Re: SP3 breaks handwriting recognition in Office 2003

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by krwebb, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. krwebb

    krwebb Guest

    I am having the same problem and wondered if there are any updates on this
    issue. It seems to me that It would be no problem at all for Microsoft to
    provide a downloadable file for this fix. Thanks for any assistance. Karla

    krwebb, Jan 27, 2009

  2. Does anyone have any updates on this problem???? This is really the only
    place I've been able to find any reference to it.
    I have XP Professional on a Dell Precision M90. I have a Wacom tablet that I
    use mostly for taking notes & sketching while talking to clients on the
    phone. Right now I'm using paintbrush, which gets the job done, but badly.

    I have the handwriting stuff installed properly according to all the help
    files I've been able to find. However, when I click on the Writing Pad or
    Write Anywhere icons, absolutely NOTHING happens. Likewise for the Drawing
    Pad.

    When I go in to the Control Panel -> Regional & Language Settings ->
    Languages -> Details, I can see all fo the handwriting recognition stuff
    shown there Drawing Pad, Write Anywhere, Writing Pad and the two on-screen
    keyboards. The on-screen keyboards are the only ones that will give me a
    Properties window when I click the Properties button. For the other three,
    again, NOTHING happens.

    The on-screen keyboards do work, but I really don't need them.

    A few questions:
    if using an older version of penusa.dll works, where is a safe place to get
    a copy? I found hundreds of sites willing to let me download it, but with a
    multitude of versions... Which one do I need?
    Secondly, once I get a working .dll, what is the procedure for getting
    Windows to let go of it long enough for me to replace the existing one?
    Thirdly, has anybody used any other good handwriting recognition software?
    Freeware would be great, but I'd be willing to pay for a decent program. The
    best I've found so far is ritePen by EverNote. It's pretty good, but not
    quite what I am looking for.
    Fourthly, when will Microsoft offer a REAL fix for this?

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    tim_the_engineer, Apr 23, 2009

  3. krwebb

    krwebb Guest

    Tim,

    This is my fix to the problem, as I posted at
    http://www.allgraphicdesign.com/gra...drawing-tablet-and-how-to-set-up-your-cintiq/

    The Writing Pad functionality DOES exist, through Office 2003. However, the
    SP3 update breaks it.

    In order to get the functionality, I had to uninstall Office, then reinstall
    it from my original discs. I then backed up the original file that gets
    broken in the updates \program files\common files\microsoft
    shared\INK\penusa.dll

    Then I installed the updates to Office. Once done, I had to restart my
    computer in safe mode and copy the original copy of penusa.dll to the above
    directory.

    Wacom sent me an instructions on how to activate the writing pad
    functionality:

    Open the Control Panel and click on the “Add or Remove Programs†icon.

    Select “Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003â€; then click the “Changeâ€
    button.

    Select the “Add or Remove Features†option; then click the “Next†button.

    Select the “Choose advanced customization of applications†box. Then click
    “Nextâ€.

    In the drop down list under the ‘Microsoft Office’ icon double-click “Office
    Shared Featuresâ€.

    From the drop down list under the “Alternative User Input†icon, click
    “Handwriting†and then “Run
    from My Computerâ€. Click “Updateâ€; then “OKâ€.

    Open the Control Panel again, Double click “Regional and Language Optionsâ€,
    Select the “Languages†Tab and then double click the “Details†button.

    In the ‘Preferences’ section click the “Languages Bar†button, then select
    box (1) “Show the Language Bar on the desktop†and box (3) “Show additional
    Language bar icons in the task barâ€. Click the “OK†button.

    Now click the “Advanced†tab and tick the box in the ‘Compatibility
    Configuration’ section which is labeled – “Extend support of advanced text
    services to all programsâ€. Click the “Apply†button.

    Finally Restart your Computer. Handwriting is now activated and a menu bar
    should appear on your desktop and/or in the menu task bar. (Look in the top
    center of the screen.)

    Open an Office program, such as word. Try using your pen to write something.
    If it doesn't work, select Writing Pad from the tool bar. Note -- If you want
    the image of what you write to be placed in the document, click on the inkpot
    button. Otherwise what you write will be converted to text and inserted into
    the document.

    I hope this helps others and saves them the day of research it took me to
    fix the problem!

    To answer your 4th question, probably not as Xp is going the way of the dodo
    bird.

    I ended up upgrading my system (it was having mucho problems) and converting
    over to Vista 64-bit. I am happy with the upgrade.

    Hope this helps,
    Karla

    krwebb, Apr 23, 2009
  4. krwebb

    Ed Guest

    Hi,

    If you still looking for proper version of PENUSA.DLL then you may upload it
    from following link www.acesoft.com.au/links.html

    --
    Ed (MCP)

    Ed, Dec 18, 2009
  5. krwebb

    jen-on-tech Guest

    Just wanted to say thanks for the file and instructions.

    I am running Windows XP Home with SP3 and I have managed to get hw recog
    working.

    Cheers
    --
    jen