Re: SoYo BIOS / CMOS

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Paul, Apr 26, 2008.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I am looking for the BIOS / CMOS chips
    > for the [SoYo] SY-P4I 845PE V1.0 motherboard
    >
    > yes -- the old chips are fryed :-(
    > (and I like this motherboard and the BIOS it came with :)
    >
    > PLEASE HELP!!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > Francis N Godfrey

    http://www.soyousa.com/content/Downloads/155/&c=27&p=151&l=English

    There are two BIOS files. The ".bin" file is 262,144 bytes, which
    means it is exactly the size of a 256KB BIOS chip. The ".exe"
    file is a ZIP self-extractor, containing a 256KB .bin file and
    an Award flasher program.

    You can contact badflash.com and give them the details. For
    about $30 or so, they can furnish a new BIOS chip, with either
    the 845p2aa2.bin or 845p2aa1.bin BIOS image. You send them a
    pointer to the file, but you also have to tell them what kind of
    chip you want. It is best, if the chip type exactly matches, because
    the BIOS flashing programs will only work with the correct chip
    types in usage.

    (Motherboard manual)
    http://www.soyousa.com/uploads/downloads/manuals/p4/mp4i845pe10.pdf

    The chip in the upper left of this picture, could be the BIOS chip.
    It must be socketed, to be easily replaced. If the chip is not in a
    socket, then buying a new chip and installing it, would require
    soldering skills. So your first task, is to verify the chip in
    the upper left corner of this picture is in a socket. Then,
    record the details written on the top of the chip. It could be,
    for example, an SST brand chip of 256KB size. When you put the
    new chip in, it has to have exactly the same orientation as the
    old chip.

    http://www.motherboards.org/images/mobot/motherboards/5789.jpg

    The "dot" on the chip, should align with a "triangle" symbol on
    the socket. That aligns pin 1 to pin 1. The chip in this picture
    is a 32-PLCC.

    http://www.qsisolutions.com/image/product/q-upgradechip-0511.jpg

    You can purchase a PLCC extraction tool, and this is the proper
    tool for extracting a chip without damage. Or, you can use a pointed
    tool, as shown in the previous picture, being careful to alternate
    between diagonal corners when easing the chip out. In this picture,
    you can see the two hooked legs of a PLCC extractor. The hooks fit
    underneath the corners of the chip, and help you pull it
    upwards.

    http://www.qsisolutions.com/image/product/q-uchip-mikado-2.jpg

    Good luck,
    Paul