Re: Sun Fire V20z Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Bruce Esquibel, Aug 13, 2008.

  1. Josh McKee <> wrote:
    > I have a Sun Fire V20z server that is incredibly noisy due to all six
    > fans running at full speed (15K RPM). Is there a way to control these
    > fans to a more reasonable speed? It looks as if there may be two models
    > of this system: one where the speed is not adjustable and a later
    > revision where the speed is adjustable.

    How are you determining they are all running full speed?

    Logged into the SP, do a "sensor get"

    All of the ones I just did a spot check on now are:

    fan1.tach 9840.00 RPM
    fan2.tach 9780.00 RPM
    fan3.tach 10320.00 RPM
    fan4.tach 10080.00 RPM
    fan5.tach 9540.00 RPM
    fan6.tach 10200.00 RPM

    give or take a few hundred rpm. I was under the impression that they were
    10K rpm fans anyway. I know when you first power them up, they do run faster
    (it's louder) then back off a little, but it is just a little.

    They are just noisy machines, made to go in a datacenter. Think I saw you
    can put 50 or so in a rack, can't imagine what that sounds like.

    Being they are just 1" fans to begin with, they probably have to run near
    top speed just to move any air at all.

    -bruce
    Bruce Esquibel, Aug 13, 2008