Re: Major ISPs dropping Usenet

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Paul, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    nospam wrote:
    > Time-Warner is dropping all newsgroups. Verizon is keeping most of
    > the Big-8 but is dropping the entire alt.* hierarchy, which includes this
    > group.
    >
    > Keep this in mind for future posts, and you may wish to migrate any
    > existing discussions to a non-alt.* group.

    There are free news servers. You don't have to use Google to get here.

    news.aioe.org (no registration, limited postings per day)
    news.motzarella.org (registration, don't know what the rules are)

    I'm using both of those right now. If there is a problem with one,
    I switch to the other. And there are other servers around as well,
    that I haven't tried.

    Discussed in alt.free.newsservers (when the regulars aren't sniping
    at one another).

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 14, 2008

  2. Paul

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Paul" typed:
    > nospam wrote:
    >> Time-Warner is dropping all newsgroups. Verizon is keeping most of
    >> the Big-8 but is dropping the entire alt.* hierarchy, which includes
    >> this group.
    >>
    >> Keep this in mind for future posts, and you may wish to migrate any
    >> existing discussions to a non-alt.* group.
    >>

    > There are free news servers. You don't have to use Google to get here.
    >
    > news.aioe.org (no registration, limited postings per day)
    > news.motzarella.org (registration, don't know what the rules are)
    >
    > I'm using both of those right now. If there is a problem with one,
    > I switch to the other. And there are other servers around as well,
    > that I haven't tried.
    >
    > Discussed in alt.free.newsservers (when the regulars aren't sniping
    > at one another).

    Now if only Google would can GoogleGroups we'd get back to a situation such
    as existed years ago, when I first found usenet; Only geeks and intelligent
    people (for the most part) posting. <sigh> The good old days.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 15, 2008