Re: Super Newbie Question, Please

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Egil Solberg, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. Egil Solberg

    Egil Solberg Guest

    "JayPeterman" <> wrote in message
    > I bought a bare bones system with a hard disk and a P4S8X mobo.
    > Everything worked fine for a while. I then began to get popups from
    > WinXP Pro windows file protection. I decided to buy another hard disk
    > and do a fresh install.

    If file protection kicks in, your original files must have been damaged in
    some way. That could be harddrive corruption due to bad disk or bad memory,
    or simply you deleting some vital files.

    > I have two hard disks, both Maxtors (one 40GB drive D and one 120GB
    > drive C).
    >
    > When the computer boots I notice that it says the Fast Track is not
    > connected to any hard drive. Could this be a problem?

    Fasttrak is an IDE-controller from Promise. The mesage means what it says:
    your drives are not connected to this controller, but to the SiS
    IDE-controller built into your southbridge chip on the mobo.
    No reason to worry

    >Also another
    > message I get is cannot write (to) EXCD. Is this another problem?

    Occasionally this message can come, especially after installing new
    hardware. If you reboot and the message does not come back, you´re fine.
    You mean "ESCD"?
    In he BIOS setup, there´s always an option: "Reset configuration data". Set
    that to "yes" to manually force an ESCD-update on next boot. The setting
    will automatically reset to "no" in BIOS setup after a successfull update of
    ESCD. Hopefully the message will go away.

    Egil Solberg, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Egil Solberg

    JayPeterman Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:32:13 +0200, "Egil Solberg"
    <> wrote:

    >"JayPeterman" <> wrote in message
    >> I bought a bare bones system with a hard disk and a P4S8X mobo.
    >> Everything worked fine for a while. I then began to get popups from
    >> WinXP Pro windows file protection. I decided to buy another hard disk
    >> and do a fresh install.

    >If file protection kicks in, your original files must have been damaged in
    >some way. That could be harddrive corruption due to bad disk or bad memory,
    >or simply you deleting some vital files.
    >
    >> I have two hard disks, both Maxtors (one 40GB drive D and one 120GB
    >> drive C).
    >>
    >> When the computer boots I notice that it says the Fast Track is not
    >> connected to any hard drive. Could this be a problem?

    >Fasttrak is an IDE-controller from Promise. The mesage means what it says:
    >your drives are not connected to this controller, but to the SiS
    >IDE-controller built into your southbridge chip on the mobo.
    >No reason to worry
    >

    >>Also another
    >> message I get is cannot write (to) EXCD. Is this another problem?

    >Occasionally this message can come, especially after installing new
    >hardware. If you reboot and the message does not come back, you´re fine.
    >You mean "ESCD"?
    >In he BIOS setup, there´s always an option: "Reset configuration data". Set
    >that to "yes" to manually force an ESCD-update on next boot. The setting
    >will automatically reset to "no" in BIOS setup after a successfull update of
    >ESCD. Hopefully the message will go away.

    Thanks for your help. The OS is installed on my laptop and works fine.
    Although I guess something could have happened after that
    installation. I just reformatted and reinstalled on my desktop and I
    still get that damned WFP window. Maybe the OS disk got damaged. My C
    drive was just purchased a couple of days ago and all the formatting,
    etc., went well.

    I saw a default configure setting which I selected but still get the
    message about the ESCD.

    It looks like I need a new OS disk. I'm going to give it a try in the
    XP group.

    Thanks again Egil.

    JayPeterman, Jul 20, 2003

  3. Egil Solberg

    Kirby Crosby Guest

    sounds more like a memory problem to me.
    what type of ram are you using (brand size etc).

    Kirby Crosby, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Egil Solberg

    JayPeterman Guest

    Hey Kirby,
    It's 512MB PC-2700 333MHZ DDR. I believe it's Samsung brand.
    Thanks.

    JayPeterman, Jul 20, 2003
  5. Egil Solberg

    JayPeterman Guest

    Thanks again for your input Kirby. I've had this computer since March
    and I'm just now having problems. So the ram can just start posing
    problems? I guess it makes sense that if the ram is acting up it
    doesn't remember where the necessary files of the operating system
    are. Being a newb I really don't know how to run the ram at a
    different speed. Thank you.

    JayPeterman, Jul 21, 2003