Re: password recovery part deux

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Frank, May 15, 2008.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    On May 14, 8:28 pm, Mark F <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:34:20 -0400, Frank
    >
    > <frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet> wrote:
    > > Son seems to have corrected problem.  Something about the bios.
    > > Also wondering if CMOS battery could have been source also.

    > You said the computer was 5 years old, so the battery could be dead.
    >
    > If I were you I would clone the system disk and then replace the
    > battery if Frank Jr. thinks it could be the problem.
    >
    > If you have further problems you should post the model number and
    > perhaps the motherboard part number.

    Thanks. When I mentioned this back to GW, they said they are sending
    me a battery, gratis. Should get in 5-10 days. I've been moderately
    pleased with GW's response to this problem on the older machine but
    did not want to use the $3 or so per minute expert service with
    machine age. It fits my wife's needs and I had just put in an extr
    gig memory. Funny, I can get specifics on her original purchase by
    putting in computer serial number to GW but they will not recognize,
    anywhere, my one year old GW. I had also added an extra 2 gigs to my
    machine.

    I've been buying GW's for over 15 years and putting a lot of miles on
    them. Only had problems with one that GW replaced everything except
    mouse and keyboard. Wish I could have got the frequent flyer miles on
    that machine which made several trips back and forth to the Dakotas.

    Frank Jr. meanwhile completely wiped hard drive and reinstalled bios,
    XP pro along with Firefox and Open Office and all appear to be working
    fine. He said just pop out old battery and install new without
    leaving it out for long time. Fortunately Mom had never used full
    potential of computer and main files she laments loosing were her
    browser bookmarks.

    Frank, May 15, 2008

  2. Frank

    Smith Guest

    Wow, $3 a minute now? It's times like this I love that my Gateway P4 that I
    still use has the free lifetime phone tech support. Gateway support has
    always been good to me, never given me issues with replacement warranty
    parts or anything. They were even nice enough to help me free of charge on
    my sister's system which was not under warranty anymore. Good people, I've
    owned 7 Gateway computers and will go back for an 8th when the time comes :)
    And, heh, yeah everyone always forgets to save the browser bookmarks before
    a whipe, I've done that so many times...you just don't think about it until
    too late.

    Smith, Jun 18, 2008