Re: Supermicro C2SEA problems with Windows 7

Discussion in 'Supermicro' started by Gene E. Bloch, Jul 1, 2010.

  1. On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:48:27 -0400, Bolwerk wrote:

    > I have a homemade box with a Supermicro C2SEA mainboard and installed
    > Windows 7 on it. I had a major problems with BSODs, which seemed to
    > partially subside after I installed a few updates.
    >
    > But I continued to have problems. I decided to try to upgrade the BIOS
    > using the relevant link on SuperMicro's site:
    >
    > http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Core2Duo/G45/C2SEA.cfm
    >
    > I did it by taking a boot CD that came with the board, booting to DOS,
    > and then swapping it out with another CD with the BIOS utility and ROM
    > on it. It didn't reboot as the directions* in the readme said it would.
    > Rather it just kicked me back to the DOS prompt, so I just rebooted it
    > manually myself.
    >
    > Lo and behold, I try to boot and things seem normal until I get to the
    > Windows 7 splash screen. Then it just freezes. I can't seem to do
    > anything now. I even tried to reinstall Windows 7 - it even freezes
    > when I get to the splash screen from the CD. The freeze happens right
    > as the words "Starting Windows" appear. Right now I'm attempting to
    > find a copy of the old BIOS somewhere so I can at least get back into
    > Windows (maybe).
    >
    > When I try to boot in safe mode, it seems to choke on classpnp.sys.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > * If it helps, here are the instructions I attempted to follow to
    > install the latest BIOS:

    > FOR <filename>.zip
    > 1. Save this file to your computer.
    >
    > 2. extract the files to a DOS bootable device (such as a bootable USB
    > stick, or CD).
    >
    > 2. Boot to a DOS prompt and type AMI.BAT filename.rom.
    >
    > 4. Do not interrupt the process until the flashing is complete.
    >
    > 5. If the computer pauses, please wait until it starts to program.
    >
    > 6. The computer will re-boot on completion.
    >

    > ** If the BIOS flash failed, you can contact our RMA dept. to have the
    > bios chip reprogrammed.
    > This will require shipping the board to our RMA dept. for BIOS
    > reprogramming.
    > The RMA dept's email address is

    Some motherboards require special Windows drivers (or at least that was
    true for me a few years ago). You might have to check into that at the
    manufacturer's site.

    As I recall, Windows provides an opportunity to install drivers during
    installation of the OS - which might not be what you want to do. If there
    are drivers needed, and if you're lucky, the manufacturer might tell you
    how to install them without reinstalling Windows.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
    Gene E. Bloch, Jul 1, 2010

  2. Gene E. Bloch

    Char Jackson Guest

    Re: BSODs on C2SEA (was Re: Supermicro C2SEA problems with Windows 7)

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:50:00 -0400, Bolwerk <> wrote:

    >Bolwerk wrote:
    >> Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >>> Some motherboards require special Windows drivers (or at least that was
    >>> true for me a few years ago). You might have to check into that at the
    >>> manufacturer's site.
    >>>
    >>> As I recall, Windows provides an opportunity to install drivers during
    >>> installation of the OS - which might not be what you want to do. If there
    >>> are drivers needed, and if you're lucky, the manufacturer might tell you
    >>> how to install them without reinstalling Windows.

    >> Well, I've had some success. It's definitely a BIOS problem. I mass
    >> disabled some BIOS features. I'll see if I can isolate what the problem
    >> was and report back.

    >It looks like having Core Multi-Processing enabled in the BIOS was the
    >show-stopper for Windows. So I am able to get back into Windows again.
    >
    >I'm still getting blue screens. They're much less frequent (every few
    >hours, instead of a few times an hour). I'm not sure what the culprit
    >is. It seems upgrading the video driver improved things, but daily
    >BSODs is still a bit much.
    >
    >Anybody have any ideas? Memory?
    >
    >Thanks!

    Memory and power supply are possible culprits. Run Memtest86+ to rule
    out memory problems. Memtest86+ is available by itself, or as part of
    the (recommended) Hiren's Boot CD.
    http://www.hirensbootcd.net/download.html
    Char Jackson, Jul 2, 2010

  3. Gene E. Bloch

    noi ance Guest

    Re: BSODs on C2SEA (was Re: Supermicro C2SEA problems with Windows7)

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 11:50:00 -0400, Bolwerk typed this message:

    > Bolwerk wrote:
    >> Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    >>> Some motherboards require special Windows drivers (or at least that
    >>> was true for me a few years ago). You might have to check into that at
    >>> the manufacturer's site.
    >>>
    >>> As I recall, Windows provides an opportunity to install drivers during
    >>> installation of the OS - which might not be what you want to do. If
    >>> there are drivers needed, and if you're lucky, the manufacturer might
    >>> tell you how to install them without reinstalling Windows.

    >> Well, I've had some success. It's definitely a BIOS problem. I mass
    >> disabled some BIOS features. I'll see if I can isolate what the
    >> problem was and report back.

    > It looks like having Core Multi-Processing enabled in the BIOS was the
    > show-stopper for Windows. So I am able to get back into Windows again.
    >
    > I'm still getting blue screens. They're much less frequent (every few
    > hours, instead of a few times an hour). I'm not sure what the culprit
    > is. It seems upgrading the video driver improved things, but daily
    > BSODs is still a bit much.
    >
    > Anybody have any ideas? Memory?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Unless I have the problems related to the BIOS upgrades I tend to stay
    away from the updates, mostly because some board BIOS updates are
    specific to a M/B version, and 1 or 2 updates broke something else.
    Backout a bad BIOS update to the original version. More important is
    this looks like a very new and well constructed M/B, I can't imagine it
    would need BIOS upgrade.

    BSOD can occur for 100s of reasons, bad memory, bad/loose PCI card or
    memory chip installation, failing PSU or vga card, high cpu/gsu temps, a
    bad HD or sectors on the HD, etc. Did you look for BSOD messages in the
    event logs? You should set the M/B to optimal settings (basic
    compatibility) for your initial installation.

    Not sure what would be wrong with Multi-processing enabled in BIOS. That
    just means multiple cores running right? My Win7 supports 2 cores now,
    so, I think you should be able to support at least 12 cores with Hyper-
    Threading, unless you're installing Win7 Basic.

    noi ance, Jul 2, 2010