Re: Semi-random reboot problem with IC7 (device driver problem?)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by klink, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. klink

    klink Guest

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:57:40 GMT, (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:01:15 GMT, klink <> wrote:
    >
    >>Here is my setup:
    >>
    >>Antec 350w PSU (in Antec case)
    >>Abit IC7 (flashed to latest BIOS update, 16)
    >>Pentium 4 2.4C CPU
    >>512mb Corsair TwinX PC3200LLPT RAM

    >PC3200LL memory is not stable with 875 or 865 chip-sets
    >at default SPD. Nothing to do with Abit.
    >See Anandtech and other articles on these chipsets/memory
    >combos. Playing with Vdimm or directly with memory timing
    >may alleviate the problem.

    I changed RAS to CAS to 3 and the voltage to 2.8 and the system still
    reboots randomly. I think I'm just going to RMA the board and look for
    a different brand- maybe Gigabyte or Soyo . This sucker is just too
    "cutting edge" for me.

    klink

    klink, Aug 22, 2003

  2. klink

    Tim Guest

    Klink,

    I suggest you don't leap to conclusions.

    *If* your problem is to do with memory:

    If you switch to another brand with a canterwood you may find a similar or
    worse set of problems unless your supplier has already gone to the effort of
    finding a bios / memory / mobo combination that is stable.

    Things are looking a lot better now though...

    In the last few days there have been a lot of new bios release for various
    manufacturers and mobos and a lot of these memory issues are now getting
    cleared up.

    I suggest you use memtest86 for quite some time to verify if your memory is
    a problem - any errors generally indicate a problem - the problem is not
    always with the memory though it is common with low latency memory
    configured as such. Read the info on the web site for further info.

    If your floppy drive is giving your jip and you are not in need of it at the
    moment then pull the cable out of the mobo (not the other end). Deal to all
    problems and fix each one in turn starting with basic stability. Check your
    drivers, sound and all other peripherals and for each problem encountered
    sort it out.

    Since you have LL memory, a little reading as suggested by John may be of
    benefit. LL + Canterwood = problem.

    FYI: I started with an abit canterwoord board (IC7G) and had my share of
    memory issues. I RMA'd the board not because of these, but because the GBit
    LAN was stuffed. The replacement I chose was a gigabyte with a worse set of
    memory issues - these were minimal compared to the nightmare some people
    have had - even in non OC configs.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Kink,
    If you do not already, try running ram that is paired for dual channel
    operation in DIMM slots 1&3 or 2&4.

    Also try unchecking "Automatically restart" in the System
    Properties-Startup and Recovery tab if you are running Windows Xp!

    Edward Lee Ah Yen, Aug 23, 2003