Re: memory for packard bell

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by barbnewman, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. barbnewman

    barbnewman Guest

    thanks ben. front of computer indicates 64 MB SDRAM, and i currently have

    barbnewman, Mar 27, 2005

  2. barbnewman

    Ben Myers Guest

    The computer shops are undoubtedly correct. 168-pin DIMM memory with LOW
    density chips is no longer made because low density chips are no longer
    manufactured. The local computer shops are also undoubtedly reacting in
    ignorance as to just what sort of hardware goes inside a PB system. Many shops
    seem to have clear allergic reactions to different name brands, when all it
    takes is a little bit of knowledge to understand that the name brands depend on
    the same commodity suppliers as everyone else.

    I am amazed that XP even runs at all in 64MB. For sure, your system would work
    just fine with 128MB non-parity DIMMS, either PC66 or PC100. It MAY work
    properly with 256MB, which are devilishly hard to find with low density chips.

    Don't despair. This sort of memory is plentiful. It's just that you have to
    buy used memory, which is no huge risk at the bargain basement prices it sells
    for. Your best bet is probably to mail order the memory from a reputable
    source, or maybe even to buy on eBay from a seller with a good feedback record.

    As a frame of reference, I usually sell this sort of memory for $US 25 for
    128MB, installed for my clients... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 27, 2005

  3. barbnewman

    barb Guest

    thanks ben. helps a lot.