Re: Sun v40z + 64bit Windows

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by John D Groenveld, Feb 5, 2010.

  1. [follow-up's set to comp.sys.sun.hardware]
    In article <>,
    Jack Dao <> wrote:
    >It doesn't seem to be supported form Sun, but will any 64bit versions
    >of Windows run on this machine?
    >Like Windows 2003 64bit, or WIndows 2008 64bit?

    I asked the Google Oracle for the "Microsoft HCL" and I found
    your answer here:
    <URL:http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/marketplace/item.aspx?idItem=4f12b0f3-7a9b-cfd1-273e-5974ec77dce7>

    I would make certain you're running the latest BIOS and
    SP firmware:
    <URL:http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/downloads.jsp>

    Good luck,
    John

    John D Groenveld, Feb 5, 2010

  2. John D Groenveld

    Jack Dao Guest

    On Feb 5, 10:49 am, (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    > [follow-up's set to comp.sys.sun.hardware]
    > In article <..com>,
    > Jack Dao  <> wrote:
    >
    > >It doesn't seem to be supported form Sun, but will any 64bit versions
    > >of Windows run on this machine?
    > >Like Windows 2003 64bit, or WIndows 2008 64bit?

    > I asked the Google Oracle for the "Microsoft HCL" and I found
    > your answer here:
    > <URL:http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/marketplace/item.aspx?idItem=4f12...>
    >
    > I would make certain you're running the latest BIOS and
    > SP firmware:
    > <URL:http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/downloads.jsp>
    >
    > Good luck,
    > John

    Thanks for this. I didn't think to use Microsoft's site.

    Windows Server 2003 seems to be supported according to MS.

    I wonder though about Windows Server 2008. I plan on using this
    machine as a dual boot between Solaris and some version of 64 bit
    Windows. Anyone have Windows Server 2008 up and running on this beast?

    Jack

    Jack Dao, Feb 5, 2010

  3. John D Groenveld

    Jack Dao Guest

    On Feb 5, 10:49 am, (John D Groenveld) wrote:
    > [follow-up's set to comp.sys.sun.hardware]
    > In article <..com>,
    > Jack Dao  <> wrote:
    >
    > >It doesn't seem to be supported form Sun, but will any 64bit versions
    > >of Windows run on this machine?
    > >Like Windows 2003 64bit, or WIndows 2008 64bit?

    > I asked the Google Oracle for the "Microsoft HCL" and I found
    > your answer here:
    > <URL:http://www.windowsservercatalog.com/marketplace/item.aspx?idItem=4f12...>
    >
    > I would make certain you're running the latest BIOS and
    > SP firmware:
    > <URL:http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v20z/downloads.jsp>
    >
    > Good luck,
    > John

    Thanks, I didn't think of checking the microsoft web site for
    compatibility info. But I'm wondering if Microsoft Server 2008 would
    work on this machine. Anyone have that OS up and running on this
    beast?

    Jack

    Jack Dao, Feb 5, 2010
  4. John D Groenveld

    d31373

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise works beautifly. The only downside at the moment seems to be the Service Processor does not have proper drivers. Thus the fans scream at 10k all the time, and the SP says that the OS is still booting. Runs great with 2GB of ram.

    d31373, Mar 12, 2010
  5. John D Groenveld

    Alienkidmj12

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    How did you get the blade 3d graphics driver installed in 2008. I have issues doing this, it won't accept it

    My server is also v40z with 16gb ram, I just obtained it quite cheap

    Do you know of a good benchmark program also ?

    , thanks Dave

    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    Alienkidmj12, Oct 10, 2010
  6. John D Groenveld

    John12345

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Hi All,

    I have v20z machines, I am wondering whether you have solved the problem with the Blade 3d Graphics drivers for the windows server 2008 (64-bit or 32-bit) - preferably 32-bit.

    Thank you

    John

    John12345, Mar 15, 2013