Re: MITAC MiNote 8640SH-15 - please, anybody!

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Nesquik wrote:
    > I'm thinking of buying this laptop but I can't find any user reviews
    > on it so I don't know what to expect.
    >
    > If anybody has/had some experiance with Mitac laptops please tell me
    > something about it.
    >
    > Is it a fair portable computer?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > http://www.mitac-mtc.com.tw/product.html (model 8640)
    >
    > specifications sheet:
    > http://www.mitac-mtc.com.tw/8640.pdf

    Not a review but an alt source of your laptop too check out the price. I
    have a MiTAC 8170 an earlier 2 GHz version of this laptop.

    Advantages: Fast, powerful, battery 2 hours, oh and did I say fast...
    Disadvantages: Hot, heavy, loud (Fan noise)

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?P28D12285

    --
    ©¿©¬

    I found it hard, it was hard to find, oh well, whatever, nevermind...

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish

    Yahoo ID pendragon_kernow

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=, Aug 6, 2003

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=

    Nesquik Guest

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:47:36 +0100, ©¿©¬ <>
    wrote:
    >Not a review but an alt source of your laptop too check out the price. I
    >have a MiTAC 8170 an earlier 2 GHz version of this laptop.
    >
    >Advantages: Fast, powerful, battery 2 hours, oh and did I say fast...
    >Disadvantages: Hot, heavy, loud (Fan noise)
    >
    >http://makeashorterlink.com/?P28D12285

    Thank you very much!

    I just visited mitac-europe website and I was searching for more
    information on MiNote 6840, it said there in product specs. that it
    has 14" TFT LCD, but the company where I wish to buy it said it has
    15" LCD.

    http://www.mitac-europe.com/home/products/

    Can you tell me what kind of LCD is on your mitac? 14" or 15" ?

    Checked out your home page. cool!

    Here's mine:
    http://www.geocities.com/tknapic

    Nesquik, Aug 7, 2003

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=

    Nesquik Guest

    One more question:

    Do you have any objections on it's keyboard? Some people said that it
    is "poor quality" (didn't precisely explained what does that mean).

    Thanks.

    Nesquik, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Nesquik wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:47:36 +0100, ©¿©¬ <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Not a review but an alt source of your laptop too check out the price. I
    >>have a MiTAC 8170 an earlier 2 GHz version of this laptop.
    >>
    >>Advantages: Fast, powerful, battery 2 hours, oh and did I say fast...
    >>Disadvantages: Hot, heavy, loud (Fan noise)
    >>
    >>http://makeashorterlink.com/?P28D12285

    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > I just visited mitac-europe website and I was searching for more
    > information on MiNote 6840, it said there in product specs. that it
    > has 14" TFT LCD, but the company where I wish to buy it said it has
    > 15" LCD.
    >
    > http://www.mitac-europe.com/home/products/
    >
    > Can you tell me what kind of LCD is on your mitac? 14" or 15" ?
    >
    > Checked out your home page. cool!
    >
    > Here's mine:
    > http://www.geocities.com/tknapic

    MiTAC sell incomplete laptops to re-sellers for them to finish to their
    own specifications, to the price they think is competitive. So two
    outwardly identical laptops from two different suppliers may have
    different spec's...

    Mine has a 14.1' screen the newer versions have a 15' screen.

    --
    ©¿©¬

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Nesquik wrote:

    > One more question:
    >
    > Do you have any objections on it's keyboard? Some people said that it
    > is "poor quality" (didn't precisely explained what does that mean).
    >
    > Thanks.

    The keyboard is fine on my Laptop, the keys on the left-hand side are a
    bit louder, so I guess that side is less well secured. I don't think
    it's a major problem...

    --
    ©¿©¬

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=, Aug 7, 2003
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=

    Nesquik Guest

    "©¿©¬" <> wrote in message
    > MiTAC sell incomplete laptops to re-sellers for them to finish to their
    > own specifications, to the price they think is competitive. So two
    > outwardly identical laptops from two different suppliers may have
    > different spec's...
    >
    > Mine has a 14.1' screen the newer versions have a 15' screen.

    Oh, I see. Thanks again. Here's the complete specs from my re-seller:
    http://www.hgspot.hr/opis.asp?ID=5246

    Please tell me what U think.

    Nesquik, Aug 7, 2003
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=

    Nesquik Guest

    "©¿©¬" <> wrote in message
    > That a chunky machine to only be fitted with a celeron CPU... Novatech
    > have a P4 HT 3GHz CPU in the same box

    I'm not all that hungry for raw CPU power. My desktop is AMD Athlon 800 and
    I'm satisfied with it. I think Celeron 2000 will do fine for my laptop.
    Beside, they are selling it at a really good price (below $1000).

    Perhaps it will not generate as much heat with celeron CPU?

    And, one more thing. I will often use it for DVD playback over built-in
    tv-out feature. Celeron 2000 should be able to handle DVD playback,
    shouldn't it?

    Thanks!

    Nesquik, Aug 7, 2003
  8. Nesquik wrote:

    > "©¿©¬" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>That a chunky machine to only be fitted with a celeron CPU... Novatech
    >>have a P4 HT 3GHz CPU in the same box

    > I'm not all that hungry for raw CPU power. My desktop is AMD Athlon 800 and
    > I'm satisfied with it. I think Celeron 2000 will do fine for my laptop.
    > Beside, they are selling it at a really good price (below $1000).
    >
    > Perhaps it will not generate as much heat with celeron CPU?
    >
    > And, one more thing. I will often use it for DVD playback over built-in
    > tv-out feature. Celeron 2000 should be able to handle DVD playback,
    > shouldn't it?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Should do fine for DVD & with the CPU speed it will run cooler, it's
    just that the whole package is probably over spec'ed for your needs. I
    would think you could get a better deal, that's all...

    Mind you if you want to upgrade later you know it'll be fine for a
    faster CPU.

    --
    ©¿©¬

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=, Aug 7, 2003
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=

    Nesquik Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 16:14:40 +0100, ©¿©¬ <>
    wrote:

    >Should do fine for DVD & with the CPU speed it will run cooler, it's
    >just that the whole package is probably over spec'ed for your needs. I
    >would think you could get a better deal, that's all...
    >
    >Mind you if you want to upgrade later you know it'll be fine for a
    >faster CPU.

    That's another thing I didn't think about. Upgrade my laptop. I always
    thought laptops to be much less upgradeable (less modular) than
    desktops. I always thought they have much proprietary parts.

    I think I'll buy this Mitac than. I'll propably make order tommorow.

    Thank you for all information and this interesting discussion. I owe
    you one now.

    Nesquik, Aug 7, 2003
  10. Nesquik wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:54:18 +0100, ©¿©¬ <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Let us know what you think once you have it, and good luck...

    > I just spoke to salesman today, he said they have no more Mitac
    > laptops on stock and offered me a Sony Vaio PCG-FX905
    > http://www.hgspot.hr/opis.asp?ID=5308
    >
    > It is just slightly more expensive than Mitac (arround $100) and I
    > think I'll take it. Don't know if anybody had some experiances with
    > Sony vaio laptops.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I would be a little concerned about the graphics, other wise it looks OK.

    --
    ©¿©¬

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=, Aug 12, 2003