Re: Major ISPs dropping Usenet

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by geoff, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. geoff

    geoff Guest

    The articles I read said he had his investigators sign up for i-net service
    with various ISPs and they used software to analyze pictures and determine
    what is child porn.

    When child porn is found, his investigators, posing as customers, would
    complain but usually the ISP did nothing.

    Cuomo threatened to charge them with false advertising and fraud, so, the
    three major ISPs, that he threatened with a lawsuit, decided to drop usenet
    or delete major parts of it from their servers. T-W also agreed to install
    hardware/software that analyzes packets to determine if something is child
    porn.

    This raises two other questions:

    1. ISPs hold a common carrier status meaning they do not check the contents
    of what is posted. In other words, if you owned a phone company, you are
    not responsible if two people plan a bank robbery over your phone lines.
    Would T-W now lose their common carrier status?

    2. It seems analyzing packets violates federal wire tapping laws.

    From Cuomo's point of view, it is a way to get name recognition. For people
    who trade in child porn, they will find other outlets as needed.

    The effect on usenet is, Cuomo is still going after other ISPs, if the 5
    major ISPs do not offer access anymore or limited access then it seems there
    would be very little activity. Someone here might post a question and there
    would be no response or maybe 1 response.

    From a historical perspective, if this is the death of usenet, does Cuomo
    really want to remembered in the history books as the guy who killed usenet?
    His solution is like saying there are so many drug deals and murders in
    Miami, we've decided to cut phone service there.

    --g

    1. Advertising

  2. SteveH

    SteveH Guest

    geoff wrote:

    > From a historical perspective, if this is the death of usenet, does
    > Cuomo really want to remembered in the history books as the guy who
    > killed usenet? His solution is like saying there are so many drug
    > deals and murders in Miami, we've decided to cut phone service there.
    >
    > --g

    I also wonder if the hands of Hollywood and the music industry are somewhere
    behind this. Lets face it, if the .alt groups (or more) get dropped, it will
    be doing them a favour.
    --
    SteveH

    1. Advertising

  3. geoff

    geoff Guest

    > I also wonder if the hands of Hollywood and the music industry are
    > somewhere behind this. Lets face it, if the .alt groups (or more) get
    > dropped, it will be doing them a favour.

    Once the hardware is in place to monitor packets, it can be extended to look
    for music/songs and other things.

    Also, the RIAA can now use the same pattern and go after ISPs saying they
    found copyrighted material in a newsgroup and when it is not deleted, the
    ISPs can be threatened with charges of fraud, etc.

    Under the current plan, with three major ISPs dropping usenet, or major
    parts of it, this will affect about 50 million people.

    --g

  4. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:24:14 GMT, "geoff" <> wrote:

    >From Cuomo's point of view, it is a way to get name recognition. For people
    >who trade in child porn, they will find other outlets as needed.

    For one thing, there are thousands of nntp servers, many of them
    available for free or for a fee. Shutting down the ISP access is just
    a small speed bump as someone said. Most saavy users will simply
    change the news server address to those still offering full access.

    >The effect on usenet is, Cuomo is still going after other ISPs, if the 5
    >major ISPs do not offer access anymore or limited access then it seems there
    >would be very little activity. Someone here might post a question and there
    >would be no response or maybe 1 response.

    IMO this action by Cuomo would probably reduce the number of usenet
    regulars but not enough to kill off USENET. USENET itself has been on
    the decline for years. I can remember when 100+ posts a day were the
    norm and epic flame war that lasted 2000 posts before it died. Today
    I am hard pressed to find active group that regularly get 100+ a day
    that isn't mostly spams and trolls.