Re: Memory problems

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by SC Tom, Jan 11, 2009.

  1. SC Tom

    SC Tom Guest

    "Jackcheese" <> wrote in message

    > I ordered new ram Four 2Ghz PC5300 667 PC-2 667Mhz DDR2 and it will not
    > boot
    > So the scammers sent me another set of ram and again no worky 3 long
    > beeps
    > I put my four 512Mhz PC5300 667 PC-2 667Mhz DDR2 back in and it boots
    > up
    > is it bad ram? My board will support 8Ghz but the shliz they send me
    > wont work and they want 15% to restock bad ram:mad: E Bay '2GB PC5300
    > 667 PC-2 667Mhz DDR2 PC 5300 DESKTOP RAM MEM - eBay (item 110304640465
    > end time Dec-26-08 07:47:52 PST)' (http://tinyurl.com/95usam) I would
    > recommend not buying from them :mad:

    It could be the RAM, but 3 long beeps is also a keyboard error, depending on
    the motherboard and BIOS. Does anything at all show on the screen when you
    turn it on?

    Try testing the RAM- put only 2 in at a time and see if it boots. If not,
    take one out and put one of the other new sticks in. Continue until you've
    tested them all this way. If it never boots with any 2 of them, I'd say
    they're either bad or not suited for your board (ECC vs. non-ECC).
    If it does boot with just 2, it looks like your board doesn't support 8GB.

    SC Tom
    SC Tom, Jan 11, 2009