Re: Need some Laptop Hard drive help

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Ben Myers, Feb 27, 2009.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Larry wrote:
    > I am replaceing my nieces Hitachi Travlstar 100gb Ata/ide 54oo rpm. What
    > would be a good replacement drive ?. System is a Gatweway MX6440. I am not
    > sure about the ATA/IDE part , since i use a desktop with EIDE HD's.
    > Thanks Larry

    Best thing to do is to remove the drive and examine its connector(s) to
    the system. Some ATA/IDE drives have a little interposer which covers
    the 44-pin 2.5" IDE connector, arranged in two rows of 22 pins.

    A laptop SATA drive has two connectors that are exactly like the ones on
    a desktop drive. You might find photos on the web to help you figure
    out which type of drive to get.

    Right now, Seagate, Fujitsu and Western Digital are my favorite brands
    of laptop drives. Once you get the type of connector right, the brand
    otherwise does not matter, as both SATA and ATA/IDE drives are
    standardized across the industry... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Feb 27, 2009

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Larry wrote:
    > Ben Myers <> wrote in
    >
    >> Larry wrote:
    >>> I am replaceing my nieces Hitachi Travlstar 100gb Ata/ide 54oo rpm.
    >>> What would be a good replacement drive ?. System is a Gatweway
    >>> MX6440. I am not sure about the ATA/IDE part , since i use a desktop
    >>> with EIDE HD's. Thanks Larry

    >> Best thing to do is to remove the drive and examine its connector(s)
    >> to the system. Some ATA/IDE drives have a little interposer which
    >> covers the 44-pin 2.5" IDE connector, arranged in two rows of 22 pins.
    >>
    >> A laptop SATA drive has two connectors that are exactly like the ones
    >> on a desktop drive. You might find photos on the web to help you
    >> figure out which type of drive to get.
    >>
    >> Right now, Seagate, Fujitsu and Western Digital are my favorite brands
    >> of laptop drives. Once you get the type of connector right, the brand
    >> otherwise does not matter, as both SATA and ATA/IDE drives are
    >> standardized across the industry... Ben Myers
    >>

    > It's a ATA/IDE. I am not certain is ATA/IDE the same as EIDE?
    > Thanks Larry

    ATA/IDE = EIDE = PATA

    .... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, Feb 28, 2009