Re: Sunfire V880 Query

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Cydrome Leader, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. Austin Pass <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've recently acquired a Sunfire V880 that doesn't want to play ball.
    >
    > The system powers up with a flashing "Service" LED on the front of the
    > unit. There are no keys supplied, but the front lock is set to the
    > "diagnostic" position.
    >
    > There is what appears to be a VGA framebuffer in the bottom PCI slot -
    > it has a VGA and PS2-like port on it.

    Tear that piece of junk out and use the serial console. Now you have less
    variables to worry about.

    booting the machine in diag mode will be shockingly slow, but that's good
    for testing out a machine.
    Cydrome Leader, Dec 1, 2008

  2. Austin Pass <> wrote:
    > On 2008-12-01 19:07:40 +0000, Cydrome Leader <> said:
    >
    >> Tear that piece of junk out and use the serial console. Now you have less
    >> variables to worry about.
    >>
    >> booting the machine in diag mode will be shockingly slow, but that's good
    >> for testing out a machine.

    > I've dug out my USB --> Serial adapter and some likely looking DB-25
    > serial cables which I can try as a backup.
    >
    > The system didn't have any disks (and hence no OS) so I'll be starting
    > from scratch in that department too.
    >
    > As an aside, which version of Solaris would you consider the best fit
    > on this hardware?

    A V880 can run Solaris 10. Best to start with at least 1Gb of memory.

    --
    Voltaire: Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities
    Nomen Publicus, Dec 1, 2008

  3. Austin Pass <> wrote:
    > On 2008-12-01 19:07:40 +0000, Cydrome Leader <> said:
    >
    >> Tear that piece of junk out and use the serial console. Now you have less
    >> variables to worry about.
    >>
    >> booting the machine in diag mode will be shockingly slow, but that's good
    >> for testing out a machine.

    > You were bang-on regarding the framebuffer - I got nowhere.
    >
    > It took me a while to get anywhere with the serial console, too.
    > Initially I was attempting to use the DB-25 serial port but just got a
    > lot of rapidly repeating "xxxxxxxxxxxx" symbols in my console.
    >
    > Subsequently I discovered an RJ-45 serial port and to my delight a
    > Cisco RJ-45 to DB9 cable worked first time.
    >
    > The prompt displays "Please login:" andI can get no further. I've
    > downloaded a copy of the V880 Owners guide and I'm about to plough
    > through it, but if anyone can offer advice to quickly get me a few
    > steps further I'd really appreciate it.
    >
    > -Austin.

    I'm not sure what OBP versions you have, but this may help

    http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5144293

    If any of the steps look stupid or it surprises you how hard it is to
    reset passwords on sun hardware, join the club. I've had sun replace
    system boards in addition to the serial controller card to get a machine
    able to be logged into again.
    Cydrome Leader, Dec 12, 2008
  4. Hi,

    Austin Pass wrote:
    > On 2008-12-01 19:07:40 +0000, Cydrome Leader <>
    > said:
    >
    >> Tear that piece of junk out and use the serial console. Now you have less
    >> variables to worry about.
    >>
    >> booting the machine in diag mode will be shockingly slow, but that's good
    >> for testing out a machine.

    > I've dug out my USB --> Serial adapter and some likely looking DB-25
    > serial cables which I can try as a backup.
    >
    > The system didn't have any disks (and hence no OS) so I'll be starting
    > from scratch in that department too.
    >
    > As an aside, which version of Solaris would you consider the best fit on
    > this hardware?
    >
    > -Austin.

    Below is the latest Solaris on opensorce format.

    http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

    /michael
    Michael Laajanen, Jan 3, 2009
  5. * Michael Laajanen:

    > Below is the latest Solaris on opensorce format.
    >
    > http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

    I doubt OpenSolaris which is only available for x86 at the moment will
    be a great help for a V880.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jan 11, 2009
  6. Cydrome Leader

    Marc Guest

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > * Michael Laajanen:
    >
    >> Below is the latest Solaris on opensorce format.
    >>
    >> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

    > I doubt OpenSolaris which is only available for x86 at the moment will
    > be a great help for a V880.

    The page mentionned above contains links to several distributions,
    including SXCE, which IS available on sparc and should have all the new
    stuff. I don't know if it is a good idea for the OP to use it, but it is
    at least a way to see if there were improvements since the version of
    solaris he is using.
    Marc, Jan 11, 2009
  7. Hi,

    Marc wrote:
    > Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    >
    >> * Michael Laajanen:
    >>
    >>> Below is the latest Solaris on opensorce format.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

    >> I doubt OpenSolaris which is only available for x86 at the moment will
    >> be a great help for a V880.

    > The page mentionned above contains links to several distributions,
    > including SXCE, which IS available on sparc and should have all the new
    > stuff. I don't know if it is a good idea for the OP to use it, but it is
    > at least a way to see if there were improvements since the version of
    > solaris he is using.

    yes, sorry SXCE is for V880, I myself still find SXCE easier to install
    and use compared to Opensolaris.

    I find Opensolaris to "bare" needing to install alot stuff which is easy
    but abit tricky if one need to do it on more than one machine IMHO.

    I whish there was a "SXCE" install switch in opensolaris that would
    install a simular system as a standard Solaris install.

    /michael
    Michael Laajanen, Jan 11, 2009
  8. * Marc:

    >>> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

    >> I doubt OpenSolaris which is only available for x86 at the moment will
    >> be a great help for a V880.

    > The page mentionned above contains links to several distributions,
    > including SXCE, which IS available on sparc and should have all the new
    > stuff. I don't know if it is a good idea for the OP to use it, but it is
    > at least a way to see if there were improvements since the version of
    > solaris he is using.

    Is he? How as already mentioned the system has no disks (and hence no
    OS) yet?

    And as to which OS would be best on this hardware (which the question
    was) I'm sure that there is no doubt that this is Solaris 10,
    downloadable from sun.com, as it's perfectly supported on the V880.

    For a system that is in a questionable state where it's no sure if it's
    ok, the last I would install is some kind of beta release (SXCE) which
    may or may not support all features of the V880, especially it's aimed
    more on workstations.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jan 12, 2009