless your contract with Charter is different from most other ISPs contracts,
    there's no mention of Usenet at all. The contract is for Internet access.
    There's no implicit contract, only what's in writing (explicit). If your contract
    specifies that Charter is to provide you with Usenet access and then they
    eliminate that access then you have grounds for a civil suit against them
    for breach of contract. It's still not a Constitutional issue.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Sep 19, 2008
  9. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Usenet is available through Charter per their statement on their web site of
    what they offer as their broadband internet service. It is in "writing", hence
    their side of the contractual committment. Of course, like anything written on
    the web, it can be changed by the webmaster at any time.

    Like nearly all ISPs, though, Charter makes no committment to up-time or
    availability for their internet offerings. (Yes, yes, yes, I know there are
    factors outside their control like hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes. Same as
    the telcos.) The FCC takes the position that it does not regulate ISPs, hence
    nobody is able to impose on ISPs to toe the line and meet any service goal. In
    short, what you see is what you get and you better like it because you have no
    choice in most locales. There is very little competition in this country among
    broadband internet service providers, except where Verizon has introduced its
    FIOS and in some high-density population major metro areas. In short, most of
    us are prey to an ISP monopoly that does what it wants.

    And I agree to disagree and still claim that if an ISP pulls the plug on usenet,
    the ISP is infringing on First Amendment rights to free speech... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 19, 2008
  10. Looks like Charter removed any mention of newsgroups on their site
    regarding it being part of the Internet Service. They do have support
    for it though.

    Dan

    Dan Sgambelluri, Sep 19, 2008
  11. Ben Myers

    Tom Lake Guest

    > And I agree to disagree and still claim that if an ISP pulls the plug on usenet,
    > the ISP is infringing on First Amendment rights to free speech... Ben Myers

    Maybe if it was the only Internet service you could make that case but
    since there are alternatives, it won't fly.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Sep 19, 2008
  12. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    True. I happen to be within two miles of the Verizon CO, so I could downgrade
    to Verizon DSL. I may do so, but I'm holding out for FIOS, which everyone
    around here really likes... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 19, 2008
  13. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 12:57:13 -0400, Dan Sgambelluri <>
    wrote:

    >Looks like Charter removed any mention of newsgroups on their site
    >regarding it being part of the Internet Service. They do have support
    >for it though.
    >
    >Dan

    Charter's "support" for newsgroups! You be the judge. Here is a Charter Chat
    transcript:

    Thank you for choosing Charter Chat Live! A Customer Care representative from
    HSD Support will be with you shortly.
    You are currently number 3 in the queue.
    All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
    You are currently number 1 in the queue.
    You have been connected to TTD Cisell .
    ben myers: 502 Access Denied (Connection Limit Reached) (newsfe03.iad) (Tornado
    v1.0.9.482)

    Configuration:
    Account: nntp.charter.net
    Server: nntp.charter.net
    Protocol: NNTP
    Port: 119
    Secure(SSL): 0
    Error Number: 502
    Code: 800ccca0
    This has been going on for 3 days, but sometimes it works OK.
    ben myers: I just sent you the response I am getting from Charter's news server,
    NNTP.CHARTER.NET. It is broken and needs to be repaired.
    ben myers: Did you receive my 2 earlier messages? Please acknowledge.
    TTD Cisell : Thank you. One moment, please.
    ben myers: I am using Outlook Express, as suggested by Charter telephone
    support. Previously, I have been using Free Agent, which Charter "does not
    support." In the last 6 years, NNTP.CHARTER.NET has worked generally very well.
    What has happened to your sevice in the last 3 days?
    TTD Cisell : You need to change both incoming and outgoing mail server settings
    on your Outlook/Outlook Express to match the mail server settings of the service
    provider.
    Mail Client Server Settings (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc):
    Incoming mail server = pop.charter.net
    Outgoing mail server = smtp.charter.net
    ben myers: This is NOT an email problem!!!!! It is a problem with Charter's NEWS
    server. The mail settings are unimportant!!!
    TTD Cisell : The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other
    problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at
    a later time.
    ben myers: Repeat: This problem has been going on for the last 3 days. Sometimes
    NNTP.CHARTER.NET responds properly, but not very often. NNTP.CHARTER.NET is not
    a web server.
    TTD Cisell : Correct server settings (nntp.charter.net).
    TTD Cisell : 2 simultaneous connections are allowed.
    ben myers: Better still, please escalate the problem to someone at Charter who
    has an operational knowledge of news servers and news readers and who can
    duplicate the problem.
    TTD Cisell : I am very sorry. Please call our level II support at 1-888-438-2427
    for further assistance.
    TTD Cisell : I am very sorry, but you need to call.
    TTD Cisell : Please call our level II support at 1-888-438-2427 for further
    assistance.
    ben myers: YES my settings are nntp.charter.net and there is never more than one
    simultaneous connection from here. It is Charter's problem. Please escalate it
    yourself. You have all the information here that you need.
    TTD Cisell : I am very sorry. Please call our level II support at 1-888-438-2427
    for further assistance.
    ben myers: This has been a complete waste of my time. Charter needs to do better
    with its tech support!!!!!!

    Now here is an email. Note it is not addressed to anyone at Charter.

    From: Me
    Subject: nntp.charter.net non operational

    Charter's telephone tech support has told me to escalate the following to your
    attention, because Highwinds operates Charter's news server.

    Following is the response I get from nntp.charter.net (IP address 69.16.185.250)
    whenever I attempt to access it using either Outlook Express, Free Agent, or
    Firefox.

    502 Access Denied (Connection Limit Reached) (newsfe03.iad) (Tornado v1.0.9.482)

    Configuration:
    Account: nntp.charter.net
    Server: nntp.charter.net
    Protocol: NNTP
    Port: 119
    Secure(SSL): 0
    Error Number: 502
    Code: 800ccca0

    This problem has persisted for the last three days, although occasionally (one
    time in ten at best) I actually succeed in accessing several usenet groups. I
    do not have any other newsreader applications running in this computer, so the
    message "Connection Limit Reached" is in error. Over the last six years that I
    have been a Charter customer, its news service has operated properly by and
    large, so something has gone haywire on your end in the last three days. Please
    verify these symptoms independently and take the necessary corrective action.
    If you need any further information from me, please ask. Thank you for your
    prompt attention to this matter.

    Ben Myers

    That shows exactly what kind of support Charter offers for newsgroups. None.
    Nil. Zero. Nulla. Niente.
    Ben Myers, Sep 19, 2008
  14. Ben Myers wrote:
> [...]

    > Error Number: 502
    > Code: 800ccca0
    >
    > This problem has persisted for the last three days, although occasionally (one
    > time in ten at best) I actually succeed in accessing several usenet groups. I
    > do not have any other newsreader applications running in this computer, so the
    > message "Connection Limit Reached" is in error. Over the last six years that I
    > have been a Charter customer, its news service has operated properly by and
    > large, so something has gone haywire on your end in the last three days. Please
    > verify these symptoms independently and take the necessary corrective action.
    > If you need any further information from me, please ask. Thank you for your
    > prompt attention to this matter.
    >
    > Ben Myers
    >
    > That shows exactly what kind of support Charter offers for newsgroups. None.

    At least, they didn't blame your PC for it not working.
    Dan Sgambelluri, Sep 20, 2008
  15. Ben Myers

    Daddy Guest

    Well, I signed up with Motzarella. So far it's /molto bene/.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Sep 22, 2008
  16. Ben Myers

    Phred Guest

    In article <>, ben_myers_spam_me_not at charter.net wrote:
    >I just had a couple ding-dong arguments via chat and via phone with Charter's
    >tech support about the serious unreliability of its newsgroup operation,
    >actually subcontracted out to a Phoenix outfit called HighWinds Media.
    >
    >I honestly think that Charter has a conscious plan afoot to kill off its
    >newsgroup access. They make usenet unreliable, so people stop using it. A
    >self-fulfilling prophecy like the current US Govt Executive Branch taking the
    >position that less government is better, then staffing with incompetents and
    >cronys, then saying that they told you so that less government is really
    >better.
    >But I digress. Again. But not much. See below.
    >
    >My position is that terminating newsgroup access infringes upon my first
    >amendment rights of freedom of speech. Perhaps someone at the ACLU could go
    >for an injunction to stop Comcast (already dragged thru the mud lately) from
    >terminating its usenet service. Or maybe just a few first amendment emails to
    >the Congressmen who represent you? Or, hey, make some noise to the local media
    >(TV or print is fine) and possibly some national news service will pick up the
    >story.
    >
    >I have already complained to my congressmen, my representatives in the state
    >house and the FCC about the incompetence and high expense of my Charter
    >broadband. The FCC takes the position that it does not regulate ISPs, only
    >telephone and TV. (Are we surprised? The current FCC does not want to regulate
    >ISPs, either, and we have some of the worst internet service in the civilized
    >world with among the highest prices.) So Comcast, Charter, and their ilk can
    > do as they please to us and with us.
    >
    >So start making some public noise about this mess. I intend to continue to
    >pillory Charter for its continued screwups at the high price I am paying.

    G'day Ben,

    If you're so unhappy, why don't you move to another ISP?

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    LID
    Phred, Sep 23, 2008
  17. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    My choices for another ISP in my town are Verizon with S-L-O-W DSL or a number
    of dialup ISPs at 56K bits/second. I have decided to wait until Verizon runs
    fiber optic through my town and then offers its very FAST FIOS service. I'll be
    damned if I'll go back to dialup or something much slower than what I have right
    now.

    Ever since I have been able to vote for president in the US, I have always voted
    for the "least worst" candidate, because there were/are really and truly no very
    good ones in our thoroughly corrupted US political system. Likewise, I have
    made the "least worst" choice for ISP.

    You do not want to know the mess the US has made of broadband internet. Be
    thankful you do not live here, for this and maybe for other reasons in the
    unfolding financial crisis... Ben Myers

    <SNIP>

    Ben Myers, Sep 23, 2008