Re: repairing compaq presario M2000 series

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Postman Delivers, Apr 30, 2008.

  1. On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:41:27 -0500, C. Pravdyna wrote:

    > I have a Compaq Presario M2000 series (M2105US). It works well and I
    > have had no problems with it other than that when I shut it down I am
    > unable to reboot without reinstalling Windows XP using the original
    > disk. When I shut down and later turn it on, I get an error message that
    > says "internal boot error" (from what I remember) I have not been able
    > to permanently fix the problem, so I now keep my computer on all of the
    > time and avoid shutting down unless absolutely necessary. I have no
    > difficulty operating the computer after reinstalling the OS, and it
    > works properly until I shut down. Then I must repeat the OS installation
    > over again. But unless I shut down the computer, there is no problem. It
    > seems to take longer for programs to load than previously, but nothing
    > major aside from the problem with shutdown.

    * * *
    Maybe tis only a MBR problem -

    Once Windows is done starting, you need to find the I386 installation
    directory, either on the installation CD, or on C:\I386 as it was on my
    laptop, and install the Recovery Console by running C:\I386\WINNT32.EXE /
    cmdcons.

    Choose the Recovery Console option from the menu that appears. You will
    get a very limited shell, where you can type 'fixmbr' to fix the MBR on
    your boot drive allowing you to start the sytem.

    You should now have a properly booting Windows system, unless your HD is
    hosed or can not properly be set up as a boot drive...

    Depending how old the system is, Compaq/HP should be able to walk you
    through the procedure via live chat on a different system if you feel
    unsure... Or visit your local competent computer repair shop for a hard
    drive check and maybe a replacement...

    JR the postman
    Postman Delivers, Apr 30, 2008

  2. Postman Delivers

    april_fest

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    This model is a early 2004 one. The one with me also gave lot of problems. But is my lucky one.
    april_fest, May 14, 2008

  3. Postman Delivers

    6eight

    Joined:
    May 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Tennessee
    cheap test

    Sounds to me like a bad HD. I've come across 14 in the past year with the same problem. Most however were SATA.

    You have the recovery cds, so get another HD, at todays prices that's cheaper than tacking it to a tech shop.
    6eight, May 26, 2008