    Buy a cheap PCI SATA (about $70.00 US) or PATA (about $30.00 US)
    adapter and you're all set.

    Tom L

    Tom Lake, Dec 16, 2010

  2. Tom Lake

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 12/16/2010 7:53 AM, Tom Lake wrote:
    > "wantahomeserver" wrote in message
    >

    > I have recently been given a Dell PowereEdge 2850 for free. A former
    > roomie was going to send it to the dump. I was searching the dumps
    > recently for something to use as a household media server, and this one
    > almost fits the bill. The dilemma is that it has a total of 72GB of
    > space in two SCSI hot swap drives. The largest sized compatible SCSI
    > drives are 300GB and cost around $300. I'm trying to do this on the
    > cheap and would appreciate suggestions. I could put out $300 soon but
    > already have over 300GB of media to store on it and would much rather
    > spend that much on a terabyte or two.
    >
    > Buy a cheap PCI SATA (about $70.00 US) or PATA (about $30.00 US)
    > adapter and you're all set.
    >
    > Tom L

    The system itself may not want to boot from a SATA or PATA adapter.

    Thers's a reason why SCSI drives are much more expensive. They are made
    for demanding 24/7 high use operation. SATA drives are not made as
    well. You get what you pay for, including too damned many failures of
    SATA drives. A manufacturer's 5-year warranty on a SATA drive does not
    count for squat when you take into account your own time spent repairing
    a system with a failed SATA drive.

    That's the reason why I continue to run SCSI drives on my desktop
    systems, contrary to modern practice... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 16, 2010

  3. Actually, they sell for 250 on eBay. It works fine on only one powe
    supply and the fans aren't that noisy and I have an unoccupied room fo
    it anyway. If it can't be used for the purpose that I want, are ther
    any suggestions on how to make it useful

    wantahomeserver, Jan 12, 2011
  4. On 1/12/2011 12:41 AM, wantahomeserver wrote:
    > Actually, they sell for 250 on eBay. It works fine on only one power
    > supply and the fans aren't that noisy and I have an unoccupied room for
    > it anyway. If it can't be used for the purpose that I want, are there
    > any suggestions on how to make it useful?

    with multiple large drives i suppose it could fetch that price, but
    don't confuse ebay asking prices with actual market value. in other
    words look at completed auctions for the sale price of items that
    actually sold and not the prices that sellers wish they could sell their
    equipment for.

    it is a server and is great for use as a server. the dual power
    supplies with automatic switching and raid controller for redundant disk
    drive configurations provide exceptional up time as one would want from
    a server. given its age it probably is no longer desireable as a
    primary server in a organization because dell will not longer warranty
    it and that means part replacement can not be assured in the event of a
    failure. and given the cost of labour to configure it is hard to
    justify installing anything but new in a for profit business (the cost
    of the hardware becomes incidental in the face of the cost of labour and
    software). it could be useful for a small non-profit that has volunteer
    labour that can set it up. or it could be fun to use as a learning
    machine to use to install lunix on and set it up as a web and/or mail
    server. or i suppose a strapped company might use it as a backup domain
    controller which wouldn't require a whole lot of memory or disk space.

    good luck.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 12, 2011