Re: spotlight content indexing

Discussion in 'Apple' started by matt neuburg, Jun 3, 2006.

  1. matt neuburg

    matt neuburg Guest

    sawney beane <> wrote:

    > In the past I've *thought* Spotlight failed to find some documents when
    > I searched by content. Yesterday I used Spotlight to search a certain
    > folder by content and found that the folder's content had apparently not
    > been included in Spotlight's index.
    >
    > How can I make Spotlight index the content of a folder?

    man mdimport

    m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = , http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    Tiger - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/tiger-customizing.html

    matt neuburg, Jun 3, 2006

  2. matt neuburg

    sawney beane Guest

    matt neuburg wrote:
    > sawney beane <> wrote:
    >
    >> In the past I've *thought* Spotlight failed to find some documents when
    >> I searched by content. Yesterday I used Spotlight to search a certain
    >> folder by content and found that the folder's content had apparently not
    >> been included in Spotlight's index.
    >>
    >> How can I make Spotlight index the content of a folder?

    > man mdimport
    >
    > m.

    Thanks. Should I type that into the console?

    Why wouldn't that folder already be indexed?

    I created that folder a few weeks ago as a copy of a folder of ducuments
    in MS Word 5. In this folder I opened and saved each document as a
    ClarisWorks 5 document so I could open it with AppleWorks 6. Spotlight
    has indexed other ClarisWorks 5 documents.

    In that connections, Spotlights shows four mdimporters:
    AppleWorks.mdimporter
    Keynote.mdimporter
    Microsoft Office.mdimporter
    Pages.mdimporter

    Is that all I should have?

    sawney beane, Jun 3, 2006

  3. matt neuburg

    matt neuburg Guest

    sawney beane <> wrote:

    > matt neuburg wrote:
    > > sawney beane <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In the past I've *thought* Spotlight failed to find some documents when
    > >> I searched by content. Yesterday I used Spotlight to search a certain
    > >> folder by content and found that the folder's content had apparently not
    > >> been included in Spotlight's index.
    > >>
    > >> How can I make Spotlight index the content of a folder?

    > > man mdimport
    > >
    > > m.
    > >

    > Thanks. Should I type that into the console?

    The Terminal. It will teach you about forcing a folder to be indexed.

    > Why wouldn't that folder already be indexed?

    Some areas are protected from indexing, by default. You can protect
    others from indexing by your settings in System Preferences. And
    sometimes things do just break down.

    By the way, also "man mdls". You can use "mdls" to find out what
    Spotlight knows about a given file.

    > I created that folder a few weeks ago as a copy of a folder of ducuments
    > in MS Word 5. In this folder I opened and saved each document as a
    > ClarisWorks 5 document so I could open it with AppleWorks 6. Spotlight
    > has indexed other ClarisWorks 5 documents.
    >
    > In that connections, Spotlights shows four mdimporters:
    > AppleWorks.mdimporter
    > Keynote.mdimporter
    > Microsoft Office.mdimporter
    > Pages.mdimporter

    Yes. And don't worry too much about this, since there can be other
    importers that you don't see in that folder.

    What I'd do in your case is separate two issues: (1) are the files being
    seen by Spotlight at all, and (2) is their content being indexed. To
    find out the former, do a name search for the name of one of the files
    in that folder. If Spotlight doesn't know about the file at all, that's
    why the content isn't being indexed. On the other hand, if it does know
    about the file but the content still isn't being indexed, that suggests
    that Spotlight doesn't know how to read that type of file (i.e. it
    hasn't an importer).

    You can use my free NotLight program as a way of controlling easily
    precisely what you ask Spotlight. For example, with NotLight two issues
    distinguished above are easily kept distinct, since you are in clear
    charge of what kind of search you're doing. m.

    matt neuburg, Jun 3, 2006
  4. matt neuburg

    sawney beane Guest

    matt neuburg wrote:
    > sawney beane <> wrote:
    >
    >> matt neuburg wrote:

    >>> man mdimport
    >>>
    >>> m.
    >>>

    >> Thanks. Should I type that into the console?

    > The Terminal. It will teach you about forcing a folder to be indexed.

    Found it. I'm not sure how to use the information. Will it index if I
    simply type mdimport?

    >> Why wouldn't that folder already be indexed?

    > Some areas are protected from indexing, by default. You can protect
    > others from indexing by your settings in System Preferences. And
    > sometimes things do just break down.
    >
    > By the way, also "man mdls". You can use "mdls" to find out what
    > Spotlight knows about a given file.
    >
    >> I created that folder a few weeks ago as a copy of a folder of ducuments
    >> in MS Word 5. In this folder I opened and saved each document as a
    >> ClarisWorks 5 document so I could open it with AppleWorks 6. Spotlight
    >> has indexed other ClarisWorks 5 documents.
    >>

    > What I'd do in your case is separate two issues: (1) are the files being
    > seen by Spotlight at all, and (2) is their content being indexed. To
    > find out the former, do a name search for the name of one of the files
    > in that folder. If Spotlight doesn't know about the file at all, that's
    > why the content isn't being indexed. On the other hand, if it does know
    > about the file but the content still isn't being indexed, that suggests
    > that Spotlight doesn't know how to read that type of file (i.e. it
    > hasn't an importer).
    >
    > You can use my free NotLight program as a way of controlling easily
    > precisely what you ask Spotlight. For example, with NotLight two issues
    > distinguished above are easily kept distinct, since you are in clear
    > charge of what kind of search you're doing. m.

    It seems to see all file names. It seems to see the content of Word 5
    files saved in 1991, but not my Word 5 files saved from 1992 to 2005. I
    thought it had the content of my ClarisWorks files, but now it's not
    finding it.

    sawney beane, Jun 4, 2006
  5. matt neuburg

    matt neuburg Guest

    sawney beane <> wrote:

    > matt neuburg wrote:
    > > sawney beane <> wrote:

    > >> Thanks. Should I type that into the console?

    > > The Terminal. It will teach you about forcing a folder to be indexed.

    > Found it. I'm not sure how to use the information. Will it index if I
    > simply type mdimport?
    >

    > >> Why wouldn't that folder already be indexed?

    > > Some areas are protected from indexing, by default. You can protect
    > > others from indexing by your settings in System Preferences. And
    > > sometimes things do just break down.
    > >
    > > By the way, also "man mdls". You can use "mdls" to find out what
    > > Spotlight knows about a given file.
    > >
    > >> I created that folder a few weeks ago as a copy of a folder of ducuments
    > >> in MS Word 5. In this folder I opened and saved each document as a
    > >> ClarisWorks 5 document so I could open it with AppleWorks 6. Spotlight
    > >> has indexed other ClarisWorks 5 documents.
    > >>

    > > What I'd do in your case is separate two issues: (1) are the files being
    > > seen by Spotlight at all, and (2) is their content being indexed. To
    > > find out the former, do a name search for the name of one of the files
    > > in that folder. If Spotlight doesn't know about the file at all, that's
    > > why the content isn't being indexed. On the other hand, if it does know
    > > about the file but the content still isn't being indexed, that suggests
    > > that Spotlight doesn't know how to read that type of file (i.e. it
    > > hasn't an importer).
    > >
    > > You can use my free NotLight program as a way of controlling easily
    > > precisely what you ask Spotlight. For example, with NotLight two issues
    > > distinguished above are easily kept distinct, since you are in clear
    > > charge of what kind of search you're doing. m.
    > >

    > It seems to see all file names. It seems to see the content of Word 5
    > files saved in 1991, but not my Word 5 files saved from 1992 to 2005. I
    > thought it had the content of my ClarisWorks files, but now it's not
    > finding it.

    Then there is no more to do. Spotlight is behaving as expected; it sees
    the files and can't index their content because it doesn't know how to
    read a ClarisWorks 5 file (not surprising). m.

    matt neuburg, Jun 4, 2006
  6. matt neuburg

    sawney beane Guest

    matt neuburg wrote:
    > sawney beane <> wrote:
    >>
    >> It seems to see all file names. It seems to see the content of Word 5
    >> files saved in 1991, but not my Word 5 files saved from 1992 to 2005. I
    >> thought it had the content of my ClarisWorks files, but now it's not
    >> finding it.

    > Then there is no more to do. Spotlight is behaving as expected; it sees
    > the files and can't index their content because it doesn't know how to
    > read a ClarisWorks 5 file (not surprising). m.

    Maybe the files saved in 1991 are from a version of Word before 5. How
    can I search the content of my Word 5 and ClarisWorks 5 WP files?

    sawney beane, Jun 4, 2006
  7. matt neuburg

    matt neuburg Guest

    Jim <> wrote:

    > In article <1hgehir.1rzxe6z1956bomN%>,
    > (matt neuburg) wrote:
    >
    > > Then there is no more to do. Spotlight is behaving as expected; it sees
    > > the files and can't index their content because it doesn't know how to
    > > read a ClarisWorks 5 file (not surprising). m.

    > Anyone know... should Spotlight index content of .textClipping files?

    Offhand, I believe not. m.

    matt neuburg, Jun 5, 2006