Re: New PCI QFE 501-5406 card in Ultra 30, for Don and others! :-)

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Barry L. Bond, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. Hi DoN!

    >> (This is the fourth time I've tried to post this article! It was written
    >> this late morning.)

    > Hmm ... where was the problem?

    I believe it was where my USENET is hosted.

    I use trn as my newsreader. And, I currently have my NNTPSERVER
    environment variable set to isp5.newshosting.com. (RoadRunner a couple of
    months ago stopped hosting USENET, but Bright House then provided a
    service. I have always used NNTP news.)

    Anyway, after about a minute (or more) delay, it said Remote Error.

    The fourth time I tried posting it, it worked.

    > Look on the back. You would either have a 13W3 connector (DB-25
    >size, but thee coax pins, and ten single conductor pins) in the first or
    >second slot under the audio slot, or a card with a VGA style 15-pin D
    >series connector in one of the bottom four slots. Whatever your monitor
    >plugs into. Sun calls these "framebuffers", while other just call them
    >"graphics cards". If you *have* one, and you're getting the error
    >message, it may have been damaged. You might try pulling it, as long as
    >you are using a plain ASCII terminal for the console instead of the Sun
    >keyboard and monitor. As long as you don't have a Sun keyboard plugged
    >in, you don't need the monitor anyway. :)

    Yes. I have a 13W3 connector, in the "0" slot near the bottom with
    what looks like a monitor symbol next to it. And, I have an adapter that
    allows use of a VGA (a "regular" PC) monitor), which is what I'm using.

    I do have a monitor and a keyboard plugged into appropriate slots on
    the back of the Ultra 30. In fact, I had never connected a terminal to
    TTYA or TTYB until I did so, responding to one of your early replies to me
    after the lightning strike.

    > You said something below about the monitor -- so you probably
    >do. As long as it works to display the system's status on boot with a
    >keyboard connected, you can perhaps ignore the error message.

    It displays the systems status on boot, and then provides a login.
    With the "disk" drive I'm using now, it is an ASCII-style login prompt. I
    can type root or barry and log into it, normally. (With my "disk1", the
    larger hard drive, after it boots it displays the Common Desktop graphical
    login. I didn't install the graphical stuff the first time I installed
    Solaris, because it was only a 4.2G disk.)

    I am ignoring it -- at least right now! :)

    >> I get:
    >>
    >><<>>
    >> 0 PCI 33 1 network-SUNW,hme
    >><<>>

    > What about any qfe possible entries?

    Good question! :-D

    >>>So you should see five of these -- one for the hme0 in the system board,
    >>>and the other four from the qfe card.

    >> Nope. Only one!
    >>
    >> (The path_to_inst file had entries for them all, but not that
    >> command.)

    > Interesting. What numbers did the path_to_inst file have? (It
    >is made more difficult by my not having a system running Solaris 8, or a
    >system with both Solaris and a QFE card installed to compare.)

    Here is an excerpt of six lines from my path_to_inst file:

    <<>>
    "/pci@1f,4000/pci@2/SUNW,qfe@2,1" 2 "qfe"
    "/pci@1f,4000/pci@2/SUNW,qfe@3,1" 3 "qfe"
    "/pci@1f,4000/pci@2/SUNW,qfe@0,1" 0 "qfe"
    "/pci@1f,4000/pci@2/SUNW,qfe@1,1" 1 "qfe"
    "/pci@1f,4000/network1,1" 0 "hme"
    "/pci@1f,4000/SUNW,hme@2,1" 1 "hme"
    <<>>

    >> Yes. A "man qfe" shows a man page with "qfe - SUNW,qfe Quad
    >> Fast-Ethernet device driver" under NAME.

    > Read through it, and see if it mentions anything special needed.
    >Perhaps it is something which should be in /opt/SUNWqfe which is only
    >installed if the card is detected during installation, just like the
    >/opt/SUNWleo for a particular framebuffer in the SPARCstation 5 which I
    >am still running.

    Reading through it...

    I see:

    <<>>
    The qfe driver is a "style 2" data link service provider. All M_PROTO and
    M_PCPROTO type messages are interpreted as DLPI primitives. Valid DLPI
    primitives are defined in <sys/dlpi.h>. Refer to dlpi(7P) for more
    information. An explicit DL_ATTACH_REQ message by the user is required to
    associate the opened stream with a particular device (ppa). The ppa ID is
    interpreted as an unsigned long data type and indicates the corresponding
    device instance (unit) number.

    Devices

    The driver returns an error (DL_ERROR_ACK) if the ppa field value does not
    correspond to a valid device instance number for this system. The device
    is initialized on first attach and de-initialized (stopped) at last
    detach.
    <<>>

    I can't say that I see anything like "this is needed". I excerpted
    the above because the DL_ERROR_ACK are the errors I am getting.

    It mentions the /dev/qfe "file", which I have.

    I do NOT have a "SUNWqfe" under /opt. The only things I have under
    /opt that starts with SUNW are:

    <<>>
    SUNWconn
    SUNWebnfs
    SUNWits
    SUNWrtvc
    SUNWste
    <<>>

    Do you still have the install CDs or DVDs?

    Yes.

    So, look on it/them for SUNWqfe? I'm checking, now...

    <sigh>

    At first, when I inserted the Solaris 8 Documentation CD, the drive
    drawer stayed closed. But, I couldn't see anything that happened. I
    checked "mount" and I couldn't see anything different.

    I googled, and tried various things (seeing stuff like volcheck,
    which didn't seem to be for CDs, to me).

    I then touched the button on the CD drive, and removed that CD, and
    inserted the Solaris 8 Installation CD. (What I'm looking for is a way to
    see whether something [such as SUNWqfe] is among what is to install, and I
    want to install that only, instead of installing all of Solaris. I've
    ONLY used it, twice, to install Solaris from scratch at this point.)

    But, when I place any CD in the drive now, and close the drawer (by
    either touching the button again or gently pushing on the open drawer
    until it closes), after a few seconds, the drawer opens again.

    I have a vague memory of when I got the larger hard drive, I
    installed Solaris from scratch using these CDs. (And, I had installed
    Solaris from these CDs when I first installed it, in 2003.)

    I seem to recall that the last time, I had to allow the air
    compressor to pump full of air, and I gave a good "air squirt" around the
    CD drive. Then, it worked!

    But, I did it, this time, and the drawer does NOT stay closed.

    Is there any way I can get the SUNWqfe that I guess may have been put
    in the /opt directory if I had had the QFE card installed when I last
    installed Solaris, other than on the CD?

    The ONLY THING I need at this point is something else to delay me
    if I have to replace the CD drive!

    The light blinks, as normal, when the drawer is closed. But, it
    opens again. (Perhaps the CD is not actually "spinning up?")

    Now, the drawer is even opening again even if I close it with NO CD
    in the drive!

    Doing a find looking for qfe in file names, though, I see these:

    <<>>
    /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWqfed
    /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWqfedx
    /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWqfedu
    <<>>

    Might that be them, just not in /opt?

    >> I got:
    >>
    >><<>>
    >> lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
    >> inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    >><<>>

    > So *nothing* is working other than the loopback pseudo-device.
    >Are the entries in /etc/path_to_inst still edited to different numbers?

    No. I put it back EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS before I edited anything!
    What I have excerpted above is how they currently look.

    > Add the original ethernet card back into the system (leaving the
    >QFE installed and finding another slot for the original card) and do
    >the:
    >
    > touch /reconfigure
    > reboot
    >
    >cycle and see what happens. In particular, look at the output from
    >
    > ifconfig -a
    >
    >to see whether the card is added back.

    Okay. The QFE card is in PCI slot 2. (Nothing was in 1, 3 or 4.)

    I just put the original ethernet card I had in slot 4. (This was to
    leave more room between the cards, for cleaning or whatever occasionally,
    if by some wonderful chance they remain this way...)

    I did a "boot -r".

    An "ifconfig -a" shows:

    <<>>
    lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    hme2: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
    inet 192.168.2.2 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    ether 8:0:20:8f:d3:67
    <<>>

    > Hmm ... another thing to check -- *which* slot is the QFE in?
    >according to the FEH the topmost PCI slot is a 3.3V 33/66 MHz slot,
    >while the other three are 5.0V 33 MHz and the QFE cards are 3.3/5V 33
    >MHz so I *think* that it should work in any slot, but try it in a
    >different slot anyway. Especially if it is in the topmost slot.

    It was and still is in PCI slot 2. It is not in the topmost slot.

    I'll wait on this and see whether you still want me to try this, in
    light of what I've included in this article.

    > Is your original card one of 501-4359, 501-5019, or 540-3981? If
    >so, it should work in the same slots -- but who knows. Hmm ... is the
    >card's connector fully seated along the length of the system board's
    >connector?

    I don't know. Can I tell by looking at the card? (Hmmm... looking
    at the "top" of the circuit board, I see a number 3697 on a little white
    sticker. That's the only thing I see, on the side I can see, other than
    "Sun, Assembled in USA" on another little white sticker.)

    Let me guess, there is something on the other side that indicates it?
    (Now that I have in the computer!) :-D (I should have "read ahead"
    before I put it in the computer, on the bottom PCI slot!) :-D

    And, yes, it is fully seated. I did verify this when I put it in the
    system, before I booted the first time afterward. And, it's nice. If it
    IS fully seated, that screw on the end is just for a little "hold", but it
    is already fully against the metal frame where the screw goes in -- if it
    is "in" fully in the motherboard slot.

    > Or -- could the PCI bus have been damaged by the lighting?
    >Consider getting a replacement system board as the safer (and surer) way
    >to go.

    I don't *think* so. At least, when I got home on Tuesday, July 22
    (it will be ONE MONTH tomorrow!), the Linux was still connected to the
    Sun's port via the card I just placed back in. And, mutt was working.
    And, I had 27 new emails, which I read, deleted, switched folders, etc.

    At least, the PCI slot that contained this card (which was in PCI
    slot 2, where the QFE is now) still appeared to be working.

    I'll put what you had at this point in a "Non-Sun-Stuff" email. :)

    However, I'm going to go out, before it gets darker, even though it
    is currently raining hard, and remove the hurricane shutters. Fay is
    FINALLY moving again! And, none of the computer models show her getting
    too close to where I live. And, now that she is finally heading westward
    over Florida, she surely is not likely to strengthen. So, it may be up to
    60-mph winds, but that's okay, and just continued lots of rain.

    My mother HATES the hurricane shutters up, because they block her
    ability to see out! :-D I am not confident that we're not going to need
    them, so I'm going out to take them down.

    Tomorrow morning, I take my mother to the Filutowski Cataract and
    Laser Institute. They'll check her eye (just over one week since the
    surgery) and confirm for us that Wednesday of next week, she'll have her
    right eye done. (This was not "in stone" until they saw her again, this
    week.)

    Barry
    --
    Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
    Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last
    Barry L. Bond, Aug 21, 2008

  2. Barry L. Bond

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-08-21, Barry L. Bond <> wrote:

    > Hi DoN!

    [ ... ]

    >> Look on the back. You would either have a 13W3 connector (DB-25
    >>size, but thee coax pins, and ten single conductor pins) in the first or
    >>second slot under the audio slot, or a card with a VGA style 15-pin D
    >>series connector in one of the bottom four slots. Whatever your monitor
    >>plugs into. Sun calls these "framebuffers", while other just call them
    >>"graphics cards". If you *have* one, and you're getting the error
    >>message, it may have been damaged. You might try pulling it, as long as
    >>you are using a plain ASCII terminal for the console instead of the Sun
    >>keyboard and monitor. As long as you don't have a Sun keyboard plugged
    >>in, you don't need the monitor anyway. :)

    > Yes. I have a 13W3 connector, in the "0" slot near the bottom with
    > what looks like a monitor symbol next to it.

    O.K. That is likely to be one of the Creator series or perhaps
    an Elite-3D. Does it have a small DIN connector down close to the tab
    of the card bracket? (Not that this is important for what we are
    dealing with.)

    > And, I have an adapter that
    > allows use of a VGA (a "regular" PC) monitor), which is what I'm using.

    O.K.

    > I do have a monitor and a keyboard plugged into appropriate slots on
    > the back of the Ultra 30. In fact, I had never connected a terminal to
    > TTYA or TTYB until I did so, responding to one of your early replies to me
    > after the lightning strike.

    O.K. With a serial terminal, you don't need the monitor or
    keyboard at all. The terminal's "break" key takes the place of the
    "Stop-A" pair on the keyboard.

    But that depends on the serial port working, and IIRC that also
    is zapped.

    >> You said something below about the monitor -- so you probably
    >>do. As long as it works to display the system's status on boot with a
    >>keyboard connected, you can perhaps ignore the error message.

    > It displays the systems status on boot, and then provides a login.
    > With the "disk" drive I'm using now, it is an ASCII-style login prompt. I
    > can type root or barry and log into it, normally. (With my "disk1", the
    > larger hard drive, after it boots it displays the Common Desktop graphical
    > login. I didn't install the graphical stuff the first time I installed
    > Solaris, because it was only a 4.2G disk.)

    O.K.

    > I am ignoring it -- at least right now! :)
    >
    >>> I get:
    >>>
    >>><<>>
    >>> 0 PCI 33 1 network-SUNW,hme
    >>><<>>

    >> What about any qfe possible entries?

    > Good question! :-D

    >>> Nope. Only one!
    >>>
    >>> (The path_to_inst file had entries for them all, but not that
    >>> command.)

    >> Interesting. What numbers did the path_to_inst file have? (It
    >>is made more difficult by my not having a system running Solaris 8, or a
    >>system with both Solaris and a QFE card installed to compare.)

    > Here is an excerpt of six lines from my path_to_inst file:
    >
    ><<>>
    > "/pci@1f,4000/pci@2/SUNW,qfe@2,1" 2 "qfe"
    > "/pci@1f,4000/pci@2/SUNW,qfe@3,1" 3 "qfe"
    > "/pci@1f,4000/pci@2/SUNW,qfe@0,1" 0 "qfe"
    > "/pci@1f,4000/pci@2/SUNW,qfe@1,1" 1 "qfe"
    > "/pci@1f,4000/network1,1" 0 "hme"
    > "/pci@1f,4000/SUNW,hme@2,1" 1 "hme"
    ><<>>

    O.K. Interesting the order that these are in, but the instance
    number matches the port number in the card's name.

    So -- perhaps it should have hostname.qfe0 and hostname.qfe1 in
    place of the hme versions? Remember that I'm using the qfe on an
    OpenBSD system, which calls them *all* "hme?".

    I tried to spot the spare qfe card which I have somewhere to
    stuff it into the spare Sun Blade 1000 which I am currently
    experimenting with to see what it shows up as.

    >>> Yes. A "man qfe" shows a man page with "qfe - SUNW,qfe Quad
    >>> Fast-Ethernet device driver" under NAME.

    >> Read through it, and see if it mentions anything special needed.
    >>Perhaps it is something which should be in /opt/SUNWqfe which is only
    >>installed if the card is detected during installation, just like the
    >>/opt/SUNWleo for a particular framebuffer in the SPARCstation 5 which I
    >>am still running.

    > Reading through it...
    >
    > I see:
    >
    ><<>>
    > The qfe driver is a "style 2" data link service provider. All M_PROTO and
    > M_PCPROTO type messages are interpreted as DLPI primitives. Valid DLPI
    > primitives are defined in <sys/dlpi.h>. Refer to dlpi(7P) for more
    > information. An explicit DL_ATTACH_REQ message by the user is required to
    > associate the opened stream with a particular device (ppa). The ppa ID is
    > interpreted as an unsigned long data type and indicates the corresponding
    > device instance (unit) number.
    >
    > Devices
    >
    > The driver returns an error (DL_ERROR_ACK) if the ppa field value does not
    > correspond to a valid device instance number for this system. The device
    > is initialized on first attach and de-initialized (stopped) at last
    > detach.
    ><<>>
    >
    > I can't say that I see anything like "this is needed". I excerpted
    > the above because the DL_ERROR_ACK are the errors I am getting.

    O.K.

    > It mentions the /dev/qfe "file", which I have.

    Good.

    [ ... ]

    > Do you still have the install CDs or DVDs?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > So, look on it/them for SUNWqfe? I'm checking, now...
    >
    > <sigh>
    >
    > At first, when I inserted the Solaris 8 Documentation CD, the drive
    > drawer stayed closed. But, I couldn't see anything that happened. I
    > checked "mount" and I couldn't see anything different.

    [ ... lots of problems with CD-ROM drive (or is it really the
    SCSI DVD-ROM which is in some Ultra-60 machines? ]

    Anyway -- is vold running? Try:

    ps -ae | grep 'vold'

    If so, it is trying to mount the CD-ROM where it thinks it
    belongs (and you need to have the proper mount point present). To turn
    to off, try:

    sh /etc/init.d/volmgt stop

    and once that is done, edit the /etc/vfstab file to add the line:

    /dev/sr0 /dev/rsr0 /cdrom hsfs - no ro

    to the file, then make sure to create the directory /cdrom.

    Then (as long as "vold" is not running you can mount the CD
    using "mount /cdrom" and get rid of it using "umount /cdrom".

    > Is there any way I can get the SUNWqfe that I guess may have been put
    > in the /opt directory if I had had the QFE card installed when I last
    > installed Solaris, other than on the CD?

    Well ... not sure whether it should be there or not.

    > The ONLY THING I need at this point is something else to delay me
    > if I have to replace the CD drive!
    >
    > The light blinks, as normal, when the drawer is closed. But, it
    > opens again. (Perhaps the CD is not actually "spinning up?")
    >
    > Now, the drawer is even opening again even if I close it with NO CD
    > in the drive!
    >
    > Doing a find looking for qfe in file names, though, I see these:
    >
    ><<>>
    > /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWqfed
    > /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWqfedx
    > /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWqfedu
    ><<>>

    O.K. Solaris 10 has only /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWqfed and
    /var/sadm/pkg/SUNWqfedu. Not sure what the 'x' suffix version does. It
    is also not present in the Solaris 2.6 version on a SS-5.

    > Might that be them, just not in /opt?

    That probably says that they have already been installed.

    Look in: /kernel/drv/sparcv9/qfe

    if it is there, it is installed -- for the 64-bit mode of the CPUs only.
    In the Solaris 2.6, it is only:

    /kernel/drv/qfe

    BTW While testing these, have you had ethernet cables connecting
    two of the QFE ports to the hub or router which you have? If so
    do you see leds lit on both the hub and the QFE card?

    I wonder whether the QFE card is bad?

    >>> I got:
    >>>
    >>><<>>
    >>> lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
    >>> inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    >>><<>>

    >> So *nothing* is working other than the loopback pseudo-device.
    >>Are the entries in /etc/path_to_inst still edited to different numbers?

    > No. I put it back EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS before I edited anything!
    > What I have excerpted above is how they currently look.

    O.K. BTW -- before you change *any* file like this -- make a
    copy (e.g. /etc/path_to_inst.ORIG) to make it easier to restore. But I
    think that it is built fresh by a reconfigure boot.

    Hmm ... does your system have a man page for path_to_inst? In
    particular, does it say this?

    Note that it is generally not necessary for the system
    administrator to change this file, as the system will main-
    tain it.

    The system administrator can change the assignment of
    instance numbers by editing this file and doing a reconfi-
    guration reboot. However, any changes made in this file will
    be lost if add_drv(1M) or devfsadm(1M) is run before the
    system is rebooted.

    And does Solaris 8 even *have* devfsadm? I know that it is not
    in Solaris 2.6, and I thought that it originated in Solaris 9.

    This suggests that maybe you want to totally rename the
    path_to_inst file (perhaps to "PATH_TO_INST") and then do a shutdown and
    issue a "boot -r" from the OBP prompt, since the system probably can't
    see the "/reconfigure" file if you try that way to reboot. This should
    recreate the path-to-inst file, using only what it finds in the system
    at that time. And you can still use the other drive to recover with the
    renamed file if that becomes necessary.)

    >> Add the original ethernet card back into the system (leaving the
    >>QFE installed and finding another slot for the original card) and do
    >>the:
    >>
    >> touch /reconfigure
    >> reboot
    >>
    >>cycle and see what happens. In particular, look at the output from
    >>
    >> ifconfig -a
    >>
    >>to see whether the card is added back.

    > Okay. The QFE card is in PCI slot 2. (Nothing was in 1, 3 or 4.)
    >
    > I just put the original ethernet card I had in slot 4. (This was to
    > leave more room between the cards, for cleaning or whatever occasionally,
    > if by some wonderful chance they remain this way...)
    >
    > I did a "boot -r".
    >
    > An "ifconfig -a" shows:
    >
    ><<>>
    > lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
    > inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    > hme2: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
    > inet 192.168.2.2 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    > ether 8:0:20:8f:d3:67
    ><<>>

    Interesting -- it does not see hme0 (in the system board) or
    hme1 (which supposedly is in the QFE). Another reason to get the system
    to create a new path_to_inst file by doing a "boot -r" after the file
    has been renamed.

    But -- it *does* like that card -- in any slot.

    >> Hmm ... another thing to check -- *which* slot is the QFE in?
    >>according to the FEH the topmost PCI slot is a 3.3V 33/66 MHz slot,
    >>while the other three are 5.0V 33 MHz and the QFE cards are 3.3/5V 33
    >>MHz so I *think* that it should work in any slot, but try it in a
    >>different slot anyway. Especially if it is in the topmost slot.

    > It was and still is in PCI slot 2. It is not in the topmost slot.

    O.K. Just for the fun of it -- move the QFE card to the topmost
    slot and repeat your reconfigure boot -- then your "ifconfig -a" to see
    whether it sees the ports again.

    > I'll wait on this and see whether you still want me to try this, in
    > light of what I've included in this article.
    >
    >> Is your original card one of 501-4359, 501-5019, or 540-3981? If
    >>so, it should work in the same slots -- but who knows. Hmm ... is the
    >>card's connector fully seated along the length of the system board's
    >>connector?

    > I don't know. Can I tell by looking at the card?

    Yes -- usually a white or orange colored barcode label starting
    with the five digits of one of those, without the '-'. The number will
    be longer, with the rest of it making up the card's serial number.

    On one of my Creator-3D cards, the barcode label is along the
    back edge on the component (down) side of the card.

    Again -- the number probably does not matter, because it works.
    But you probably want to look on eBay for a match for the one you have,
    so your search should be for the number both with and without the '-'.

    > (Hmmm... looking
    > at the "top" of the circuit board, I see a number 3697 on a little white
    > sticker. That's the only thing I see, on the side I can see, other than
    > "Sun, Assembled in USA" on another little white sticker.)

    Nope -- too short. And the barcode label will probably be on
    the bottom (component) side of the board.

    > Let me guess, there is something on the other side that indicates it?
    > (Now that I have in the computer!) :-D (I should have "read ahead"
    > before I put it in the computer, on the bottom PCI slot!) :-D

    :)

    > And, yes, it is fully seated. I did verify this when I put it in the
    > system, before I booted the first time afterward. And, it's nice. If it
    > IS fully seated, that screw on the end is just for a little "hold", but it
    > is already fully against the metal frame where the screw goes in -- if it
    > is "in" fully in the motherboard slot.
    >
    >> Or -- could the PCI bus have been damaged by the lighting?
    >>Consider getting a replacement system board as the safer (and surer) way
    >>to go.

    > I don't *think* so. At least, when I got home on Tuesday, July 22
    > (it will be ONE MONTH tomorrow!),

    That hurts.

    > the Linux was still connected to the
    > Sun's port via the card I just placed back in. And, mutt was working.
    > And, I had 27 new emails, which I read, deleted, switched folders, etc.
    >
    > At least, the PCI slot that contained this card (which was in PCI
    > slot 2, where the QFE is now) still appeared to be working.

    O.K. But maybe the QFE will work better in the top slot (slot
    1). It is worth a try.

    > I'll put what you had at this point in a "Non-Sun-Stuff" email. :)

    Good. It does not belong here.

    > However, I'm going to go out, before it gets darker, even though it
    > is currently raining hard, and remove the hurricane shutters. Fay is
    > FINALLY moving again! And, none of the computer models show her getting
    > too close to where I live. And, now that she is finally heading westward
    > over Florida, she surely is not likely to strengthen. So, it may be up to
    > 60-mph winds, but that's okay, and just continued lots of rain.
    >
    > My mother HATES the hurricane shutters up, because they block her
    > ability to see out! :-D

    Well -- she wants to *use* her fixed eye.

    > I am not confident that we're not going to need
    > them, so I'm going out to take them down.

    That does not sound right. Didn't you mean to say that you
    *were* confident that you would not need them?

    > Tomorrow morning, I take my mother to the Filutowski Cataract and
    > Laser Institute. They'll check her eye (just over one week since the
    > surgery) and confirm for us that Wednesday of next week, she'll have her
    > right eye done. (This was not "in stone" until they saw her again, this
    > week.)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Aug 22, 2008

  3. Barry L. Bond

    Barry Guest

    Re: New PCI QFE 501-5406 card in Ultra 30, for Don and others! :)

    Hi DoN!

    > O.K. That is likely to be one of the Creator series or perhaps
    >an Elite-3D. Does it have a small DIN connector down close to the tab
    >of the card bracket? (Not that this is important for what we are
    >dealing with.)

    Yes, a circular jack next to the adapter connector.

    > So -- perhaps it should have hostname.qfe0 and hostname.qfe1 in
    >place of the hme versions? Remember that I'm using the qfe on an
    >OpenBSD system, which calls them *all* "hme?".

    DoN! :-O

    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

    That was it!!!

    I now have a hostname.qfe0 and hostname.qfe1. My D-Link router
    is on
    the qfe0 and the Linux computer is on the qfe1.

    It is after 2:00 AM Saturday morning, and I am so tired I can't
    see
    straight! I have to get to bed...

    But, the Linux sendmail sends to the Sun sendmail, and the Sun
    sendmail is getting the Linux AND the Internet mail, and putting it in
    my
    "mutt" mailbox! :-D

    The reason I have to still manually intervene to send this is the
    Sun
    is not playing the role of a router, even though both network ports
    are in
    use.

    On either system, I can ping the Linux network port and both of
    the
    Sun network ports (currently in use, qfe0 and qfe1). But, I can't
    ping
    the D-Link router or any Internet address. Even on the Sun, I can't
    ping
    Internet addresses, even though the fetchmail on the Sun is
    communicating
    and has transferred all of my email to the Sun's hard drive. And,
    every
    five minutes, if there's another email, it's here again!

    I can't use Netscape on the Sun or Firefox or any Internet
    connections on the Linux system.

    I have defaults/gateways set up on both systems...

    Here's the Linux:

    <<>>
    [root@barrycon ~]# ifconfig eth0
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:F4:6F:D8:01
    inet addr:192.168.2.1 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:
    255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::240:f4ff:fe6f:d801/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:507185982 (483.6 MiB) TX bytes:16459497 (15.6 MiB)
    Interrupt:3 Base address:0x6000

    [root@barrycon ~]# netstat -r
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window
    irtt Iface
    192.168.224.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
    0 vmnet8
    192.168.2.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
    0 eth0
    172.16.40.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
    0 vmnet1
    169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0
    0 eth0
    default canaan-2 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
    0 eth0
    <<>>

    And here's the Sun:

    <<>>
    bash-2.03# ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index
    1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    qfe0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500
    index 2
    inet 192.168.0.201 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    ether 8:0:20:8f:d3:67
    qfe1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500
    index 3
    inet 192.168.2.2 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    ether 8:0:20:8f:d3:67
    bash-2.03# netstat -nr

    Routing Table: IPv4
    Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
    -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
    192.168.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 1 qfe0
    192.168.2.0 192.168.2.2 U 1 1 qfe1
    224.0.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 0 qfe0
    default 192.168.0.1 UG 1 8
    127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 3 2929 lo0
    <<>>

    (And, it's not typed, this time! I rlogin'd to the Sun, and cut
    and
    pasted it into my vi!) :) :) :)

    At this moment, my USB backup to the SimpleTech drive (and this
    one
    is the one that is working, the Tuesday morning Western Digital is
    what
    isn't working) is running. And, I'm getting email! I am getting
    email
    from the Linux system, and I'm getting email from the Internet, so
    fetchmail on the Sun is back and doing wonderful for me!!!

    But, I can't send email or connect to Usenet yet from the Linux
    system. I will temporary change the Linux networking to DHCP and
    connect
    it to the D-Link router to send this to you, and then put it back!

    I will hopefully have a chance, tomorrow (Saturday) -- though I
    have
    a very busy day -- to figure out what I'm missing. But, I sure do
    like
    getting my Linux email again!

    Before, there was one file, it may have been gateways, that I had
    have in place, or else something (similar to this, if I recall) didn't
    work right. And, it was DIFFERENT than what I would have thought
    should
    have been used, by reading the Solaris System Admin Manual 3,
    regarding
    networking.

    But, I've experimented with gateways and defaultrouter and this
    isn't working, yet.

    But, I will go to bed incredibly happy that I am SO MUCH CLOSER
    than
    I've been since the lightning strike! :-D

    > [ ... lots of problems with CD-ROM drive (or is it really the
    > SCSI DVD-ROM which is in some Ultra-60 machines? ]

    I'm not sure. The drawer says "compact disc" on it. However,
    last
    night, when I tried to boot from the cdrom, I am 95% sure it had
    "scsi" in
    what output on the monitor!

    > Anyway -- is vold running? Try:
    >
    > ps -ae | grep 'vold'
    >
    > If so, it is trying to mount the CD-ROM where it thinks it
    >belongs (and you need to have the proper mount point present). To turn
    >to off, try:
    >
    > sh /etc/init.d/volmgt stop
    >
    >and once that is done, edit the /etc/vfstab file to add the line:

    >/dev/sr0 /dev/rsr0 /cdrom hsfs - no ro
    >
    >to the file, then make sure to create the directory /cdrom.
    >
    > Then (as long as "vold" is not running you can mount the CD
    >using "mount /cdrom" and get rid of it using "umount /cdrom".

    vold does NOT seem to be running.

    At the moment, the drawer comes back out whether I have a CD in
    it or
    not. And, even if I put a CD in it, and pay attention to exactly the
    "orientation" of the label and text on the CD, the drawer goes in, and
    there is a delay of a few seconds, and the drawer opens again. The
    orientation is EXACTLY the same. (And, I've tried this several times,
    now.)

    It *may* be whatever the "nub" that spins should be called is not
    "spinning up", and that could be why it is ejecting/opening the
    drawer...
    again, whether there is a CD or not!

    But, I am just ignoring this for the moment! I am finally
    getting
    closer again! :-D

    Type to you some time! :)

    Barry
    Barry, Aug 23, 2008
  4. Barry L. Bond

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-08-23, Barry <> wrote:
    > Hi DoN!
    >
    >> O.K. That is likely to be one of the Creator series or perhaps
    >>an Elite-3D. Does it have a small DIN connector down close to the tab
    >>of the card bracket? (Not that this is important for what we are
    >>dealing with.)

    > Yes, a circular jack next to the adapter connector.

    So -- probably a Creator-3D. That one can be used in a Sun
    Blade 1000 or 2000 -- I've got one in my SB-2000 at present.

    >> So -- perhaps it should have hostname.qfe0 and hostname.qfe1 in
    >>place of the hme versions? Remember that I'm using the qfe on an
    >>OpenBSD system, which calls them *all* "hme?".

    > DoN! :-O
    >
    > THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    > THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    > THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    >
    > That was it!!!
    >
    > I now have a hostname.qfe0 and hostname.qfe1. My D-Link router
    > is on
    > the qfe0 and the Linux computer is on the qfe1.

    Great! The qfe entries did not show up on the "ifconfig -a"
    before, and do now?

    > It is after 2:00 AM Saturday morning, and I am so tired I can't
    > see
    > straight! I have to get to bed...

    :)

    > But, the Linux sendmail sends to the Sun sendmail, and the Sun
    > sendmail is getting the Linux AND the Internet mail, and putting it in
    > my
    > "mutt" mailbox! :-D
    >
    > The reason I have to still manually intervene to send this is the
    > Sun
    > is not playing the role of a router, even though both network ports
    > are in
    > use.

    Read through /etc/init.d/inetinit -- especially near the end.
    Solaris 2.6 has (in part):

    #
    # Determine how many active interfaces there are and how many pt-pt
    # interfaces. Act as a router if there are more than 2 interfaces
    # (including the loopback interface) or one or more point-point
    # interface. Also act as a router if /etc/gateways exists.
    #
    # Do NOT act as a router if /etc/notrouter exists.
    # Do NOT act as a router if DHCP was used to configure interface(s)
    #

    numifs=`ifconfig -au | grep inet | wc -l`
    numptptifs=`ifconfig -au | grep inet | egrep -e '-->' | wc -l`
    numdhcp=`ifconfig -a | grep DHCP | wc -l`
    if [ ! -f /etc/notrouter -a $numdhcp -eq 0 -a \
    \( $numifs -gt 2 -o $numptptifs -gt 0 -o -f /etc/gateways \) ]
    then
    # Machine is a router: turn on ip_forwarding, run routed,
    # and advertise ourselves as a router using router discovery.

    That file is not present at all on Solaris 10, which has a very
    different way to do things. I don't know what Solaris 8 does, but I
    suspect that it is closer to what Solaris 2.6 does.

    > On either system, I can ping the Linux network port and both of
    > the
    > Sun network ports (currently in use, qfe0 and qfe1). But, I can't
    > ping
    > the D-Link router or any Internet address. Even on the Sun, I can't
    > ping
    > Internet addresses, even though the fetchmail on the Sun is
    > communicating
    > and has transferred all of my email to the Sun's hard drive. And,
    > every
    > five minutes, if there's another email, it's here again!
    >
    > I can't use Netscape on the Sun or Firefox or any Internet
    > connections on the Linux system.
    >
    > I have defaults/gateways set up on both systems...

    [ ... ]

    > And here's the Sun:
    >
    ><<>>
    > bash-2.03# ifconfig -a
    > lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
    > inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    > qfe0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
    > inet 192.168.0.201 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    > ether 8:0:20:8f:d3:67
    > qfe1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
    > inet 192.168.2.2 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    > ether 8:0:20:8f:d3:67
    > bash-2.03# netstat -nr

    O.K. It only sees the qfe entries which are referenced in the
    /etc/hostsname.qfe? files.

    > Routing Table: IPv4
    > Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
    > -------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
    > 192.168.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 1 qfe0
    > 192.168.2.0 192.168.2.2 U 1 1 qfe1
    > 224.0.0.0 192.168.0.201 U 1 0 qfe0
    > default 192.168.0.1 UG 1 8
    > 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 3 2929 lo0
    ><<>>

    Default is the router box -- reasonable.

    Do you have an /etc/resolv.conf file? Where is it set to look
    for DNS information?

    > (And, it's not typed, this time! I rlogin'd to the Sun, and cut
    > and
    > pasted it into my vi!) :) :) :)

    :)

    > At this moment, my USB backup to the SimpleTech drive (and this
    > one
    > is the one that is working, the Tuesday morning Western Digital is
    > what
    > isn't working) is running. And, I'm getting email! I am getting
    > email
    > from the Linux system, and I'm getting email from the Internet, so
    > fetchmail on the Sun is back and doing wonderful for me!!!

    :)

    Still plan to get a new system board -- or better move up to an
    Ultra-60 and Solaris 10. (Even better is a Sun Blade 1000 or 2000 and
    Solaris 10.

    > But, I can't send email or connect to Usenet yet from the Linux
    > system. I will temporary change the Linux networking to DHCP and
    > connect
    > it to the D-Link router to send this to you, and then put it back!
    >
    > I will hopefully have a chance, tomorrow (Saturday) -- though I
    > have
    > a very busy day -- to figure out what I'm missing.

    Good luck.

    You might try traceroute looking both for a system by name and a
    system by raw IP address to see where it gets lost. If you want a known
    pairing, try this:

    ftp.uu.net 192.48.96.9

    but don't use it too much -- I'm sure that it will annoy them. Just a
    quick check to see whether an attempt to get out will work.

    Have you re-enabled all the things which you disabled to keep
    the console clear of error messages? Maybe your problem is one of those
    is still turned off.

    > But, I sure do
    > like
    > getting my Linux email again!

    :)

    > Before, there was one file, it may have been gateways, that I had
    > have in place, or else something (similar to this, if I recall) didn't
    > work right. And, it was DIFFERENT than what I would have thought
    > should
    > have been used, by reading the Solaris System Admin Manual 3,
    > regarding
    > networking.

    O.K. I find that /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/defaultrouter are the
    ones which I need.

    > But, I've experimented with gateways and defaultrouter and this
    > isn't working, yet.

    Do you have the hme0 and hme1 names in any of those files? You
    might try this to find where they are lurking:

    find /etc -type f -print | xargs grep 'hme'

    so if you still have things pointing to the hme ports which need to be
    changed, that could keep things from working.

    [ ... ]

    >> [ ... lots of problems with CD-ROM drive (or is it really the
    >> SCSI DVD-ROM which is in some Ultra-60 machines? ]

    > I'm not sure. The drawer says "compact disc" on it. However,
    > last
    > night, when I tried to boot from the cdrom, I am 95% sure it had
    > "scsi" in
    > what output on the monitor!

    O.K. If it said "Compact Disc" on the drawer, and does not say
    "DVD" somewhere it is just a CD reader, not a DVD reader. But of course
    it will be a SCSI one, not an IDE one, which you would only find on the
    Ultra-5, Ultra-10, and Sun Blade 100 (*not* 1000). They also have IDE
    disks in them instead of SCSI.

    The ones which I have from Ultra-2, Ultra-60, and Sun Blade
    1000/2000 say "Compact Disc" on the left hand end of the drawer, and
    "DVD rom" in the center. Dark gray. Toshiba M1401.

    >> Anyway -- is vold running? Try:

    [ ... ]

    > vold does NOT seem to be running.

    O.K.

    > At the moment, the drawer comes back out whether I have a CD in
    > it or
    > not. And, even if I put a CD in it, and pay attention to exactly the
    > "orientation" of the label and text on the CD, the drawer goes in, and
    > there is a delay of a few seconds, and the drawer opens again. The
    > orientation is EXACTLY the same. (And, I've tried this several times,
    > now.)

    Perhaps time to replace the drive -- go for the Toshiba M1401
    from above and you can read DVDs as well.

    > It *may* be whatever the "nub" that spins should be called is not
    > "spinning up", and that could be why it is ejecting/opening the
    > drawer...
    > again, whether there is a CD or not!

    Perhaps. I wonder whether your drive has a belt which has died
    of old age?

    > But, I am just ignoring this for the moment! I am finally
    > getting
    > closer again! :-D

    Great.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Aug 23, 2008
  5. Re: New PCI QFE 501-5406 card in Ultra 30, for Don and others! :)

    Hi DoN!

    I'm going to bed! I am SERIOUSLY exhausted. I am not thinking
    clearly. I am making many mistakes. Every movement is a strain.

    (This afternoon, we put our screened-in porch back together, to
    normal. I had to remove the rack on which the hurricane shutters go for
    the sliding glass door. And, we still had chairs and potted plants and
    things to get out of the garage and put in place. And, of course, every
    time you're doing something, other things pop up! :) In the process of
    moving a plumeria tree my mother has in a big plastic pot, but on a dolly
    that rolls very easily, the top of the pot broke! And, yesterday, the
    plumeria had fallen over on the concrete. And, we saw that the pot, which
    started to crack at the top when I pushed it by that last Monday when I
    was putting the hurricane stuff up, cracked more, and cracked enough to
    let dirt out, and the tree became top heavy and turned over! So, today,
    we purchased a new pot at Home Depot, and had that to do...)

    But, I just have to reply... :)

    > Great! The qfe entries did not show up on the "ifconfig -a"
    >before, and do now?

    Evidently! I am not sure. But, the qfe ports were evidently
    "usable" when they where not reported by ifconfig -a. But, once I had the
    hostname.qfe0 and qfe1 files, they show up!

    > Do you have an /etc/resolv.conf file? Where is it set to look
    >for DNS information?

    Well, on this I have to say <DUHH!> :-(

    I was okay on the Sun system. But, it was NOT what I wanted on the
    Linux system. I had changed numerous files when I had to change the Linux
    from my own static IP to DHCP talking to the D-Link router, and I had
    changed the others back, but I forgot all about resolv.conf! :-( <sigh>

    That didn't fix it, though...

    > Have you re-enabled all the things which you disabled to keep
    >the console clear of error messages? Maybe your problem is one of those
    >is still turned off.

    I didn't really do many of the things you said to keep the console
    clear or error messages, but I kept track of them, to be able to do them
    when I needed to. I had been powering off the Sun overnight and leaving
    it off unless I was working with it. So, I hadn't done much.

    (That perhaps is shown by I still had the original [lowercase h]
    hostname.hme? files, etc.)

    > Do you have the hme0 and hme1 names in any of those files? You
    >might try this to find where they are lurking:

    THIS was what I still needed to do!!!

    DoN, I'm FULLY working again! I can view web pages on the Linux,
    using Firefox. I am posting this USENET using trn on the Linux computer.
    But, this time, the Linux is not attached directly to the D-Link router,
    but to a network port of the Sun, and the Sun is routing! :-D

    I had a file (/etc/opt/ipf/ipnet.conf) that had three "map" lines,
    with hme0 as their first argument! I changed those to qfe, and everything
    is working! It's part of my IP Filter, that was not a part of the Solaris
    I installed, but I retrieved it, for Solaris, and added it.

    I'm going to bed, but I'm leaving the Linux system AND the Sun system
    powered on. And, though I'll give things a more thorough testing tomorrow
    afternoon, it appears that everything, network-wise, is working!!! :)

    I will, soon, reply to other things that we've discussed here, for
    Sun stuff, or in email.

    I have only one other HIGH PRIORITY item (at least, that I know about
    at this moment), and that is getting the serial hub working!

    This will be entirely new! I'll want to attach it to qfe2. And,
    setting up the IP stuff and everything on this has not been done before.
    (After I get that set up, I'll be able to see whether the 14 serial
    devices I had around the house made it through the lightning strike.)

    If I need general network help (as opposed to help specific to the
    ESP 16 MI serial hub, which a Dan Reisig at Avocent will be glad to help
    me with), where do you suggest I post for that? It will be connected to a
    Sun QFE card. It will -- at first -- be USED from Linux. (Though I will
    be getting the driver for Solaris, so that Solaris could use them, as
    well. And, some things, such as the terminals, would be fine for use from
    Solaris, since they don't require files or programs available only on the
    Linux system. But, some of the things must be used from Linux, and using
    it from the Linux will be the first thing I accomplish.)

    DoN, I want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help! Two specific
    things you mentioned in your last reply had me find two (and hopefully,
    the LAST TWO) things that hadn't been updated yet (the resolv.conf on the
    Linux and the "map hme" in the ipnat.conf file)!

    Barry
    Barry L. Bond, Aug 24, 2008
  6. Barry L. Bond

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-08-24, Barry L. Bond <> wrote:

    > Hi DoN!
    >
    > I'm going to bed! I am SERIOUSLY exhausted. I am not thinking
    > clearly. I am making many mistakes. Every movement is a strain.

    I've been there.

    [ ... crackpot snipped ... ]

    > But, I just have to reply... :)
    >
    >> Great! The qfe entries did not show up on the "ifconfig -a"
    >>before, and do now?

    > Evidently! I am not sure. But, the qfe ports were evidently
    > "usable" when they where not reported by ifconfig -a. But, once I had the
    > hostname.qfe0 and qfe1 files, they show up!

    O.K. Time to create new entries for the other two ports, and
    reboot to get them recognized.

    First -- create entries for the new ports in /etc/hosts, giving
    names and IP addresses (and ideally creating them in different
    non-routable IP blocks so you are free of routing confusion. The
    non-routable blocks are:

    192.168.0.0/16 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
    172.16.0.0/12 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
    10.0.0.0/8 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

    and unless you either put each port on a different one of these subnets,
    or make entries in /etc/networks to give names to subnets with netmask
    information included, or set explicit route commands with netmask
    information which are run from an extra /etc/init.d/whatever file, you
    will have problems with it trying to go to the wrong subnet to reach
    something.

    Anyway -- once you have the ports given names in /etc/hosts, you
    then reference these names in the /etc/hostname.qfe2 and
    /etc/hostname.qfe3 and reboot to start the ports and add them to the
    routing tables. Then, you can add names for the things on the subnets.
    I would guess that the ethernet to serial port box will have a range of
    IPs corresponding to the different serial ports, so you will want to give
    a name to each of these so you can refer to them by name.

    >> Do you have an /etc/resolv.conf file? Where is it set to look
    >>for DNS information?

    > Well, on this I have to say <DUHH!> :-(
    >
    > I was okay on the Sun system. But, it was NOT what I wanted on the
    > Linux system. I had changed numerous files when I had to change the Linux
    > from my own static IP to DHCP talking to the D-Link router, and I had
    > changed the others back, but I forgot all about resolv.conf! :-( <sigh>
    >
    > That didn't fix it, though...

    Sigh!

    [ ... ]

    >> Do you have the hme0 and hme1 names in any of those files? You
    >>might try this to find where they are lurking:

    > THIS was what I still needed to do!!!

    Glad that it found things for you.

    > DoN, I'm FULLY working again! I can view web pages on the Linux,
    > using Firefox. I am posting this USENET using trn on the Linux computer.
    > But, this time, the Linux is not attached directly to the D-Link router,
    > but to a network port of the Sun, and the Sun is routing! :-D

    O.K. I wonder whether it will matter which order the systems
    are booted in -- to find the routing information unless you add static
    routes from a file in /etc/init.d, say /etc/init.d/routeadd or something
    similar -- then add the links to S and K names to start them as you go
    into multi-user mode, and to shut them down when you go back to
    single-user mode.

    > I had a file (/etc/opt/ipf/ipnet.conf) that had three "map" lines,
    > with hme0 as their first argument! I changed those to qfe, and everything
    > is working! It's part of my IP Filter, that was not a part of the Solaris
    > I installed, but I retrieved it, for Solaris, and added it.

    You might be interested to know that IPfilter comes in Solaris
    10 -- another reason to go to that and a newer system eventually.

    > I'm going to bed, but I'm leaving the Linux system AND the Sun system
    > powered on. And, though I'll give things a more thorough testing tomorrow
    > afternoon, it appears that everything, network-wise, is working!!! :)

    Great news.

    > I will, soon, reply to other things that we've discussed here, for
    > Sun stuff, or in email.

    O.K. Get as much sleep as you can, first.

    > I have only one other HIGH PRIORITY item (at least, that I know about
    > at this moment), and that is getting the serial hub working!

    New hostname.qfe2 and a new IP to name mapping in /etc/hosts for
    it -- perhaps a lot of them -- one for the box, and one for each serial
    prot -- just guessing as to how it is implemented, of course.

    BTW It is interesting that the device names need to be qfe? for
    Solaris, while OpenBSD just gives them more hme? names.

    > This will be entirely new! I'll want to attach it to qfe2. And,
    > setting up the IP stuff and everything on this has not been done before.
    > (After I get that set up, I'll be able to see whether the 14 serial
    > devices I had around the house made it through the lightning strike.)

    Good luck there.

    > If I need general network help (as opposed to help specific to the
    > ESP 16 MI serial hub, which a Dan Reisig at Avocent will be glad to help
    > me with), where do you suggest I post for that?

    I'm not sure. This is where *I* would post it, but I haven't
    entered as much off-topic information in my postings, so I won't be
    ignored by as many people. I suspect that this thread is ignored by
    most of the newsgoup's population by now. :)

    > It will be connected to a
    > Sun QFE card. It will -- at first -- be USED from Linux. (Though I will
    > be getting the driver for Solaris, so that Solaris could use them, as
    > well.

    Oh -- so it needs a special driver. Maybe my guess about it
    using a separate IP address per port was wrong.

    > And, some things, such as the terminals, would be fine for use from
    > Solaris, since they don't require files or programs available only on the
    > Linux system. But, some of the things must be used from Linux, and using
    > it from the Linux will be the first thing I accomplish.)

    O.K. Probably you'll need to add a special routing through the
    Sun for the IP range assigned to the serial port box.

    > DoN, I want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help! Two specific
    > things you mentioned in your last reply had me find two (and hopefully,
    > the LAST TWO) things that hadn't been updated yet (the resolv.conf on the
    > Linux and the "map hme" in the ipnat.conf file)!

    O.K. Good luck -- and happy sleeping,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Aug 24, 2008
  7. Re: New PCI QFE 501-5406 card in Ultra 30, for Don and others! :)

    Hi DoN!

    100% of what I've thought to test, using the Linux, appears to be
    working great!

    (Running "snoop" on the Sun shows a couple of things I'm not positive
    about. Over time, I'll look into them. I had the cable modem connected
    directly to the Internet card two different times, in calls to Bright
    House for tech support the first week. I think one time was probably the
    hme0, which isn't working at all, so I wouldn't think I could be cracked
    with that one. Frankly, one month ago, I'm not sure... I may have had the
    Linux system directly connected the second time... but it wasn't more than
    a couple of minutes. I told them I wasn't going to leave it directly
    connected, without the router which is also my firewall, in the loop,
    because I will NOT leave my system connected to the Internet without a
    firewall. [But, with the router also potentially not working, I
    understood their desire to remove the router from the loop...] I don't
    know that I was cracked. But, I will want to figure out the couple of
    things I don't remember seeing before, and see what's up. I am running a
    different router, which I may still need to customize a couple things that
    I had customized the way I wanted it with the D-Link DI604. I have a
    D-Link EBR-2310 now. I'll let you know, if you're interested, when I
    investigate this, what I determine.)

    > O.K. Time to create new entries for the other two ports, and
    >reboot to get them recognized.

    > First -- create entries for the new ports in /etc/hosts, giving
    >names and IP addresses (and ideally creating them in different
    >non-routable IP blocks so you are free of routing confusion. The
    >non-routable blocks are:

    >192.168.0.0/16 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
    >172.16.0.0/12 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
    >10.0.0.0/8 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
    >
    >and unless you either put each port on a different one of these subnets,
    >or make entries in /etc/networks to give names to subnets with netmask
    >information included, or set explicit route commands with netmask
    >information which are run from an extra /etc/init.d/whatever file, you
    >will have problems with it trying to go to the wrong subnet to reach
    >something.

    Okay. Here is my current "hosts" file:

    <<>>
    #
    # Internet host table
    #
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.0.1 ebr2310 brdguard firewall
    192.168.0.201 canaan canaan.cfl.rr.com loghost # Local hostname
    192.168.2.1 barrycon barrycon.cfl.rr.com # Linux system
    192.168.2.2 canaan-2 canaan-2.cfl.rr.com # Interface to network 192.168.2
    192.168.3.1 esp esp-16-mi esp-16-mi-serial-hub
    192.168.4.1 spare
    <<>>

    With these being non-routable IP blocks, so far as I know, it is safe
    to show you the exact contents/IP address in this file.

    Originally, I had what used to be hme0 as 192.168.1, and the hme1 as
    192.168.2. That was when I had a SOHOware BroadGuard as my
    router/firewall in the loop. Then, I wound up purchasing the D-Link DI604
    router, and it had an address of 192.168.0 instead of 192.168.1, so I
    changed the addresses accordingly.

    So, for now, I am placing the 192.168.3 as the ESP-16 serial hub, and
    192.168.4 as the "spare".

    Here is my networks file:

    <<>>
    #ident "@(#)networks 1.4 92/07/14 SMI" /* SVr4.0 1.1 */
    #
    # The networks file associates Internet Protocol (IP) network numbers
    # with network names. The format of this file is:
    #
    # network-name network-number nicnames . . .
    #

    #
    # The loopback network is used only for intra-machine communication
    #
    loopback 127

    #
    # Internet networks
    #
    arpanet 10 arpa # Historical
    local 192.168.2 # Local network
    <<>>

    > Anyway -- once you have the ports given names in /etc/hosts, you
    >then reference these names in the /etc/hostname.qfe2 and
    >/etc/hostname.qfe3 and reboot to start the ports and add them to the
    >routing tables. Then, you can add names for the things on the subnets.
    >I would guess that the Ethernet to serial port box will have a range of
    >IPs corresponding to the different serial ports, so you will want to give
    >a name to each of these so you can refer to them by name.

    I made these files, with "esp-16-mi" in the qfe2 and "spare" in the
    qfe3 files.

    Rebooting...

    Yes, they all show in ifconfig now:

    <<>>
    bash-2.03$ ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    qfe0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
    inet 192.168.0.201 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    qfe1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
    inet 192.168.2.2 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    qfe2: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 4
    inet 192.168.3.1 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.3.255
    qfe3: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 5
    inet 192.168.4.1 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.4.255
    <<>>

    > O.K. I wonder whether it will matter which order the systems
    >are booted in -- to find the routing information unless you add static
    >routes from a file in /etc/init.d, say /etc/init.d/routeadd or something
    >similar -- then add the links to S and K names to start them as you go
    >into multi-user mode, and to shut them down when you go back to
    >single-user mode.

    I didn't *think* so... in the past, I haven't ever even had in mind
    any kind of a "connection" of the Sun had to be booted for the Linux or
    vice versa except for the mail file (which the Linux "mutt" accesses),
    on the Sun hard drive via an NFS mount, or to have Internet access,
    knowing that the Sun was the router.

    > You might be interested to know that IPfilter comes in Solaris
    >10 -- another reason to go to that and a newer system eventually.

    :)

    Eventually.... right now, I am spending enough, unless I have to!
    :-O

    >> I have only one other HIGH PRIORITY item (at least, that I know about
    >> at this moment), and that is getting the serial hub working!

    > New hostname.qfe2 and a new IP to name mapping in /etc/hosts for
    >it -- perhaps a lot of them -- one for the box, and one for each serial
    >prot -- just guessing as to how it is implemented, of course.

    Okay. qfe2 does show up, now.

    The manual for the ESP-16 serial hub says "If the hub still has a
    default IP address (because it has not yet been configured or the hub has
    been reinitialized), you may enter the URL http://192.1.1.1 to access the
    hub (or https:/192.1.1.1 for a secure connection to an ESP-16 MI hub)."

    That is not a 192.168.*.* address. I'm thinking it will probably be
    wise to change it to something else, when I can "talk to it", do you
    agree?

    The address that I have right now, which is a different block (so far
    as I understand network terms) is 192.168.3.1.

    I don't mind changing it. And, I do not normally need to
    reinitialize other devices I've used if their initial information was
    changed. Though I haven't tried using it yet.

    I think I definitely want an address that starts with 192.168, or
    would it not be broadcast on the Internet even if it were 192.1.1.1, since
    it is not on the D-Link router or going out the qfe0 that goes to the
    cable modem? (I don't have any addresses currently in the hosts file that
    starts with 192.1.1.)

    >> If I need general network help (as opposed to help specific to the
    >> ESP 16 MI serial hub, which a Dan Reisig at Avocent will be glad to help
    >> me with), where do you suggest I post for that?

    > I'm not sure. This is where *I* would post it, but I haven't
    >entered as much off-topic information in my postings, so I won't be
    >ignored by as many people. I suspect that this thread is ignored by
    >most of the newsgoup's population by now. :)

    :)

    Well, now I can send you an email for the non-Sun stuff! :)

    >> It will be connected to a
    >> Sun QFE card. It will -- at first -- be USED from Linux. (Though I will
    >> be getting the driver for Solaris, so that Solaris could use them, as
    >> well.

    > Oh -- so it needs a special driver. Maybe my guess about it
    >using a separate IP address per port was wrong.

    Okay. As soon as I can "talk to it" and see how they're configured,
    I'm sure I'll be able to figure this out.

    >> And, some things, such as the terminals, would be fine for use from
    >> Solaris, since they don't require files or programs available only on the
    >> Linux system. But, some of the things must be used from Linux, and using
    >> it from the Linux will be the first thing I accomplish.)

    > O.K. Probably you'll need to add a special routing through the
    >Sun for the IP range assigned to the serial port box.

    I believe I understand. I'll keep it in mind, as I learn how to use
    this serial hub!

    Barry
    Barry L. Bond, Aug 24, 2008
  8. Barry L. Bond

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-08-24, Barry L. Bond <> wrote:

    > Hi DoN!
    >
    > 100% of what I've thought to test, using the Linux, appears to be
    > working great!

    Great!

    > (Running "snoop" on the Sun shows a couple of things I'm not positive
    > about. Over time, I'll look into them.

    [ ... ]

    > firewall. [But, with the router also potentially not working, I
    > understood their desire to remove the router from the loop...] I don't
    > know that I was cracked. But, I will want to figure out the couple of
    > things I don't remember seeing before, and see what's up. I am running a
    > different router, which I may still need to customize a couple things that
    > I had customized the way I wanted it with the D-Link DI604. I have a
    > D-Link EBR-2310 now. I'll let you know, if you're interested, when I
    > investigate this, what I determine.)

    O.K. Until I know what kind of things you are seeing, I've got
    no idea what may be a problem. And i don't use linux (after having one
    cracked some years ago (pre firewall) and finding it trying to attack
    other systems before I shut it down.

    >> O.K. Time to create new entries for the other two ports, and
    >>reboot to get them recognized.

    >> First -- create entries for the new ports in /etc/hosts, giving
    >>names and IP addresses (and ideally creating them in different
    >>non-routable IP blocks so you are free of routing confusion. The
    >>non-routable blocks are:

    >>192.168.0.0/16 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
    >>172.16.0.0/12 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
    >>10.0.0.0/8 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

    [ ... ]

    > Okay. Here is my current "hosts" file:
    >
    > #
    > # Internet host table
    > #
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost
    > 192.168.0.1 ebr2310 brdguard firewall
    > 192.168.0.201 canaan canaan.cfl.rr.com loghost # Local hostname
    > 192.168.2.1 barrycon barrycon.cfl.rr.com # Linux system
    > 192.168.2.2 canaan-2 canaan-2.cfl.rr.com # Interface to network 192.168.2
    > 192.168.3.1 esp esp-16-mi esp-16-mi-serial-hub
    > 192.168.4.1 spare

    O.K. I would have put the esp on something else -- perhaps one
    of the 172.16.*.* addresses, just to keep it clear of the heavy traffic
    on the other nets. And you can probably put the single port hme card in
    the linux box so it lives on the same subnet as the esp box so you could
    talk to the esp box from either machine without having to route through
    the other box.

    ><<>>
    >
    > With these being non-routable IP blocks, so far as I know, it is safe
    > to show you the exact contents/IP address in this file.

    Unless someone has a foothold in your systems and can then use
    this for attacking the rest.

    > Originally, I had what used to be hme0 as 192.168.1, and the hme1 as
    > 192.168.2. That was when I had a SOHOware BroadGuard as my
    > router/firewall in the loop. Then, I wound up purchasing the D-Link DI604
    > router, and it had an address of 192.168.0 instead of 192.168.1, so I
    > changed the addresses accordingly.
    >
    > So, for now, I am placing the 192.168.3 as the ESP-16 serial hub, and
    > 192.168.4 as the "spare".
    >
    > Here is my networks file:
    >
    ><<>>
    > #ident "@(#)networks 1.4 92/07/14 SMI" /* SVr4.0 1.1 */

    [ ... ]

    > #
    > # The loopback network is used only for intra-machine communication
    > #
    > loopback 127
    >
    > #
    > # Internet networks
    > #
    > arpanet 10 arpa # Historical
    > local 192.168.2 # Local network

    I was thinking that you might need to have netmasks in there,
    but it appears (from your "ifconfig -a" output) that the proper netmasks
    are there to keep things down to a class-C block for each port.

    ><<>>
    >
    >> Anyway -- once you have the ports given names in /etc/hosts, you
    >>then reference these names in the /etc/hostname.qfe2 and
    >>/etc/hostname.qfe3 and reboot to start the ports and add them to the
    >>routing tables. Then, you can add names for the things on the subnets.
    >>I would guess that the Ethernet to serial port box will have a range of
    >>IPs corresponding to the different serial ports, so you will want to give
    >>a name to each of these so you can refer to them by name.

    > I made these files, with "esp-16-mi" in the qfe2 and "spare" in the
    > qfe3 files.
    >
    > Rebooting...
    >
    > Yes, they all show in ifconfig now:
    >
    ><<>>
    > bash-2.03$ ifconfig -a
    > lo0: flags=1000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 8232 index 1
    > inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    > qfe0: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 2
    > inet 192.168.0.201 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    > qfe1: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 3
    > inet 192.168.2.2 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    > qfe2: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 4
    > inet 192.168.3.1 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.3.255
    > qfe3: flags=1000843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4> mtu 1500 index 5
    > inet 192.168.4.1 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.4.255
    ><<>>
    >
    >> O.K. I wonder whether it will matter which order the systems
    >>are booted in -- to find the routing information unless you add static
    >>routes from a file in /etc/init.d, say /etc/init.d/routeadd or something
    >>similar -- then add the links to S and K names to start them as you go
    >>into multi-user mode, and to shut them down when you go back to
    >>single-user mode.

    > I didn't *think* so... in the past, I haven't ever even had in mind
    > any kind of a "connection" of the Sun had to be booted for the Linux or
    > vice versa except for the mail file (which the Linux "mutt" accesses),
    > on the Sun hard drive via an NFS mount, or to have Internet access,
    > knowing that the Sun was the router.

    It all depends on whether the system is setting up the routing
    between the various ports.

    >> You might be interested to know that IPfilter comes in Solaris
    >>10 -- another reason to go to that and a newer system eventually.

    > :)
    >
    > Eventually.... right now, I am spending enough, unless I have to!
    > :-O

    At least Solaris 10 is free -- other than the cost of a couple
    of DVD blanks to burn it onto. Three if you include the Studio-12
    compiler suite, and four if you also get the x86 SPARC downloaded. :)

    >>> I have only one other HIGH PRIORITY item (at least, that I know about
    >>> at this moment), and that is getting the serial hub working!

    >> New hostname.qfe2 and a new IP to name mapping in /etc/hosts for
    >>it -- perhaps a lot of them -- one for the box, and one for each serial
    >>prot -- just guessing as to how it is implemented, of course.

    > Okay. qfe2 does show up, now.

    As does qfe2.

    > The manual for the ESP-16 serial hub says "If the hub still has a
    > default IP address (because it has not yet been configured or the hub has
    > been reinitialized), you may enter the URL http://192.1.1.1 to access the
    > hub (or https:/192.1.1.1 for a secure connection to an ESP-16 MI hub)."
    >
    > That is not a 192.168.*.* address. I'm thinking it will probably be
    > wise to change it to something else, when I can "talk to it", do you
    > agree?
    >
    > The address that I have right now, which is a different block (so far
    > as I understand network terms) is 192.168.3.1.

    Why not configure spare (qfe3) as 192.1.1.2 so you can talk
    to the esp box then move it to the esp port (qfe2)

    > I don't mind changing it. And, I do not normally need to
    > reinitialize other devices I've used if their initial information was
    > changed. Though I haven't tried using it yet.

    I think that changing it will be the safer way to go.

    > I think I definitely want an address that starts with 192.168, or
    > would it not be broadcast on the Internet even if it were 192.1.1.1, since
    > it is not on the D-Link router or going out the qfe0 that goes to the
    > cable modem?

    It would not even get routed into your system to allow
    configuration unless you changed something on your ports addresses. And
    once there, I don't see anything to keep it from being routed (perhaps
    via NAT) unless you take explicit steps at the firewall to block it.

    I, personally, would move it to one of the other subnets like
    10.*.*.* or 172.16.*.* (preferably the latter) so you can easily tell
    the esp traffic by looking at the start of the IP numbers.

    > (I don't have any addresses currently in the hosts file that
    > starts with 192.1.1.)

    Add a "esp-test" or "esp-setup" one with 192.1.1.1 to use while
    you are reconfiguring it. Easier than typing the full IP address every
    time. :)

    [ ... ]

    >>> It will be connected to a
    >>> Sun QFE card. It will -- at first -- be USED from Linux. (Though I will
    >>> be getting the driver for Solaris, so that Solaris could use them, as
    >>> well.

    >> Oh -- so it needs a special driver. Maybe my guess about it
    >>using a separate IP address per port was wrong.

    > Okay. As soon as I can "talk to it" and see how they're configured,
    > I'm sure I'll be able to figure this out.
    >
    >>> And, some things, such as the terminals, would be fine for use from
    >>> Solaris, since they don't require files or programs available only on the
    >>> Linux system. But, some of the things must be used from Linux, and using
    >>> it from the Linux will be the first thing I accomplish.)

    >> O.K. Probably you'll need to add a special routing through the
    >>Sun for the IP range assigned to the serial port box.

    > I believe I understand. I'll keep it in mind, as I learn how to use
    > this serial hub!

    Have fun learning,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Aug 25, 2008