Re: OT - Windows Vista Saving Video Question

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ben Myers, Dec 3, 2010.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/2/2010 3:12 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    > Ok, I'm asking here because I figure I'll get the right answer.
    >
    > I'm on XP and my sister in another state is on Vista. I sent her a video
    > I recorded in one the iTunes formats
    > that will load and play in the iTouch.
    >
    > Here's the thing - she uses bell south or something to get her email.
    > She logs onto a bell south web site to read her email.
    > She received my emails but needs to save those videos to her computer so she
    > can load them onto iTunes.
    >
    > What are the steps to do this? I tried to talk her thru it but I'm not
    > used to Vista. I told her to right click the video link and click "Save as"
    > and save to "My Videos" in her "My Documents" folder.
    >
    > On her Vista computer I had her right click the video link and a menu came
    > up with lots of options. I had her pick "Save target" to some video folder
    > I've not familiar with in My Documents. She closes her bell south page and
    > goes to My Documents. She opens some video folder and clicks the video
    > file. That link does not play but goes back to her bell south email page.
    > She then plays the video from that link.
    >
    > The goal is to get that video from her email on her bell south page to her
    > computer. She's a thousand miles away and I have to do this over the phone.
    >
    > Thanks much.

    Not sure which email package she is using, but "Save Target" might be a
    way to save only the link to the video, not the video itself. What
    other options does she have to do something with the video link?

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 3, 2010

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/3/2010 12:17 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    > "Ben Myers"<> wrote in message
    >> On 12/2/2010 3:12 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    >>> Ok, I'm asking here because I figure I'll get the right answer.
    >>>
    >>> I'm on XP and my sister in another state is on Vista. I sent her a
    >>> video
    >>> I recorded in one the iTunes formats
    >>> that will load and play in the iTouch.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the thing - she uses bell south or something to get her email.
    >>> She logs onto a bell south web site to read her email.
    >>> She received my emails but needs to save those videos to her computer so
    >>> she
    >>> can load them onto iTunes.
    >>>
    >>> What are the steps to do this? I tried to talk her thru it but I'm
    >>> not
    >>> used to Vista. I told her to right click the video link and click "Save
    >>> as"
    >>> and save to "My Videos" in her "My Documents" folder.
    >>>
    >>> On her Vista computer I had her right click the video link and a menu
    >>> came
    >>> up with lots of options. I had her pick "Save target" to some video
    >>> folder
    >>> I've not familiar with in My Documents. She closes her bell south page
    >>> and
    >>> goes to My Documents. She opens some video folder and clicks the video
    >>> file. That link does not play but goes back to her bell south email
    >>> page.
    >>> She then plays the video from that link.
    >>>
    >>> The goal is to get that video from her email on her bell south page to
    >>> her
    >>> computer. She's a thousand miles away and I have to do this over the
    >>> phone.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks much.
    >>>

    >> Not sure which email package she is using, but "Save Target" might be a
    >> way to save only the link to the video, not the video itself. What other
    >> options does she have to do something with the video link?

    > She read a list to me and I waited to hear "Save As..." but did not hear
    > it. I only heard "Save Target" and bunch of other stuff. I'll ask her to
    > try to save it again and read the list again. Is there a keyboard shortcut
    > she can hit to bring up the Save As..." option?

    Darned if I know. I am not familiar with the Bell South email she is
    using. Most web-based email packages have some sort of options to save
    attachments.

    A lot of people, including me, are switching from or are considering
    switching from (take your pick) Bell South, Verizon, Comcast, Charter
    and other ISP-supplied email because of various issues: performance,
    ever-changing user interface, crippled user interface. Hence the
    popularity of gmail, yahoo mail and even Microsoft Hotmail... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 3, 2010

  3. Ben Myers

    Guest Guest

    Ben Myers <> writes:

    > Darned if I know. I am not familiar with the Bell South email she is
    > using. Most web-based email packages have some sort of options to
    > save attachments.
    >
    > A lot of people, including me, are switching from or are considering
    > switching from (take your pick) Bell South, Verizon, Comcast, Charter
    > and other ISP-supplied email because of various issues: performance,
    > ever-changing user interface, crippled user interface. Hence the
    > popularity of gmail, yahoo mail and even Microsoft Hotmail... Ben
    > Myers

    With Verizon DSL my mail is just on a generic PoP server, I use
    the Mozilla Thunderbird to read it. As far as I know, Verizon
    does not affect the final interface at all.

    I use gmail too, but for different types of email (primarily
    for e-commerce --- great spam detector!).

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    Guest, Dec 4, 2010
  4. Ben Myers

    Steve W. Guest

    Von Fourche wrote:

    >> Not sure which email package she is using, but "Save Target" might be a
    >> way to save only the link to the video, not the video itself. What other
    >> options does she have to do something with the video link?

    > She read a list to me and I waited to hear "Save As..." but did not hear
    > it. I only heard "Save Target" and bunch of other stuff. I'll ask her to
    > try to save it again and read the list again. Is there a keyboard shortcut
    > she can hit to bring up the Save As..." option?

    I think bell souths web mail is handled under Yahoo. When they were
    bought by AT&T that is where the web based mail went. If that is the
    case tell her to look at the my attachments tab down below the folders
    list. Select it and hit search for attachments. Select the one she wants
    and it should allow it to be saved to computer.

    --
    Steve W.
    (\___/)

    Steve W., Dec 4, 2010
  5. Ben Myers

    Steve W. Guest

    Von Fourche wrote:
    > "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 12/2/2010 3:12 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
    >>> Ok, I'm asking here because I figure I'll get the right answer.
    >>>
    >>> I'm on XP and my sister in another state is on Vista. I sent her a
    >>> video
    >>> I recorded in one the iTunes formats
    >>> that will load and play in the iTouch.
    >>>
    >>> Here's the thing - she uses bell south or something to get her email.
    >>> She logs onto a bell south web site to read her email.
    >>> She received my emails but needs to save those videos to her computer so
    >>> she
    >>> can load them onto iTunes.
    >>>
    >>> What are the steps to do this? I tried to talk her thru it but I'm
    >>> not
    >>> used to Vista. I told her to right click the video link and click "Save
    >>> as"
    >>> and save to "My Videos" in her "My Documents" folder.
    >>>
    >>> On her Vista computer I had her right click the video link and a menu
    >>> came
    >>> up with lots of options. I had her pick "Save target" to some video
    >>> folder
    >>> I've not familiar with in My Documents. She closes her bell south page
    >>> and
    >>> goes to My Documents. She opens some video folder and clicks the video
    >>> file. That link does not play but goes back to her bell south email
    >>> page.
    >>> She then plays the video from that link.
    >>>
    >>> The goal is to get that video from her email on her bell south page to
    >>> her
    >>> computer. She's a thousand miles away and I have to do this over the
    >>> phone.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks much.
    >>>

    >> Not sure which email package she is using, but "Save Target" might be a
    >> way to save only the link to the video, not the video itself. What other
    >> options does she have to do something with the video link?

    > She read a list to me and I waited to hear "Save As..." but did not hear
    > it. I only heard "Save Target" and bunch of other stuff. I'll ask her to
    > try to save it again and read the list again. Is there a keyboard shortcut
    > she can hit to bring up the Save As..." option?

    Important Update!
    All legacy BellSouth customers have been migrated to the new AT&T/Yahoo
    platform and should use the Email Configuration Site.
    http://www.att.net/s/s.dll?spage=host/newsletter/newsletter.htm&ch=host/newsletter
    http://att.yahoo.com/mail

    The servers for all legacy BellSouth customers are:
    Incoming (POP): pop.att.yahoo.com
    Outgoing (SMTP): smtp.att.yahoo.com (requires authentication)
    Incoming mail server type: POP3
    Incoming/Outgoing User Name: Full AT&T email address, including domain
    Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked</B>
    Outgoing mail port # 465, secure connection (SSL) checked</B>

    Note: Your email password can/may be different from your standard
    FastAccess login password. Also, unlike having to log into FastAccess,
    your POP email log in does not require "@bellsouth.net" after the
    username. To change your email password check here.

    Steve W., Dec 4, 2010