Re: Running windows from a flash drive - possible?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Paul, Nov 22, 2010.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    greysky wrote:
    > My idea is that I would like to run my computer from a flash drive - in
    > other words putting my OS inside a thumb drive instead of a hard disk.
    > On the net, I see there are many articles telling how to install windows
    > xp from a flash drive, and even a few that tell how to use a cut down
    > version of windows using Bart's PE builder, but this isn't what I want
    > to do. Ideally, I'd like to be able to carry around a USB flash drive
    > that I can use on any computer to run my windows XP from and in effect,
    > bypass the machines hard disk and built in OS. (assuming the computer
    > can allow booting from a flash drive). I see my entire windows xp os
    > should be able to fit onto a 16 GB flash drive - can it be as simple as
    > running the windows install disk and directing it to the flash device?
    > Anyone try this before? It's easier to do this with Linux, but alas, I
    > can't run any of my programs on that platform...

    Windows XP can be booted from a flash drive. There
    is a recipe, that basically makes sure the USB
    bus is set up in such a way as to keep running
    during the boot sequence. Without the registry
    hack, the USB flash key seems to get disconnected,
    half way through the boot sequence. And no,
    I've never done this. You may have to look around
    a bit, to find a recipe where respondents report
    success.

    (Look around for more recipes with "Boot Bus Extender" in them.)

    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2201401.php

    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic116114.html

    The problem is, you can't go running around
    to different computers and booting it. With
    WinXP, the issue is activation. If you wanted
    to drag around some other OS, it might work,
    at least, as long as your drive was chock
    full of drivers. Windows supports "Profiles",
    and you can select a profile at boot time,
    as a way to manage sets of hardware.

    But WinXP has activation, and you'd be running
    into that all the time.

    (How windows calculates whether activation is needed)

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

    Now, if you had some kind of pirated version,
    where the activation was broken, I suppose it
    just might work.

    *******

    Linux has WINE, which will run some of the
    less complicated pieces of software. So you can
    run "some" Windows programs under Linux, but
    never the ones you want. It's always the stuff
    you're not interested in, that runs under WINE.

    A potential way to do it (which I haven't investigated
    at all), would be to use Linux, and host WinXP in a
    virtual machine. You'll need to find a virtual machine
    package that runs on Linux, to try that out. The
    virtual machine would have a consistent set of
    virtual hardware devices, and that is all that
    WinXP would see. In that way, you'd insulate WinXP
    from the variable real hardware on the computer. I'm
    sure there's some way to do that.

    (Example)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualbox

    A better OS, for some fun like that, might be
    Win2K (no activation, just license key). But then,
    I don't know if the Bus Extender recipe is the same
    or not. So perhaps Linux + VM, is the next best thing
    as a portable platform for you.

    Paul

    1. Advertising

  2. Richie

    Richie

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2010
    Messages:
    8
    Linux is a good choice.:D

    1. Advertising

  3. Bob F

    Bob F Guest

    greysky wrote:
> [...]

    > run "some" Windows programs under Linux, but
    > never the ones you want. It's always the stuff
    > you're not interested in, that runs under WINE.
    >
    > A potential way to do it (which I haven't investigated
    > at all), would be to use Linux, and host WinXP in a
    > virtual machine. You'll need to find a virtual machine
    > package that runs on Linux, to try that out. The
    > virtual machine would have a consistent set of
    > virtual hardware devices, and that is all that
    > WinXP would see. In that way, you'd insulate WinXP
    > from the variable real hardware on the computer. I'm
    > sure there's some way to do that.
    >
    > (Example)
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualbox
    >
    > A better OS, for some fun like that, might be
    > Win2K (no activation, just license key). But then,
    > I don't know if the Bus Extender recipe is the same
    > or not. So perhaps Linux + VM, is the next best thing

    You'd still have problems with the drivers for the hardware not matching from
    machine to machine. Even with Win 2K, that's stopped me from swapping a drive
    from one motherboard to another.