Re: taking a desktop through airport security

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Peter Smith, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Peter Smith

    Peter Smith Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote

    << Yeah, but he's talking about taking a desktop -- a non-working (no
    monitor) desktop. >>

    *sigh*

    Yeah, so he is. I can only blame my long day yesterday as to why I missed
    *that* one.

    I'd suggest taking the hard drive out and bringing it with you in your
    carry-on, putting the rest in checked baggage.. Not because of any damage
    from the scanning equipment, rather to keep the drive safe from being
    accidently dropped, crushed, or any of the other nasty things that can
    happen around the heavy equipment used to load, unload, or generally service
    aircraft. Everything can (usually) be easially replaced on a computer.
    Everything but the data on the drives.

    Peter Smith

    Peter Smith, Jun 24, 2003

  2. My son took a PC midi tower that I'd recently built through checked baggage.
    No problems with airline or X-ray. Just wrapped it with dirty laundry in
    his large suitcase. Came through it all without problems. Today's hard
    drives are fairly shock resistant, though I'd back up any important data
    beforehand though.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Eales, Jun 25, 2003