Re: Replacement DVD/CD burner for Vaio PCG-K23 compatibility question.

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by BillW50, Sep 15, 2011.

  1. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:j4qvn7$154$,
    David Farber wrote:
    > I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K23. The DVD/CD drive is quite erratic and
    > needs replacing. The model number on the drive says, SBW-242C QSI.
    > How important is it to replace it with a QSI drive? Also, if I get a
    > different drive that doesn't have the "C" suffix in the model
    > number, would that matter?
    > Thanks for your reply.

    Speaking generically and not about yours in particular, virtually all
    laptops use the standard slimline optical drive. And Windows 2000 and up
    doesn't care which one you use and no driver is needed since it is now
    built into Windows. Unless you are running some older than Windows 2000.

    Usually the only difference between a stock slimline and what is found
    in a particular laptop model is a mounting frame (which may include a
    plug adapter) and the face plate. Otherwise it doesn't really matter. Of
    course optical drives comes in many different types. Some can only read,
    some can only write CDs and not DVDs, some does both, etc.

    --
    Bill

  2. dg1261

    dg1261 Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in news:j4st5t$oo3$:

    > Usually the only difference between a stock slimline and what is found
    > in a particular laptop model is a mounting frame (which may include a
    > plug adapter) and the face plate.

    That's not a trivial difference. There's no convention on how the
    faceplate attaches to the tray mechanism or where the button and the
    release hole line up. Thus, the OP shouldn't assume he can obtain any old
    slimline and swap the frame and faceplate with his old pieces.

    1. Advertising

  3. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:Xns9F617431B714FdgREMOVETHIS1261csco@88.198.244.100,
    dg1261 <> typed:
    > "BillW50" <> wrote in news:j4st5t$oo3$:
    >
    >> Usually the only difference between a stock slimline and what is
    >> found in a particular laptop model is a mounting frame (which may
    >> include a plug adapter) and the face plate.

    > That's not a trivial difference. There's no convention on how the
    > faceplate attaches to the tray mechanism or where the button and the
    > release hole line up. Thus, the OP shouldn't assume he can obtain
    > any old slimline and swap the frame and faceplate with his old pieces.

    Good point! Years ago this used to be a very big problem. But it seems
    nowadays virtually everybody seems to be using the generic slimline
    design. I haven't seen a problem between Dells, Gateway, and Alienware
    lately yet anyway. Just match up PATA or SATA types.

    I am also coming from the perspective that I have plenty of generic
    slimline optical drives in stock. So when I am servicing a laptop that
    needs the drive replaced, I remove the face plate and the frame and put
    them on the generic slimline drive and they have been working.

    In my case if the face plate eject button nor the release hole didn't
    line up, it isn't a big deal. I just can't use it and nobody is out any
    money. Although an user trying to replace their optical drive and buys a
    generic slimline and it doesn't line up, then it *is* a big deal.

    --
    Bill
    Alienware M9700 ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2

  4. David Farber

    David Farber Guest

    BillW50 wrote:
    > In news:Xns9F617431B714FdgREMOVETHIS1261csco@88.198.244.100,
    > dg1261 <> typed:
    >> "BillW50" <> wrote in news:j4st5t$oo3$:
    >>
    >>> Usually the only difference between a stock slimline and what is
    >>> found in a particular laptop model is a mounting frame (which may
    >>> include a plug adapter) and the face plate.

    >> That's not a trivial difference. There's no convention on how the
    >> faceplate attaches to the tray mechanism or where the button and the
    >> release hole line up. Thus, the OP shouldn't assume he can obtain
    >> any old slimline and swap the frame and faceplate with his old
    >> pieces.

    > Good point! Years ago this used to be a very big problem. But it seems
    > nowadays virtually everybody seems to be using the generic slimline
    > design. I haven't seen a problem between Dells, Gateway, and
    > Alienware lately yet anyway. Just match up PATA or SATA types.
    >
    > I am also coming from the perspective that I have plenty of generic
    > slimline optical drives in stock. So when I am servicing a laptop that
    > needs the drive replaced, I remove the face plate and the frame and
    > put them on the generic slimline drive and they have been working.
    >
    > In my case if the face plate eject button nor the release hole didn't
    > line up, it isn't a big deal. I just can't use it and nobody is out
    > any money. Although an user trying to replace their optical drive and
    > buys a generic slimline and it doesn't line up, then it *is* a big
    > deal.

    Thanks for the input. I guess if I do not buy the exact model, first I'll
    have to get a very good look at where the eject button, eject hole, and
    l.e.d. are located in the replacement drive.

    --

    David Farber
    Los Osos, CA