Re: Thinkpad System Update - How do you force it to do an update?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Anthony R. Gold, Feb 13, 2010.

  1. On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:24:30 -0600, Jim <> wrote:

    > I just finished installing the latest SYSTEM UPDATE from the
    > Lenovo site, read the documentation, but nowhere in there does
    > it tell you how to start the application to force it to go
    > to their site and update all the drivers.
    >
    > Can someone advise just how this is done (I am Administrator).

    Do you see the program in Start menu in a group/folder named ThinkVantage?

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Feb 13, 2010

  2. Anthony R. Gold

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Navas wrote:
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 04:21:15 -0600, Jim <> wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    >> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:01:10 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Do you see the program in Start menu in a group/folder named
    >>> ThinkVantage?

    >> One other annoyance. When shutting down, the laptop does not
    >> completely shut down power, it goes to a Windows XP screen which says
    >> "You can now power down the computer", and you have to push the power
    >> button to shut the darn thing off. I reinstalled the SHUTDOWN driver
    >> 98 mod in the XP drivers section, but it didn't help.
    >>
    >> Would anyone know what driver actually controls the automatic
    >> SHUTDOWN?

    > System Update often misses things that need to be installed, so go to
    > the Driver Matrix page for your system, download everything
    > appropriate, and install them all manually.

    I have five ThinkPads that I've done clean installs on in the last 12 months
    and TVSU has worked flawlessly for all of them. All I needed to download
    manually was the ethernet driver and TVSU itself. The rest was automated and
    easy.

    AFAIC TVSU is one big reason to buy a TP. I've done clean installs on other
    brands machines and spent hours / days getting the right drivers. TVSU has
    done it for me automatically every time I've used it. Especially the latest
    version of TVSU that was released last year.
    --
    Shaun.

    Nota bene: 'Return to' email is very rarely checked, if at all. It's spam
    city but is a req. of my NNTP providor.

    ~misfit~, Feb 19, 2010

  3. Anthony R. Gold

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Navas wrote:
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:28:03 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote in
    > <hlklur$rro$-september.org>:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Navas wrote:

    >>> System Update often misses things that need to be installed, so go
    >>> to the Driver Matrix page for your system, download everything
    >>> appropriate, and install them all manually.

    >> I have five ThinkPads that I've done clean installs on in the last
    >> 12 months and TVSU has worked flawlessly for all of them. All I
    >> needed to download manually was the ethernet driver and TVSU itself.
    >> The rest was automated and easy.
    >>
    >> AFAIC TVSU is one big reason to buy a TP. I've done clean installs
    >> on other brands machines and spent hours / days getting the right
    >> drivers. TVSU has done it for me automatically every time I've used
    >> it. Especially the latest version of TVSU that was released last
    >> year.

    > The old Software Installer was significantly better in my experience.

    Hmmm. I've not struck a problem with either but then I've only given up on
    desktops and been into ThinkPads for about three years now.

    I used to build my own desktops (and those for my gaming buddies as 'unpaid
    work', or rather I got their hand-me-down hardware as payment to sell on
    ebay) as I'm an invalid on welfare with an active mind but only a
    semi-functional body. However welfare doesn't pay much and running desktops
    as much as I did really sucked down the electricity.

    Since I've been running laptops I save quite a bit of money on electric and
    have less clutter. (Or I would if I could bring myself to part with my
    'heavy metal' hardware. I looked at what I could reasonably hope to get for
    the last desktop I built (Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP with an E7400, 3TB of storage
    etc. etc.) and decided I'd keep it as a back-up machine / server rather than
    lose 60% of what I'd recently paid out.
    --
    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Feb 21, 2010