Re: raq4: is it possible to wget by tftp?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by DoN. Nichols, Aug 4, 2009.

  1. DoN. Nichols

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2009-08-03, tg <> wrote:
    > my question pertains specifically to the sun cobalt raq4 running Cobalt
    > Linux (from 960-RAQ4S101AU.iso).

    It is not hardware dependent. Any unix or linux should do it
    the same way. You are not even asking about Sun's Solaris version of
    unix in the software world.

    > I know how to download a file to the raq
    > from the internet using the telnet command:
    > wget http://blah-de-blah...

    That is not a "telnet" command. It is a "wget" command, which
    invokes the ftp or the http protocol depending on the configuration of
    the server. It does not (apparently) support tftp.

    > but the file I want is on a computer on the local LAN (and not from the
    > internet). The file in question is a pkg file on a windows PC running a
    > TFTP server. The TFTP server is properly configured to give the file to
    > whoever asks for it.
    > Is there a command that will wget it?

    Why wget -- why for normal ftp as well, other than the
    convenience if someone has provided a URL pointing to it, instead of a
    server name and a path to the file as separate items.

    You should have an ftp command, and a tftp command in a linux,
    just as you do in Sun's Solaris and in the BSD flavors. (I just checked
    OpenBSD to be sure that tftp was present.)

    Try "man tftp" to find out how to use it.

    Depending on whether it is a binary (e.g. an executable or an
    image) or a text file, you may need to start out with the commands
    "binary" or "ascii" to turn off and on end-of-line conversion at each
    end.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Nichols, Aug 4, 2009

  2. DoN. Nichols

    Rick Jones Guest

    DoN. Nichols <> wrote:
    > You should have an ftp command, and a tftp command in a linux,

    Might that depend on how "minimalist" the default install is for the
    given Linux distro and how much else has been installed since then?

    rick jones
    Rick Jones, Aug 4, 2009