Re: Notebook With Pluggable Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by - Bobb -, Nov 27, 2009.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "W" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a notebook with a 17" widescreen monitor that has its hard
    > drive available as a plug-in module that is easily removed and replaced.
    > We want to have three separate boot devices: for Windows XP, Windows
    > Vista, and Windows 7, and it's very important that we be able to quickly
    > switch between these. We do NOT want a notebook where you have to
    > unscrew some compartment on the bottom of the computer and then hassle
    > with removing or installing a drive. We want to be able to just press
    > a button and have a drive come out, and be able to instantly plug in a
    > replacement drive, minimum hassle, with the whole exchange done in under
    > 30 seconds.
    >
    > Does any manufacturer make such a notebook? What is make and model?
    >
    > --

    Is for quick travel ? or is a docking bay an option ? Compaq made a lot of
    them for their stuff. If so check HP/Compaq business website.
    A lot of their portables have options that eject with a latch, but I think
    they require undoing a screw for the HDD ( MOST users don't commonly swap
    HDD- especially on a 17 in pc) , but one captive screw - slide - pop in new
    one - slide - rescrew - 30 seconds is doable.

    For what you want I think the HDD would be one assembly so make sure that
    you take that into account - order not just a "spare drive" but all of the
    pieces required. ( the case holding the drive etc) You want to make sure you
    have 2 complete spares ( think of deck of cards and the HDD being the
    cards - you also need the case to house the HDD (cards), internal
    connectors etc)
    Good luck.

    A good resource is for info is
    http://www.tomshardware.com/search.php?s=Removable Hard Drive Laptop