Re: T61 Does not Hibernate or Sleep any more

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by John Doue, Apr 2, 2008.

  1. John Doue

    John Doue Guest

    Jordan wrote:
    > Just got a T61 a couple of months ago and setup the unit so it:
    >
    > Close the Lid = Hibernate
    > Press Fn+F4 = Sleep
    > Press Button = Power Off
    >
    > In the last couple of days I notice that the unit would not Hibernate
    > any longer and now that I have been working on that for the past few
    > days I can see that it will not enter sleep mode either.
    >
    > I went to Control Panel and the Power Options and I notices that there
    > was no Hibernation tab nor a check box for Hibernation. I also can
    > see that when I open Lenovo's Power Settings management program the
    > Enable Hibernation check box will not stat checked. I check it and
    > click Apply and it immediately unchecks.
    >
    > I tried to do run "powercfg /a" from the command prompt and I got the
    > following. Notice how it says these modes are NOT available:

    > The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    > Standby (S1)
    > Standby (S2)
    > Standby (S3)
    > Hibernate

    First of all, check your Bios settings for powermanagement.

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Apr 2, 2008

  2. John Doue

    John Doue Guest

    Jordan wrote:
    > I checked the bois and even reset them to defaults thinking that I may
    > have messed something up when I was in there. The only thing I
    > remember going intot the bios for was to try enabling the Intel
    > Virtualization techology to see if that gave my Virtual PC application
    > any improvement. I only went back in to turn it back to off once I
    > saw no improvement. In only mention it becaue I don't know if that
    > could have tripped it.
    >
    > I checked all the bios settings related to power and they all appear
    > to be on the defaults. I have even tried to see if I could find out
    > if it was a device issue by going into Device Manager and checking the
    > advanced properties of every single device's PM capabilities. Every
    > device seems to support D0 and D3 under Power Capabilities. Under the
    > Power State Mappings I can see that everything has:
    >
    > S0 -> D0
    > S1 -> D0 or Unspecified
    > S2 -> D0 or Unspecified
    > S3 -> D3
    > S4 -> D3
    > S5 -> D3
    >
    > I can't figure out why "powercfg /a" is telling me that no power state
    > is supported. I have downloaded the latest PM drivers from Lenovo and
    > their PM Utility as well and still no luck. When I setup this
    > computer a month ago I used all the latest drivers and everything was
    > running fine up until then.

    Then, trying booting into safe mode and see if the machine still refuses
    to hibernate / go to sleep. Better if you can, boot into a booting CD
    and check behavior. Some entries in the Registry can interfere with
    Power Management.

    I am not sure a virus could cause this behavior but booting into a CD
    should at least tell you if this is an OS issue or a mobo issue.

    Regards

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Apr 2, 2008

  3. John Doue

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 15:18:47 GMT, John Doue <> wrote:

    <SNIP>

    >Then, trying booting into safe mode and see if the machine still refuses
    >to hibernate / go to sleep. Better if you can, boot into a booting CD
    >and check behavior. Some entries in the Registry can interfere with
    >Power Management.
    >
    >I am not sure a virus could cause this behavior but booting into a CD
    >should at least tell you if this is an OS issue or a mobo issue.
    >
    >Regards

    A "booting CD" being a Live Linux CD, for example Ubuntu Desktop 7.10?

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 2, 2008
  4. John Doue

    John Doue Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 15:18:47 GMT, John Doue <> wrote:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >> Then, trying booting into safe mode and see if the machine still refuses
    >> to hibernate / go to sleep. Better if you can, boot into a booting CD
    >> and check behavior. Some entries in the Registry can interfere with
    >> Power Management.
    >>
    >> I am not sure a virus could cause this behavior but booting into a CD
    >> should at least tell you if this is an OS issue or a mobo issue.
    >>
    >> Regards

    > A "booting CD" being a Live Linux CD, for example Ubuntu Desktop 7.10?
    >
    > ... Ben Myers

    Sure!

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Apr 2, 2008
  5. John Doue

    Woody Guest

    The first thing to check is if there is enough hard disk space available to
    hibernate. Go in the help section and check there for answers. Clean up
    spyware. Virus scan. Chkdsk /r

    Woody, Apr 2, 2008
  6. John Doue

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:41:17 GMT, John Doue <> wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 15:18:47 GMT, John Doue <> wrote:
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >>> Then, trying booting into safe mode and see if the machine still refuses
    >>> to hibernate / go to sleep. Better if you can, boot into a booting CD
    >>> and check behavior. Some entries in the Registry can interfere with
    >>> Power Management.
    >>>
    >>> I am not sure a virus could cause this behavior but booting into a CD
    >>> should at least tell you if this is an OS issue or a mobo issue.
    >>>
    >>> Regards

    >> A "booting CD" being a Live Linux CD, for example Ubuntu Desktop 7.10?
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers

    >Sure!

    I wanted to get the terminology straight. Or OpenSuse Live CD. Or
    FeatherLinux Live CD. Thanks... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 3, 2008
  7. John Doue

    John Doue Guest

    Woody wrote:

    snip
    > The first thing to check is if there is enough hard disk space available to
    > hibernate. Go in the help section and check there for answers. Clean up
    > spyware. Virus scan. Chkdsk /r

    I did not mention this obvious space thing since it has nothing to do
    with the standby issue. And the lack of space would not cause the
    Hibernation tab to disappear.

    The OP's problem is a different one, and I think he must first manage to
    rule out a registry problem. Having experimented on a stubborn machine
    which refuses to come out of standby from the keyboard, only from the
    power button, I know some registry hacks (or errors) can interfere with
    Powermanagement.

    Regards
    --
    John Doue