Re: Sudden Power Off

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by ~misfit~, Mar 14, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "John Whitworth" typed:

    Sorry, I am unable to offer much advice with the data set given. However:

    > I hear a quiet noise which sounds like a capacitor discharging.

    I would love to know what a capacitor discharging sounds like.

    Rgds,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Mar 14, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Phil Weldon Guest

    '~misfit~' wrote:
    > I would love to know what a capacitor discharging sounds like.

    _____

    It's a high-pitched whimper of despair.

    The original poster may be thinking of the sound that can be made by the
    fly-back high voltage
    circuit 15 KHz frequency Dopplering down as the horizontal drive dies when a
    large CRT device is shut off.

    That sound plus the bit of information the original poster added in his
    second post (just installed a 8800 GTX) is a good indication that the power
    supply is whimpering as it shuts down due to overload (probably from over
    heating.)

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Mar 14, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'John Whitworth' wrote:
    > When I've used calculators to work out how much power is really required,
    > it always falls way short of my 580W though.
    > http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. I guess it is
    > looking like the PSU is the culprit though, so a replacement is on the
    > cards.

    After connectors, connections, and fans I think PC power supplies are the
    most likely hardware failure points.

    I my experience, the failure point rankings have been more or less the same
    for the last 40 years or so
    1. operator error
    2. application program error
    3. operating system error
    4. connectors and connections and fans
    5. power supply
    6. hard drives
    6b. (new entry) graphics adapters
    7. motherboard/pc boards/modules
    8. CPU
    9. memory

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Mar 14, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Phil Weldon" typed:
    > '~misfit~' wrote:
    >> I would love to know what a capacitor discharging sounds like.

    > _____
    >
    > It's a high-pitched whimper of despair.

    Heh! I should have guessed. <g>

    > The original poster may be thinking of the sound that can be made by
    > the fly-back high voltage
    > circuit 15 KHz frequency Dopplering down as the horizontal drive dies
    > when a large CRT device is shut off.
    >
    > That sound plus the bit of information the original poster added in
    > his second post (just installed a 8800 GTX) is a good indication that
    > the power supply is whimpering as it shuts down due to overload
    > (probably from over heating.)

    Good sluething there Phil. With both bits of info on hand I concur.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 15, 2008