Re: The Ramblings of a Tablet Nut:

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by me@privacy.net, Sep 24, 2009.

  1. Guest

    "diane whatever" <> wrote:

    >I truly love "writing" on my tablet laptops. I have had several . as of
    >right now I have 3 . . . one or two I will sell.

    is this group dead?

    , Sep 24, 2009

  2. got a question?

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Sep 24, 2009

  3. Guest

    Beverly Howard <> wrote:

    >got a question?
    >
    >Beverly Howard

    just interested in tablet for engineering student use

    was hoping some traffic here

    , Sep 24, 2009

  4. >> just interested in tablet for engineering student use <<

    Search this forum using google groups
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc?hl=en

    There was some discussion on this a year or so ago... Possibly Virginia
    Tech?

    If nothing else, you might get some pointers to where you might get more
    info. I would assume that a school that requires use of tablets would
    have a support forum somewhere.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Sep 24, 2009
  5. Guest

    "Diane Whatever" <> wrote:

    >I'm thinking you might be correct. I asked a few questions a couple op
    >months ago.
    >Maybe I am on everyone's block or delete filter!
    >
    >--

    I wish the price of tablets would come down some as I'm
    an engineering student (read poor) but think a tablet
    would be perfect for me!

    , Sep 27, 2009
  6. Harry Guest

    Been using a tablet at University for some years now as a part time student.
    I can highly recommend OneNote for managing lecture notes, assignments and
    study. It's great to open the lecture slides and mark them up. If you get
    PDF files, you can use PDF annotator to also make notes on them. Future
    review of the notes then also come with all the comments you made during the
    lecture.

    Unfortunately, my office doesn't use exchange so I never got to see how it
    integrated with email and todo etc.

    Good luck.

    Harry.

    Harry, Oct 8, 2009
  7. Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote:

    >Been using a tablet at University for some years now as a part time student.
    >I can highly recommend OneNote for managing lecture notes, assignments and

    Thanks for the input Harry!!

    What brand/model tablet are you using?

    Also, curious what you are studying and majoring in at
    school?

    , Oct 8, 2009
  8. On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:40:23 -0500, wrote:

    >"Harry" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Been using a tablet at University for some years now as a part time student.
    >>I can highly recommend OneNote for managing lecture notes, assignments and

    >Thanks for the input Harry!!
    >
    >What brand/model tablet are you using?
    >
    >Also, curious what you are studying and majoring in at
    >school?

    I can concur, I used my Toshiba M400 tablet for the last 3 years of my
    computer engineering degree. With a scanner you can import all your
    paper handouts into OneNote as well.

    Did all my notes and homework on my tablet, printed out my homework
    and handed it in.

    OneNote is great for complex note-taking, especially if the professor
    is using multiple colors on the white/chalk board...you can match them
    up in OneNote.

    Classmate need a copy of the notes? Just print one out from OneNote.
    Got a PDF handout? Import into OneNote and ink your notes on it.

    Instead of carrying multiple paper notebooks, I just had my tablet pc
    and a couple folders for any paper handouts.

    One thing I didn't use as much as I could have was the audio
    recording.

    --
    Cheers,
    Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP

    Steve Jain [MVP], Oct 8, 2009
  9. >> Got a PDF handout? Import into OneNote and ink your notes on it. <<

    Can you elaborate on this... I have OneNote2003 and can't see any way to
    natively import a pdf.

    Great tips... thanks,
    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Oct 8, 2009
  10. On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 16:59:32 -0500, Beverly Howard
    <> wrote:

    > >> Got a PDF handout? Import into OneNote and ink your notes on it. <<

    >Can you elaborate on this... I have OneNote2003 and can't see any way to
    >natively import a pdf.
    >
    >Great tips... thanks,
    >Beverly Howard

    Sorry for the terminology. I was referring to the "send to onenote"
    print function.

    Steve Jain [MVP], Oct 9, 2009
  11. Guest

    "Steve Jain [MVP]" <> wrote:

    >Instead of carrying multiple paper notebooks, I just had my tablet pc
    >and a couple folders for any paper handouts.

    Ok but in what way was the tablet superior for taking
    notes over paper notebooks?

    Did the tablet convert you handwriting to text.... have
    OCR built in? Is that it?

    Or does it just record the handwritten notes just as
    squiggly lines (like real handwriting) and save as
    image file?

    I am elect engineer student..... at major
    university..... hence my questions. I'm a bit "poor"
    too.... if you know what I mean. lol

    But I do see good prices on Lenovo outlet for their
    tablets

    , Oct 9, 2009
  12. On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 18:39:23 -0500, wrote:

    >"Steve Jain [MVP]" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Instead of carrying multiple paper notebooks, I just had my tablet pc
    >>and a couple folders for any paper handouts.

    >Ok but in what way was the tablet superior for taking
    >notes over paper notebooks?

    All I needed was the tablet pc, not 5 paper notebooks.

    >Did the tablet convert you handwriting to text.... have
    >OCR built in? Is that it?

    No, I left it in my handwriting. I didn't convert it, no need to
    really.

    >Or does it just record the handwritten notes just as
    >squiggly lines (like real handwriting) and save as
    >image file?

    You record your handwriting as handwriting.
    OneNote is not image files, it's digital ink. OneNote uses notebooks,
    the stuff you write stays as digital ink, you can erase, copy, paste,
    etc with your handwriting.

    another great thing is the shared notebook, you can "publish" a
    notebook, email your lab partners who also have onenote and all work
    on it at the same time.

    None of the OneNote demos on the MS site really show it in action like
    this. To really get a grasp, go somewhere that has tablets on display
    where you can write on one, then you'll get it :)

    Steve Jain [MVP], Oct 9, 2009
  13. >> "send to onenote" print function. <<

    Sorry... still lost. I'm pursuing this since it would obviously be a
    valuable tool.

    I have onenote 2003 installed but this is not a printer option, so, ran
    the onenote setup to see if there were onenote printer options and could
    not find them.

    Thanks for your input on this.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Oct 9, 2009
  14. Related question/observation

    Windows Journal offers a "print to journal" printer, but that generates
    an image file... i.e. exported text is viewable, but cannot be copied or
    manipulated.

    How does the "send to onenote" option handle text?

    Thanks in advance,
    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Oct 9, 2009
  15. For an engineering student, would assume the ability to "sketch" would
    be just as valuable, plus the ability to use freehand to copy formulas.

    Also, as you can see with windows7 and NCIS, touch screens are becoming
    mainstream, so, the ability to use them to increase your understanding
    and familiarity could be valuable in the long run... related note, the
    tablet input method will play a major role here.

    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Oct 9, 2009
  16. On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:21:09 -0500, Beverly Howard
    <> wrote:

    > >> "send to onenote" print function. <<

    >Sorry... still lost. I'm pursuing this since it would obviously be a
    >valuable tool.
    >
    >I have onenote 2003 installed but this is not a printer option, so, ran
    >the onenote setup to see if there were onenote printer options and could
    >not find them.
    >
    >Thanks for your input on this.
    >
    >Beverly Howard

    It may not be in OneNote 2003. I googled and there are powertoys for
    ON2003 for Outlook and Explorer, didn't see anything else

    Steve Jain [MVP], Oct 9, 2009
  17. Thanks for the response,
    Beverly Howard

    Beverly Howard, Oct 9, 2009
  18. On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 12:32:25 -0500, Beverly Howard
    <> wrote:

    >For an engineering student, would assume the ability to "sketch" would
    >be just as valuable, plus the ability to use freehand to copy formulas.
    >
    >Also, as you can see with windows7 and NCIS, touch screens are becoming
    >mainstream, so, the ability to use them to increase your understanding
    >and familiarity could be valuable in the long run... related note, the
    >tablet input method will play a major role here.
    >
    >Beverly Howard

    Indeed, there's no way to "type" in most engineering formulas,
    circuits, advanced equations.

    Steve Jain [MVP], Oct 11, 2009
  19. Beverly Howard wrote:
    > Related question/observation
    >
    > Windows Journal offers a "print to journal" printer, but that
    > generates an image file... i.e. exported text is viewable, but cannot
    > be copied or manipulated.
    >
    > How does the "send to onenote" option handle text?

    "Send to OneNote" is a virtual printer too.
    The result is an *image* which can not be edited in ON, only annotated.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Oct 12, 2009
  20. Beverly Howard wrote:
    >>> "send to onenote" print function. <<

    > Sorry... still lost. I'm pursuing this since it would obviously be a
    > valuable tool.
    >
    > I have onenote 2003 installed but this is not a printer option, so,
    > ran the onenote setup to see if there were onenote printer options
    > and could not find them.

    ON2003 is a bit ooold. :-( :-(
    The application gas undergone dramatic changes in ON2007. If one likes
    ON, upgrading is a must.
    You might have a look by downloading the 60-days "Trial"[1] which is
    fully functional.

    Which SP do you have installed?
    I can't remember exactly (because I used ON2003 only for a week or two
    and then jumped to the ON2007 beta) but I *think* that the "Send to
    OneNote" printer was added with SP2. It could be that it was a PowerToy,
    however.

    I searched around but I could not find a PowerToy (the old site for the
    3003 PowerToys does not exist anymore).

    Rainald
    [1]
    http://us1.trymicrosoftoffice.com/product.aspx?sku=3082934&culture=en-US