Re: Problem with SAS disk

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by DoN. Nichols, Mar 5, 2009.

  1. DoN. Nichols

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2009-03-05, Konstantinos Agouros <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a problem with a 5220:
    >
    > It has 4 Seagate 146GB SAS disks. probe-scsi-all gives me:
    > Now if I look at the situation with format disk2 seems to have a problem:
    >
    > 2. c1t2d0 <SEAGATE-ST914602SSUN146G-0603-136.73GB>

    [ ... ]

    > The partition table of disk2 also looks strange:
    >
    > Total disk sectors available: 286722911 + 16384 (reserved sectors)
    >
    > Part Tag Flag First Sector Size Last Sector
    > 0 usr wm 34 136.72GB 286722911
    > 1 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 2 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 3 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 4 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 5 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 6 unassigned wm 0 0 0
    > 8 reserved wm 286722912 8.00MB 286739295
    >
    > Since I need to mirror this disk I need a standard vtoc onit. Anybody has
    > a clue how to repair it?

    Yep! No experience with SAS disks, but plenty of experience
    with this problem in both SCA SCSI disks and FC-AL disks. Your disk has
    been formatted for use in a RAID assembly. That 8.00 MB partition at
    the end keeps information about the RAID array that it is part of.

    To get rid of it try this:

    format -e c1t2d0
    label
    (and it will offer you a choice of two label types.
    Select the first of the two offered types. Once this is
    done, you can partition it normally.)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

    DoN. Nichols, Mar 5, 2009