Re. [OT] -- Voice for Stroke Victims

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by no-top@post, Feb 6, 2007.

  1. no-top@post

    no-top@post Guest

    OP wrote:
    > > My aunt recently had a major stroke. She's coming
    > > back to us, but it's
    > > affected her severely and she'll probably never regain
    > > her speech.
    > >
    > > My mother was visiting her the other day and
    > > noticed that she's quite
    > > good at handling a TV remote. This, plus the
    > > fact that my aunt seems to
    > > be fine at understanding people made her
    > > wonder if anyone makes a
    > > remote-sized thingie with a button to say
    > > "yes" and a button to say
    > > "no". Frankly, I think Aunt would vastly
    > > amused by a third button to
    > > say "You $#%@!".
    > >
    > > This seems like an obvious thing to have available,
    > > yet I cannot find
    > > anything. Has anyone run across such a beastie,
    > > or have any suggestions
    > > on search terms that might make Google or Yahoo
    > > cough up a pertinent web
    > > site?

    How do they know that she's "fine at understanding
    people", unless she is able to 'communicate', if they
    don't use a MRI ?!

    How do you think deaf and dumb people communicate ?
    If she wants to communicate with me she can nod or
    wink, and we won't have to be insolated by some
    electrogadget.

    Or is she isolated in a box and you don't want to tell ?

    Richard Dobson wrote:
    > Many years ago my father (a professional musician) had a heart attack
    > followed by a stroke and lost all speech (though he could still play
    > instruments); through speech therapy he regained his speech so well
    > (I suppose it took a year) as to be able to speak in public fluently,
    > without stuttering or anything. Of course strokes vary enormously in
    > their impact, and there can never be guarantees, but I have a great
    > respect for the body's ability to rebuild itself given enough focussed
    > attention; I would say get speech therapy on board as soon as possible
    > and not give up on the possibility of substantial improvement, if not
    > necessarily a full recovery, too soon.

    Yes it's very complex & beyond an electric gadget solution.
    Some years back, I woke up with double vision.
    I knew that I'd had a mini-stroke. It's called ap...ia.
    Fortunately a friend who's a few years older had similar which
    slowly recovered after 3 months.
    Because I'm in S.Africa where the med-services are collapsing
    I did self-med with inet help and brought my cholesterol down,
    which probably had caused it, by cabbage soup & cheap tinned-fish.
    I could notice the improvement while I was doing eye exercises.

    == Chris Glur.

    no-top@post, Feb 6, 2007