Re: Matrox & Asus Being Jerks! P4C800-E Dlx + P650/P750 Fails During Boot!

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Rapu Rapala, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. Rapu Rapala

    Rapu Rapala Guest

    > Normally BIOS code by definition IS in host CPU code. Such code is NOT
    CPU
    > independent and therefore most PCI or ISA bus PC cards are NOT CPU
    > independent! They are x86 CPU dependent.

    Ron, the cards are connected to the motherboard using a bus such as ISA,
    EIDE, VESA, PCI, PCI-X, AGP.. the host system processor does send commands
    to the card using either input/output ports or memory mapping, where writes
    to specific address are sent to the card through the bus.

    If the host processor wants to execute code from the BIOS, it can do this,
    but the results are in CPU local registers and address space. If the CPU
    wants something to happen, it must again write back to the memory mapped
    region or use output ports.

    The device must be able to respond to the command stream from the host
    system and do whatever it is this device is supposed to be doing. The host
    processor can only send command stream to the device. This code is very
    rarely x86 specific in any way or form, it is more often hardware specific
    values which change the hardware state.

    You seriously don't try to make anyone belive that most PC add-on boards
    have x86 compatible processor on them!? If not, what precisely is the factor
    that you feel that does make them (all?) x86 CPU dependent? Please come
    again, this is going to be very interesting.

    Rapu Rapala, Apr 5, 2004

  2. Rapu Rapala

    Rapu Rapala Guest

    FWIW, IBM PC compatible BIOS for a motherboard is example of device which
    *does* have a x86 compatible CPU very often. Stating that all add-on boards
    do, is naive- why would they need to store driver code in ROM when it can be
    loaded off the hard-drive by the OS and thereby even upgraded without
    flashing? ;-)

    As far as I know of, most cards do have a Windows drivers for instance which
    are NOT loaded off ROM. ;-)

    Rapu Rapala, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Rapu Rapala

    Rapu Rapala Guest

    > As far as I know of, most cards do have a Windows drivers for instance
    which
    > are NOT loaded off ROM. ;-)

    ... except the VGA/VBE bios which is used through interrupt 0x10 .. which is
    required feature only on IBM PC compatible systems.. if you drop such PCI
    card to another architechture, you can still command it through the bus..
    just more code to write, on the other hand the VBE BIOS is not very commonly
    used anymore except for booting, maybe by the motherboard BIOS (int 0x21)
    and some archaic "SVGA generic" drivers in Linux and MS-DOS, if you happen
    to boot it for some bizarre reason.

    Some text-mode tools also propably find it more convenient to use int 0x10
    rather than write driver for all possible gfx card.. but again.. this is
    just IBM PC compatible proprietary feature for cards which are supposed to
    work on one.

    But I don't see any technical reason why you couldn't use virtually any PCI
    card meant for "IBM PC" in any system which has PCI bus, as long as you have
    the software for the feat. Ron seemingly does, what a strange fellow!

    Rapu Rapala, Apr 5, 2004
  4. Rapu Rapala

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    "Rapu Rapala" <> wrote in message
    > > Normally BIOS code by definition IS in host CPU code. Such code is NOT

    > CPU
    > > independent and therefore most PCI or ISA bus PC cards are NOT CPU
    > > independent! They are x86 CPU dependent.

    > Ron, the cards are connected to the motherboard using a bus such as ISA,
    > EIDE, VESA, PCI, PCI-X, AGP.. the host system processor does send

    commands
    > to the card using either input/output ports or memory mapping, where

    writes
    > to specific address are sent to the card through the bus.
    >
    > If the host processor wants to execute code from the BIOS, it can do this,
    > but the results are in CPU local registers and address space. If the CPU
    > wants something to happen, it must again write back to the memory mapped
    > region or use output ports.
    >
    > The device must be able to respond to the command stream from the host
    > system and do whatever it is this device is supposed to be doing. The host
    > processor can only send command stream to the device. This code is very
    > rarely x86 specific in any way or form, it is more often hardware specific
    > values which change the hardware state.
    >
    > You seriously don't try to make anyone belive that most PC add-on boards
    > have x86 compatible processor on them!? If not, what precisely is the

    factor
    > that you feel that does make them (all?) x86 CPU dependent? Please come
    > again, this is going to be very interesting.

    HUH, reread the thread.

    Ron Reaugh, Apr 5, 2004
  5. Rapu Rapala

    > FWIW, IBM PC compatible BIOS for a motherboard is example of device which
    > *does* have a x86 compatible CPU very often.

    DUH!

    > Stating that all add-on boards
    > do,

    No one ever stated that especially me. If you read the whole thread you'd
    see that. The code on a card/controller is specific to the CPU on that
    card, which could even be an 80186, such code is referred to as firmware
    and not BIOS.

    Some cards also(in addition) may have actual BIOS code(x86 code) that is
    registered with the mobo BIOS and essentailly becomes part of that x86 boot
    code set.

    Ron Reaugh, Apr 5, 2004
  6. Rapu Rapala

    > > As far as I know of, most cards do have a Windows drivers for instance

    > which
    > > are NOT loaded off ROM. ;-)

    > .. except the VGA/VBE bios which is used through interrupt 0x10 ..

    OH, so now you are saying x86 code entry...now you got it.

    >which is
    > required feature only on IBM PC compatible systems.. if you drop such PCI
    > card to another architechture, you can still command it through the bus..
    > just more code to write, on the other hand the VBE BIOS

    That's x86 code

    > is not very commonly
    > used anymore except for booting,

    Now you got it.

    > maybe by the motherboard BIOS (int 0x21)
    > and some archaic "SVGA generic" drivers in Linux and MS-DOS, if you happen
    > to boot it for some bizarre reason.
    >
    > Some text-mode tools also propably find it more convenient to use int 0x10
    > rather than write driver for all possible gfx card.. but again.. this is
    > just IBM PC compatible proprietary feature for cards which are supposed to
    > work on one.
    >
    > But I don't see any technical reason why you couldn't use virtually any

    PCI
    > card meant for "IBM PC" in any system which has PCI bus, as long as you

    have
    > the software for the feat. Ron seemingly does, what a strange fellow!

    Get a clue cretin.

    Ron Reaugh, Apr 5, 2004
  7. Rapu Rapala

    Rapu Rapala Guest

    >> .. except the VGA/VBE bios which is used through interrupt 0x10 ..
    > OH, so now you are saying x86 code entry...now you got it.

    No... I was covering every contingency, unlike you, loser. With assholes
    like you that is mandatory, otherwise little piss-ant loser like you can
    point out even tiniest omission.. next you propably are going to point out
    how poor grammar I've got, because that's all you are going to be able to
    complain about, loser.

    Oh, hey, loser, while at it.. the VGA/VBE bios on gfx cards is required only
    on IBM PC compatibles.. now you *might* get it.. I think you won't, because
    you have shown consistently being stupid, loser.

    > > required feature only on IBM PC compatible systems.. if you drop such

    PCI
    > > card to another architechture, you can still command it through the

    bus..
    > > just more code to write, on the other hand the VBE BIOS

    > That's x86 code

    Wrong, loser, the PCI specification is not tied to x86 specificly, loser. It
    is just so, that IBM PC compatibles expect the gfx card for example to have
    VGA/VBE BIOS. Other architechtures are not so much concerned about presense
    of VGA/VBE BIOS than IBM PC compatibles, they will accept the cards just
    fine, unless they have their own requirements, which are less likely to be
    port-level hardware level compatibility. As long as you got driver, you're
    all set. No hardware obstacle for anything like you claim, loser.

    > > is not very commonly
    > > used anymore except for booting,

    > Now you got it.

    You little piece of shit, if you knew this all along how come I am the one
    who had to write it down for the record? Even if you know this stuff, you
    sure suck at putting it down in writing, loser. Should be trivial for you as
    it is for me, you little worthless shit.

    > Get a clue cretin.

    So far you have been saying that "now you got it" and so on, as if I were
    right. Now you ask me to get a clue.. so which is it going to be, you little
    weasel? I'm sorry, did I get your feelings hurt by proving you're wrong? Oh
    my..

    Rapu Rapala, Apr 5, 2004
  8. Rapu Rapala

    Rapu Rapala Guest

    > No one ever stated that especially me. If you read the whole thread you'd
    > see that. The code on a card/controller is specific to the CPU on that
    > card, which could even be an 80186, such code is referred to as firmware
    > and not BIOS.

    Now you finally got it.

    > Some cards also(in addition) may have actual BIOS code(x86 code) that is
    > registered with the mobo BIOS and essentailly becomes part of that x86

    boot
    > code set.

    About time you start making sense, loser.

    Rapu Rapala, Apr 5, 2004
  9. Rapu Rapala

    Rapu Rapala Guest

    > HUH, reread the thread.

    I rather cross dress to woman's lingerie while masturbating watching woman
    getting fucked by a pony, but thanks anyway.

    Rapu Rapala, Apr 5, 2004
  10. Rapu Rapala

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    Ah, I see...more of the Matrox marketing tag team.

    Ron Reaugh, Apr 5, 2004
  11. Rapu Rapala

    Rapu Rapala Guest

    > Ah, I see...more of the Matrox marketing tag team.

    Oh my, Ron Reaugh trying to get the last word! Now on my watch, bitch! ;-)

    Rapu Rapala, Apr 5, 2004