Re: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Mounting

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Ed Medlin, May 28, 2008.

  1. Ed Medlin

    Ed Medlin Guest

    "John Whitworth" <sexyjw@g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any 'correct' orientation for mounting such a heatsink. No, I
    > don't care if it's straight, gay, or bi, just if there's a preferred way
    > for it to face. :)
    >
    > I have mounted mine in a similar fashion to the one here:
    > http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5504/dsc00005aa8.jpg
    >
    > I.e. fan facing towards front of case. The case is an Antec P182. My temps
    > at stock speed are 44/45/49/50 for the four cores, though it doesn't
    > change a lot when overclocked to 3.2GHz. On the stock cooler I got around
    > 55/60.
    >
    > Also, when I mounted the heatsink, even though I tightened the screws up
    > as much as possible, the actual heatsink still moved in a rotary fashion
    > by a few degrees. Is this normal?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > JW

    With the P18x case that should be fine. You have a 10deg drop in temps which
    is pretty admirable. The only way you might improve that is to reverse the
    top/rear fan to blow in and face it that direction for some direct airflow.
    My P182 is modded by Swiftech with a watercooling system and I have the top
    fan reversed to bring a bit more air to the radiator (which is where the
    normal top/rear fan is) and the chipsets. As far as the HS moving a few
    degrees, I wouldn't worry much. My waterblock moves a tiny bit the same way
    and it works great and I tightened it as much as I could. Just as long as it
    is making even contact across the CPU it is fine.

    Ed
    Ed Medlin, May 28, 2008

  2. Ed Medlin

    peter Guest

    I have mine facing the same way with the fan blowing thru the sink towards
    the back of the case...but its a P160 case.
    nice drop in Temps...
    pk

    peter, May 28, 2008

  3. Ed Medlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "peter" typed:
    > I have mine facing the same way with the fan blowing thru the sink
    > towards the back of the case...but its a P160 case.
    > nice drop in Temps...
    > pk

    <disclaimer that my newsreading client sniped reinserted>

    <end disclaimer>

    Ohhh, I really need something as erudite and witty as that in my sig. In
    fact that is perfect for me, I can't see how to improve on it. (Except
    maybe lose the smiley. <g>) Mind if I borrow it?

    You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of
    flattery.....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, May 30, 2008
  4. Ed Medlin

    peter Guest

    Go for it...

    peter, May 31, 2008
  5. Ed Medlin

    Ed Medlin Guest

    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
    >
    > <end disclaimer>
    >
    > Ohhh, I really need something as erudite and witty as that in my sig. In
    > fact that is perfect for me, I can't see how to improve on it. (Except
    > maybe lose the smiley. <g>) Mind if I borrow it?
    >
    > You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of
    > flattery.....
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.

    .........hehehe...... I think we ALL need that sig. Not that "I" would ever
    make such a posting, but just in case someone takes it that way.......:)

    Ed
    Ed Medlin, May 31, 2008
  6. Ed Medlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "peter" typed:
    > Go for it...

    Thanks heaps. <g>
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 1, 2008
  7. Ed Medlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Medlin" typed:
    >> DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    >> offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    >> If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    >> me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)
    >>
    >> <end disclaimer>
    >>
    >> Ohhh, I really need something as erudite and witty as that in my
    >> sig. In fact that is perfect for me, I can't see how to improve on
    >> it. (Except maybe lose the smiley. <g>) Mind if I borrow it?
    >>
    >> You know what they say about imitation being the sincerest form of
    >> flattery.....
    >>

    > ........hehehe...... I think we ALL need that sig. Not that "I" would
    > ever make such a posting,

    Of course not. ;-)

    > but just in case someone takes it that
    > way.......:)

    Odds are that someone will, sometime. I've been known to post in groups less
    civilised than this one and it seems that some people just want to argue or
    take comments out of context.

    Now I've got this spiffy new disclaimer in my sig perhaps anyone will think
    twice before trying to start a flame war. Also, it ties me into not
    responding, which, believe me, is a good thing. <g>

    (Although, I must admit, I've got better at ignoring fools recently. Could
    be something to do with dropping certain groups from my reading list.)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 1, 2008