Re: New high-resolution screens from Lenovo

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2010.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tassinari wrote:
    > I used to admire Lenovo laptop screens, especially the UXGA
    > (1600x1200) Flexview on the T42/43P and T60/61P, until about a year
    > ago, when the mid-resolution ones (about 13xx or 14xx) came out on
    > the T400/410 and T500-510, and they were ugly, with horizontal lines,
    > which horrified me.
    > I have never seen the recent high-resolution screens (1600 or 1920) of
    > Lenovo laptops, specifically the T500/510 and W500-510 models.
    > Recently the WUXGA (1920x1200) was dropped and replaced by the
    > 1920x1080 screens, and I wonder whether they are still up to the
    > sharpness, clarity and beauty of the old Flexview UXGA (1600x1200)
    > screens on the T42/43P and T60/61P of three years ago or longer.
    >
    > Does anybody see them (the 1920x1200 and the 1920x1080 screens) and
    > can anybody provide any comparison with the old Flexview UXGA
    > (1600x1200) screens?

    Hi Tassinari. To the best of my knowledge there were never T61 Flexviews
    made. While Lenovo's latest screens seem fine I'll be using my FlexViews for
    as long as I can. (I have four running right now, two T60s, a T43 and an
    R50.) There's nothing to compare with them been made since.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2010

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tassinari wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tassinari wrote:
    >>> I used to admire Lenovo laptop screens, especially the UXGA
    >>> (1600x1200) Flexview on the T42/43P and T60/61P, until about a year
    >>> ago, when the mid-resolution ones (about 13xx or 14xx) came out on
    >>> the T400/410 and T500-510, and they were ugly, with horizontal
    >>> lines, which horrified me.
    >>> I have never seen the recent high-resolution screens (1600 or 1920)
    >>> of Lenovo laptops, specifically the T500/510 and W500-510 models.
    >>> Recently the WUXGA (1920x1200) was dropped and replaced by the
    >>> 1920x1080 screens, and I wonder whether they are still up to the
    >>> sharpness, clarity and beauty of the old Flexview UXGA (1600x1200)
    >>> screens on the T42/43P and T60/61P of three years ago or longer.
    >>>
    >>> Does anybody see them (the 1920x1200 and the 1920x1080 screens) and
    >>> can anybody provide any comparison with the old Flexview UXGA
    >>> (1600x1200) screens?

    >> Hi Tassinari. To the best of my knowledge there were never T61
    >> Flexviews made. While Lenovo's latest screens seem fine I'll be
    >> using my FlexViews for as long as I can. (I have four running right
    >> now, two T60s, a T43 and an R50.) There's nothing to compare with
    >> them been made since.

    > Thank you. While Lenovo's latest screens seem fine to you, the
    > high-resolution ones (the 1920x1200 and the 1920x1080 screens) do not
    > look ugly to you, do they?

    Well.... No worse than most other contemporary displays. However not even in
    the same class as FlexViews.

    > The mid-resolution ones (about 13xx or 14xx) on the T400/410 and
    > T500-510 to me look *ugly, fuzzy, grainy, with horizontal lines,*
    > contrary to the sharpness, clarity and beauty of the old Flexview UXGA
    > (1600x1200) screens on the T42/43P and T60P.

    I tried a UXGA FlexView and found it *too* hi-res in 15". (I have two 20"
    Dell UXGA IPS desktop monitors and, to my eyes, 20" and UXGA is a good mix.)
    Consequently I've bought my ThinkPads with (15") SXGA+ FlexViews and find
    them to be a perfect pixel density for my use. Also, most of the various XXp
    ThinkPads (that came with UXGA) had more powerful GPUs that could be a major
    problem w/r/t overheating.

    I find the SXGA+ FlexView to be a thing of beauty though and will take the
    absolute best care of my ThinkPads hoping for a long life from them. They
    are all capable of running Win 7 adequately, the T60s run it very well
    (although I'm sticking with XP for now). That's part of the reason I prefer
    the cooler-running GPUs, longevity. It's also the reason a lot of people
    make 'FrankenPads', so that they can have UXGA without having a small
    furnace in the middle of their laptop.

    > I now have to buy a new
    > laptop, and if I buy a high-resolution Lenovo, with the 1920x1200 or
    > the 1920x1080 screens, it will be sight unseen, so I would like to
    > know your opinion on them.

    I'm sorry, I'd rather not have that responsibility. I've not taken *that*
    much notice of the few new hi-res Lenovo screens that I've seen and don't
    know of one that I can go look at right now for you.

    Honestly, I dislike the trend to glossy, 'widescreen' laptops so much that
    I've 'stocked up' with a couple highly-specced T60s which, I'm sure, will
    last me for quite a few years yet. I'm slowly upgrading CPUs to at least
    T7400s, as I can get them (I got my hands on an awesome LV T7400 out of a
    Viao a few months ago) as these are powerful CPUs with large L2 caches. As
    they come down in price I also intend to use SSDs with them. I already have
    them maxxed out on RAM (as DDR2 SODIMMs are starting to increase in price
    now that they're no longer mainstream).

    Anyway, best of luck with your search.

    ~misfit~, Oct 15, 2010