Re: Need advice on which P55 mobo to choose

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by tanstafl, Oct 18, 2009.

  1. tanstafl

    tanstafl Guest

    On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:50:43 -0500, Scott <> wrote:

    >Was going to go for a P45 but decided to go for P55 instead but can't
    >decide on which of these 3 Gigabytes mobo's to get. My biggest concern
    >is the number and type of expansion slots.
    >For right now I'm only going to have a graphics card installed but I
    >want to make sure I'm ready for any future upgrades. I don't plan on
    >using SLI or crossfire.
    >
    >GA-P55-UD3R
    >1 PCIe 2.0 x16
    >1 PCIe x16 (@x4 bandwidth)
    >1 PCIe x1
    >4 PCI
    >
    >GA-P55-UD5
    >2 PCIe 2.0 x16
    >1 PCIe x16 (@x4 bandwidth)
    >2 PCIe x1
    >2 PCI
    >
    >GA-P55-UD4P
    >2 PCIe 2.0 x16
    >3 PCIe x1
    >2 PCI
    >
    >Will there ever be anything else besides a graphics card that will use
    >PCI x16?

    There are some large Raid cards, like the 3Ware 12,16,&24 port models
    that require 8 lane bandwidth. Haven't seen them, but multiport 10gig
    NICs would likely require 8 (or 4) lanes. Since card population seems
    important to you, be mindful that a large video card often will make
    an adjacent slot unusable - might be a PCIe-x1 or a PCI slot depending
    on the layout of the particular board.

    >How prevalent is PCI compare to PCIe x1?

    Most current boards still have 1 or 2, but they're getting scarcer.
    Soon, along with floppy, IDE and PS2 ports, they'll be migrating to
    dodo birdland.
    ----
    Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
    Have the best day possible - all things considered

    tanstafl, Oct 18, 2009