Re: Temp question for XP 2600

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by nihoa, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. nihoa

    nihoa Guest

    "Tinman" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Right now I have a t-bird 1.4 ghz (not overclocked), and its running very
    > hot in my case 160 degrees on avg. I remember hearing the tbird runs very
    > hot compared to other processors. If I were to put a 2600xp processor in
    > there with a decent fan, would it run hotter or cooler then the tbird 1.4?

    > don't want to buy the new cpu just to have it fry right away. Im hoping to
    > get another 6 months or so with my current mobo/ram/vid card with the

    2600xp
    > chip in there, then get a new PCI Express based system when they come out.
    >

    > -Tinman

    From what I've been told, any CPU temperature below 60C is okay. Naturally,
    the lower you can get the CPU temperature the better. My own T-bird
    1.333GHz CPU temperature is currently floating about 55C. So I'm safe. I
    just upgraded my system with a new motherboard. Planning to upgrade my CPU
    next with an XP 2800+. The F/HS I plan to use is the Tipmagnetic A4002D
    from Cyberguys.com. This F/HS is rated good for AMD CPUs up to XP 3400+.

    Nihoa

    nihoa, Apr 4, 2004

  2. nihoa

    Sept1967 Guest

    Older TBirds run hotter because they used more voltage and were made on a
    ..18micron process compared to .13micron now.

    Holy cats, 160f?? Do you cook dinner with that?

    When I had my 1.4 - it ran around 119-129f (copper cooler).

    I recently had a Thermalright SK6+ (all copper) on an XP 2400+ (ran from
    114-126f).

    My current XP 2600+ with a ThermalTake Volcano 7+ runs (109-116f) even on
    medium setting - low noise.

    The cooler makes all the difference. Copper core -vs- all copper (All copper
    wins).

    An XP will run alot cooler then your TBird.

    "nihoa" <> wrote in message

    > "Tinman" <> wrote in message
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > Right now I have a t-bird 1.4 ghz (not overclocked), and its running

    very
    > > hot in my case 160 degrees on avg. I remember hearing the tbird runs

    very
    > > hot compared to other processors. If I were to put a 2600xp processor in
    > > there with a decent fan, would it run hotter or cooler then the tbird

    1.4?
    > > don't want to buy the new cpu just to have it fry right away. Im hoping

    > > get another 6 months or so with my current mobo/ram/vid card with the

    > 2600xp
    > > chip in there, then get a new PCI Express based system when they come

    out.

    > > -Tinman
    > >

    > From what I've been told, any CPU temperature below 60C is okay.

    Naturally,