Re: NIH and Corporate Structure

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Paul Sture, Apr 16, 2012.

  1. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 20:06:45 -0700, In a very dark China Blue, China Blue
    condition. wrote:

    > You can deduce Apple's development organisation from their intense
    > Not-Invented-Here syndrome, applied within each development team.
    >
    > There are about 42 different image types, some C only, some Objective-C
    > only. Each team has its own unique image type which does just a few of
    > all things you would like to do with an image. That means to do a
    > variety of things (currently I'm trying to merge two files with
    > CoreImage and write it out as a PDF), you're constantly converting from
    > one project team's format to another team's format.
    >
    > This has been a wondrous feature of Apple since about the System 4 days
    > (whichever release first supported external colour monitors).

    My experience when I first set out to learn Xcode was that many of the
    example programs available on the Apple development site weren't actually
    written in Objective-C but C++ (perhaps with some traditional C too)
    instead.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Apr 16, 2012

  2. Paul Sture

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    wrote:

    > My experience when I first set out to learn Xcode was that many of the
    > example programs available on the Apple development site weren't actually
    > written in Objective-C but C++ (perhaps with some traditional C too)
    > instead.

    i don't know where you looked but there's a lot of objective-c samples
    as well as c++.

    nospam, Apr 16, 2012

  3. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:53:52 -0400, nospam wrote:

    > In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> My experience when I first set out to learn Xcode was that many of the
    >> example programs available on the Apple development site weren't
    >> actually written in Objective-C but C++ (perhaps with some traditional
    >> C too) instead.

    > i don't know where you looked but there's a lot of objective-c samples
    > as well as c++.

    This was some years ago. 2006?

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Apr 17, 2012
  4. Paul Sture

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    wrote:

    > >> My experience when I first set out to learn Xcode was that many of the
    > >> example programs available on the Apple development site weren't
    > >> actually written in Objective-C but C++ (perhaps with some traditional
    > >> C too) instead.

    > > i don't know where you looked but there's a lot of objective-c samples
    > > as well as c++.

    > This was some years ago. 2006?

    there should have been a *lot* of objective-c & cocoa samples going
    back well before that.

    nospam, Apr 17, 2012
  5. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:03:34 -0700, nospam wrote:

    >> > i don't know where you looked but there's a lot of objective-c
    >> > samples as well as c++.

    >> This was some years ago. 2006?

    > there should have been a *lot* of objective-c & cocoa samples going back
    > well before that.

    It must just have been the examples I picked on. I know that at one
    point I was looking at how to write large files using Objective-C and
    came up short of examples for that.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Apr 17, 2012
  6. Paul Sture

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    wrote:

    > It must just have been the examples I picked on. I know that at one
    > point I was looking at how to write large files using Objective-C and
    > came up short of examples for that.

    you're better off with c++ streams for that.

    nospam, Apr 17, 2012
  7. Paul Sture

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:48:55 -0700, nospam wrote:

    > In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It must just have been the examples I picked on. I know that at one
    >> point I was looking at how to write large files using Objective-C and
    >> came up short of examples for that.

    > you're better off with c++ streams for that.

    That was my conclusion too. Thanks for the confirmation.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Apr 18, 2012