Re: Ultra 60 SCSI External Interface

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Darren Dunham, Feb 14, 2009.

  1. rkiesling <> wrote:

    > Hello, all,
    > I would like to find information about terminating an Ultra
    > 60's external SCSI interface. The system occasionally tries
    > to write and reset the SCSI device, and then times out with
    > a failure.

    Write to what? If there's nothing attached, the system shouldn't
    "occasionally try to write". Are you sure the error is for the external
    bus and not the internal bus?

    > I cannot find information in the Sun docs about
    > whether an external terminator is needed if there are no
    > devices attached to the port, or about the SCSI termination
    > on the mainboard, if that is only related to the internal
    > SCSI assembly. ISTM the external port should be
    > self-terminating, but I'm only guessing.

    Termination isn't needed if there's no device attached. First, the bus
    shouldn't be in use, so the OS shouldn't care if it's working or not.
    Second, without any devices attached, the length of the bus is so short
    that reflections off one end won't confuse the signalling. As long as
    there's proper internal termination, it'll all get sucked up before
    anything is affected.

    --
    Darren
    Darren Dunham, Feb 14, 2009