Re: Safely remove hardware icon for 8600GT

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by KCB, Jun 11, 2009.

  1. KCB

    KCB Guest

    "Sam" <none> wrote in message
    news:4a31741a$0$15542$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > After a rebuild of the HD, I noticed the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon
    > in the systray for the graphics card. I used nvidia's latest drivers
    > (v185.85) which I think caused the problem. A re-install didn't fix
    > the problem. Anyone know how to fix this? TIA

    That's not referring to your video card, it's because you have removable
    drives or ports for removable devices. This includes, but is not
    limited to, USB, SD, miniSD, microSD, CompactFlash, MMC, Memory Stick,
    etc...
    KCB, Jun 11, 2009

  2. KCB

    Gilmartin Guest

    I'm having the same issue- I made a post about it some 2 weeks ago. It
    happened to my system when I "upgraded" to Vista SP2. I reported it to
    Mickeysoft who passed the buck to Nvidia. In turn Nvidia have passed
    the buck to my motherboard manufacturer- AS Rock. I have now emailed
    them twice and apart from an automated acknowledgement have had no
    other response from them.
    I'm betting it will disappear when a patch to SP2 arrives...
    Gilmartin, Jun 12, 2009

  3. KCB

    Paul Guest

    Gilmartin wrote:
    > I'm having the same issue- I made a post about it some 2 weeks ago. It
    > happened to my system when I "upgraded" to Vista SP2. I reported it to
    > Mickeysoft who passed the buck to Nvidia. In turn Nvidia have passed
    > the buck to my motherboard manufacturer- AS Rock. I have now emailed
    > them twice and apart from an automated acknowledgement have had no
    > other response from them.
    > I'm betting it will disappear when a patch to SP2 arrives...

    PCI Express supports hot plug. The question would be why it is
    turned on for this form factor. It would make more sense, for
    something like an ExpressCard on a laptop (PCI Express x1).
    Or a PCI Express device at the end of an extension cable
    of some sort.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pci_express

    "Hotplugging? Depends on form factor"

    This pcisig slide set, claims the standard register
    set for PCI Express supports hot plug. So it has
    likely always been lurking there, until some clever
    driver writer wired it up to the OS :) But some
    designer has to decide what the default for the
    register should be. Other possibilities exist,
    if the register can be written at a later point
    in time.

    (See page 19)
    http://www.pcisig.com/developers/ma...c_id=f275ada7d622d20947d69cbb34b6e0a0622249c3

    "Hot plug registers are integral part of the PCI Express
    standard configuration register set"

    I don't have a copy of the specs, because they cost money.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Jun 12, 2009
  4. KCB

    KCB Guest

    "Sam" <none> wrote in message
    > "KCB" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sam" <none> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> After a rebuild of the HD, I noticed the "Safely Remove Hardware"
    >>> icon in the systray for the graphics card. I used nvidia's latest
    >>> drivers (v185.85) which I think caused the problem. A re-install
    >>> didn't fix the problem. Anyone know how to fix this? TIA

    >> That's not referring to your video card, it's because you have
    >> removable drives or ports for removable devices. This includes, but
    >> is not limited to, USB, SD, miniSD, microSD, CompactFlash, MMC,
    >> Memory Stick, etc...

    > I wish that were true - it specifically says "NVIDIA Geforce 8600GT".
    > When I went to disconnect a USB stick, I did a "global" disconnect so
    > not only did the USB stick drivers unload but the graphic drivers
    > unloaded too. It's really annoying.
    >
    > BTW using Vista 32-bit

    lol, sorry. I thought for sure you were talking about the standard
    'safely remove' icon. I've never seen or heard about a graphics card
    showing up there.
    KCB, Jun 12, 2009