Re: Should I go Dual Core or Quad Core? Intel C2 DUO E6850 vs. Quad-Core Q6600

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Patrick Vervoorn, Jan 3, 2008.

  1. In article <>,
    Matt <> wrote:
    >Hey guys. I'm looking at upgrading my PC and I've come across an
    >interesting problem:
    >
    >- Pay £165 for a Intel Dual Core E6850 (clocked @ 3.0GHz)
    >
    >- Pay £160 for a Quad Core Q6600 (clocked @ 2.4GHz)
    >
    >Now to my untrained eye, the quad-core seems like an easy choice. Am I
    >correct, or is the performance benefit from the 2 additional cores
    >completely lost by the low bandwidth connection between the 2 dies, as
    >mentioned in a Wikipedia article below:
    >
    >"A quad-core CPU (as a two-die set in particular), however, can rarely
    >double the processing ability of each of its constituent halves (e.g.
    >the Kentsfield rarely doubles the ability of the Conroe), due to a
    >loss
    >of performance resulting from connecting them (i.e. sharing the narrow
    >memory bandwidth, and operating system overhead of handling twice as
    >many cores and threads)."
    >
    >Will all applications for Windows eventually become multi-threaded and
    >fully utilise a quad core setup? Because if so then surely the 2.4GHz
    >quad core would outperform the 3.0GHz dual core in the future?
    >
    >Basically this comes down to dual core vs. quad core, and I'm hoping
    >there's a clear consensus about which to buy!

    I had the same decision to make, and I went with the Q6600. At the very
    least Crysis detects and uses the 4 cores. SetiBOINC also runs very nicely
    using 4 cores.

    Regards, Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn, Jan 3, 2008

  2. Patrick Vervoorn

    Gypsy Baron Guest

    Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
    -SNIP-
    > I had the same decision to make, and I went with the Q6600. At the very
    > least Crysis detects and uses the 4 cores. SetiBOINC also runs very nicely
    > using 4 cores.
    >
    > Regards, Patrick.

    I have a Q6600 G0 stepping and it easily overclocks to >3,0 GHZ.
    Mine is set at 3.25GHZ now and is limited by my memory\FSB frequency
    I believe. At 3.25 Ghz it is stable and temperatures never get
    anywhere near the upper limits.

    Paul

    Gypsy Baron, Jan 3, 2008