Re: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Mounting

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Leadfoot, May 30, 2008.

  1. Leadfoot

    Leadfoot Guest

    "John Whitworth" <sexyjw@g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any 'correct' orientation for mounting such a heatsink. No, I
    > don't care if it's straight, gay, or bi, just if there's a preferred way
    > for it to face. :)
    >
    > I have mounted mine in a similar fashion to the one here:
    > http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5504/dsc00005aa8.jpg
    >
    > I.e. fan facing towards front of case. The case is an Antec P182. My temps
    > at stock speed are 44/45/49/50 for the four cores, though it doesn't
    > change a lot when overclocked to 3.2GHz. On the stock cooler I got around
    > 55/60.
    >
    > Also, when I mounted the heatsink, even though I tightened the screws up
    > as much as possible, the actual heatsink still moved in a rotary fashion
    > by a few degrees. Is this normal?

    A washer with a 3/8 opening can be used to increase the pressure

    Look up "washer trick" or "penny trick"

    > Cheers
    >
    > JW

    1. Advertising

  2. On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:11:27 -0700, Leadfoot <> wrote:
    :
    : "John Whitworth" <sexyjw@g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in message
    : news:483d10d4$0$2494$...
    : > Is there any 'correct' orientation for mounting such a heatsink. No, I
    : > don't care if it's straight, gay, or bi, just if there's a preferred way
    : > for it to face. :)
    : >
    : > I have mounted mine in a similar fashion to the one here:
    : > http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5504/dsc00005aa8.jpg
    : >
    : > I.e. fan facing towards front of case. The case is an Antec P182. My temps
    : > at stock speed are 44/45/49/50 for the four cores, though it doesn't
    : > change a lot when overclocked to 3.2GHz. On the stock cooler I got around
    : > 55/60.

    I have this heat sink in the Nine Hundred case with the fan blowing
    through the cooler and out the top. It's so close to the northbridge
    that the CPU cooler sucks hot air from the northbridge cooler. It's
    an E6750 @ 3.6ghz idles at 40-42, idle and and under heavy load it
    stabilizes at 65. Ambient is 31.

    ....And I just discovered this combination is no longer stable so it's
    not a recommendation.

    1. Advertising

  3. On Thu, 29 May 2008 16:11:27 -0700, Leadfoot <> wrote:
    :
    : "John Whitworth" <sexyjw@g_EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE_mail.com> wrote in message
    : news:483d10d4$0$2494$...
    : > Is there any 'correct' orientation for mounting such a heatsink. No, I
    : > don't care if it's straight, gay, or bi, just if there's a preferred way
    : > for it to face. :)
    : >
    : > I have mounted mine in a similar fashion to the one here:
    : > http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/5504/dsc00005aa8.jpg
    : >
    : > I.e. fan facing towards front of case. The case is an Antec P182. My temps
    : > at stock speed are 44/45/49/50 for the four cores, though it doesn't
    : > change a lot when overclocked to 3.2GHz. On the stock cooler I got around
    : > 55/60.

    I wouldn't say it's optimal but I'm using this heat sink in the Antec
    Nine Hundred case with the fan blowing through the cooler and out the
    top. It's very close to the northbridge, the CPU cooler sucks hot air
    from the northbridge cooler before it gets to the cpu :( I have an