Re: Still can't boot from old drive with new SATA drive installed.

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Terry, Aug 30, 2007.

  1. Terry

    Terry Guest

    Google won't allow me to change the topic.
    I wanted to change the topic to ask the pros.
    I am sure most of you also frequent the other group but here goes.

    Terry, Aug 30, 2007

  2. Terry

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:32:42 -0700, Terry wrote:

    >> I have a KT7A Raid mobo. I am not using the existing IDE Raid
    >> connectors. I have 3 IDE drives installed and I boot from one of
    >> them. I am not planning to use any of the drives for RAID.

    So you've disabled the onboard raid controller in the bios? FYI, you can
    use it for more drives without setting up raid. And you've disabled Boot
    from other devices in the bios? And I assme you've set the boot drive to
    HDD-0? Don't tell me you bought the sata controller because you thought
    you couldn't use the raid controller as a regular drive controller? It
    still might be useful to move 2 of your 3 ata drives to the onboard raid
    controller so each drive will have its own IDE channel.

    >> I just put in a SATA card and when I do the boot hangs. The new drive
    >> was formatted with XP, but I don't plan to use the drive for booting.

    Don't know how XP handles it. I don't do windows.

    >> At boot time I get a message that the card is installed and it lists
    >> the drive, but then it hangs. It says press F4 for RAID options.
    >> Pressing F4 does nothing. I can unplug the drive and it will boot with
    >> the card. I get the feeling that it might be trying to read some of
    >> the boot information from the new drive.

    That message is coming from the controller card.

    >> When I look at the bios I can see all the IDE drives, but the new SATA
    >> drive is not listed. My hard drive boot options are hd0-3 and I am
    >> currently booting from hd0.

    The sata drives aren't listed in the bios because there's no support in
    the MB bios for sata. That's in the sata controller bios.

    >> Can putting the new drive be changing the drive letters even if it is
    >> not being reported in the bios? How can I tell?

    I know windows used to cahnge drive letters on its own in previous win
    versions. I don't know what XP does. But if XP does the same as previous
    versions (95, 98) it will change drive letters. How it changes them
    depends on where you install it and if it's set to active (bootable). You
    should be given an option to go into the sata controller bios and
    configure the drive(s) you have installed on it at boot time. Don't know
    why its hanging after asking you to hit F4. Are you sure the controller is
    PCI compatable with the PCI version on the KT7A?

    That's all I can think of. You're on your own now unless someone else
    chimes in.

    Wes Newell, Aug 31, 2007

  3. Terry

    Terry Guest

    On Aug 31, 2:05 am, Wes Newell <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:32:42 -0700, Terry wrote:
    > >> I have a KT7A Raid mobo. I am not using the existing IDE Raid
    > >> connectors. I have 3 IDE drives installed and I boot from one of
    > >> them. I am not planning to use any of the drives for RAID.

    > So you've disabled the onboard raid controller in the bios? FYI, you can
    > use it for more drives without setting up raid. And you've disabled Boot
    > from other devices in the bios? And I assme you've set the boot drive to

    Yes to all three of these. Because there is no "disable" command in
    the bios for boot order I have 1st snd and 3rd boot device all set to
    HD0. This setting works fine without the new drive plugged in.

    > HDD-0? Don't tell me you bought the sata controller because you thought
    > you couldn't use the raid controller as a regular drive controller? It

    The reason I bought the SATA controller was because I intended to
    order 2 new IDE drives, but ordered SATA by mistake. This was back
    when they first came out. The card worked fine then. Although, I was
    not using the RAID setup, I did have two drives plugged into the
    card. I would think the card would be able to control one drive
    only. Of course, I could be wrong. I usually am. I am also not sure
    if I was using the SATA card in this KT7A RAID machine.

    > still might be useful to move 2 of your 3 ata drives to the onboard raid
    > controller so each drive will have its own IDE channel.

    I am not really out for performance anymore. I am just trying to keep
    these dinosaurs working. The current 3 drives are IDE. I am trying
    to add 1 SATA to the mix. The Kt7 has IDE RAID connectors. Do you
    think using the onboard RAID controller would increase my chances of
    booting with the new SATA drive installed?

    > >> I just put in a SATA card and when I do the boot hangs. The new drive
    > >> was formatted with XP, but I don't plan to use the drive for booting.

    > Don't know how XP handles it. I don't do windows.

    I think the hang is coming from the SATA card instead of Windoze. No
    clue though, really.

    > >> At boot time I get a message that the card is installed and it lists
    > >> the drive, but then it hangs. It says press F4 for RAID options.
    > >> Pressing F4 does nothing. I can unplug the drive and it will boot with
    > >> the card. I get the feeling that it might be trying to read some of
    > >> the boot information from the new drive.

    > That message is coming from the controller card.
    >
    > >> When I look at the bios I can see all the IDE drives, but the new SATA
    > >> drive is not listed. My hard drive boot options are hd0-3 and I am
    > >> currently booting from hd0.

    > The sata drives aren't listed in the bios because there's no support in
    > the MB bios for sata. That's in the sata controller bios.
    >
    > >> Can putting the new drive be changing the drive letters even if it is
    > >> not being reported in the bios? How can I tell?

    > I know windows used to cahnge drive letters on its own in previous win
    > versions. I don't know what XP does. But if XP does the same as previous
    > versions (95, 98) it will change drive letters. How it changes them
    > depends on where you install it and if it's set to active (bootable). You
    > should be given an option to go into the sata controller bios and
    > configure the drive(s) you have installed on it at boot time. Don't know
    > why its hanging after asking you to hit F4. Are you sure the controller is
    > PCI compatable with the PCI version on the KT7A?
    >
    > That's all I can think of. You're on your own now unless someone else
    > chimes in.

    Thanks for your time
    Terry, Aug 31, 2007