Re: Problem with EP45T-EXTREME

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Paul, Feb 9, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Maciej Piechotka wrote:
    > Hello. I have a problem with booting on EP45T-EXTREME. I suspect eighter
    > the CPU or motherboard (since the only communication with the system in
    > through the motherboard I ask here):
    >
    > - The diode showing CPU temperature is showing < 60° C
    > - The diode showing CPU load is showing near 100% load
    > - The cpu fan move slightly at startup and after a few mm it stops (it moves
    > back on power-off). It is not due to some other fan (checked)
    > - The screen is blank
    > - The error code display is showing FF
    >
    > The configuration:
    > - GA-EP46T-EXTREME as motherboard
    > - Core Quad 2 Q9650 3 GHz
    > - Kingstone memory 1600 MHz DDR 3
    > - Gigabyte Radeon 4870x2
    > - 850 W power supply
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > PS. I tried to use Gigabyte support center but I receive no response as far.

    The motherboard has two power cables. The 24 pin one is for the motherboard
    electrical loads. The 8 pin one is for powering the processor. The Debug
    Display sitting at FF means the CPU has not executed any code.

    The 8 pin power connector, can use either a four pin or an eight pin
    power source. One page of the user manual, is dedicated to explaining
    about the power connectors. If using the eight pin connector, you
    can check the pin numbers against that shown in the manual. There should be
    four identical yellow wires on one side and four black wires on the
    other side. The yellow wires are +12V.

    You can also use a four pin connector. The connector plugs into
    pins 3,4,7,8.

    If the power is fully connected, you can try a test with the
    memory removed and the video card removed. Make sure you have
    a computer case speaker connected to the F_PANEL header, so you
    can hear "beeps" caused by the memory and video card being
    unplugged. If you hear beeps, it means the CPU has executed
    some code. You should also be able to view a new value on the
    debug display. The debug display shows "progress" codes and
    not "error" codes. Before a subroutine executes in the BIOS,
    the progress code is updated to indicate what happens next.
    When the display gets stuck, that tells you what subroutine
    it is stuck at.

    The best way to read the manual, is with the PDF version.
    It is available from one of several Gigabyte websites.

    ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45t-extreme_e.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 9, 2009

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Maciej Piechotka wrote:

    >> The 8 pin power connector, can use either a four pin or an eight pin
    >> power source. One page of the user manual, is dedicated to explaining
    >> about the power connectors. If using the eight pin connector, you
    >> can check the pin numbers against that shown in the manual. There should be
    >> four identical yellow wires on one side and four black wires on the
    >> other side. The yellow wires are +12V.
    >>

    > Although it is as you described in power supply manual actually 2 wires
    > (which are detechable to make 2x3 pin connector) are black from 'right'.

    You are using the PCI Express connector! That is not the correct connector.

    Try the ATX12V 2x2 connector, which exists on desktop power supplies. This
    is enough to power up to a 130W processor. Plug into pins 3,4,7,8 (see the manual,
    which is where I got those pin numbers). Don't use the PCI Express connector.
    On a brand new motherboard, sometimes there is a sticky label to cover
    the unused four pins of the ATX12V 8 pin connector, making it more
    obvious where the 2x2 connector goes. The plastic "latch" on the 2x2, should
    partially engage the plastic latch mate on the motherboard side.

    http://www.atmarkit.co.jp/fsys/cableconnect/09power/04power_atx12v-cbl-l.jpg

    You're also going to have to check what you've done with that PCI
    Express connector. Did the yellow wires feed 12V pins on the connector ?
    Or did you somehow manage to reverse the connections, such that yellow
    went to GND and black went to the 12V pins ? If you did that, you may
    have damaged the Vcore circuit.

    > I didn't find case speaker (unless I can connect HD Audio or AC 97 - but
    > I don't think so). But I'll check the error code.

    See "F_PANEL" in the manual. "SPEAK+" and "SPEAK-" go to the case speaker
    inside the computer case. The speaker will have a 1x4 connector on the end.
    The computer typically sends beep codes to the speaker.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 9, 2009

  3. Paul

    Les

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hi

    I have nearly precisely the same symptoms with my new EP45T-EXTREME. However I am using a Q8200 2.33Ghz Core 2 Quad Processor and a Radeon HD4670 PCIE 16 video card. When I remove the graphics card the processer fan starts to spin but all else remains the same. The manual is actually quite confusing to a layman such as myself. It seems to me to imply that the 8 pin connection has a protective cover because it is only required if you have an Extreme Intel Processor which the Q8200 is not. My 2 X 12 connection is a 2x10 and a 2x2 which seem to join neatly to give 2x12. Should I also hook up the 2x4 processor connector? I ask the question because the manual specifically says do not insert power cables into the protected cover pins when using 2X2 12V and 2x10. Thanks.

    Les, Jun 16, 2009