Re: VTune Event based sampling and Athlon XP

Discussion in 'Intel' started by Michael Brown, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. "Yusuf Motiwala" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I downloaded eval copy of VTune 7.0 and surprised to know that I can't
    > do event based sampling on Athlon systems. VTune documentation says:
    >
    > "EBS can be run on the Intel. Pentium. Pro, Pentium. II, Pentium. II
    > XeonT, Celeron., Pentium. III, Pentium. III XeonT, Pentium. 4, and
    > Itanium. processors. The processors' performance counters can be
    > configured to monitor one or more events"
    >
    > Is this Vtune or athlon limit? My system is Athlon XP 2000.

    A VTune limit. It would be trivial to add support for the Athlon, but for
    some unknown reason <g> they don't want to. I thought I saw a non-Intel
    patch to do this somewhere a while ago (gave the same counters as a P2 or
    PPro or something), but I google doesn't seem to know about it.

    --
    Michael Brown

  2. Olivier

    Olivier Guest

    "Michael Brown" <> wrote in message news:<GQHVa.96867$>...
    > "Yusuf Motiwala" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I downloaded eval copy of VTune 7.0 and surprised to know that I can't
    > > do event based sampling on Athlon systems. VTune documentation says:
    > >
    > > "EBS can be run on the Intel. Pentium. Pro, Pentium. II, Pentium. II
    > > XeonT, Celeron., Pentium. III, Pentium. III XeonT, Pentium. 4, and
    > > Itanium. processors. The processors' performance counters can be
    > > configured to monitor one or more events"
    > >
    > > Is this Vtune or athlon limit? My system is Athlon XP 2000.

    > A VTune limit. It would be trivial to add support for the Athlon, but for
    > some unknown reason <g> they don't want to. I thought I saw a non-Intel
    > patch to do this somewhere a while ago (gave the same counters as a P2 or
    > PPro or something), but I google doesn't seem to know about it.

    Probably the same reason why Intel never added support for 3DNow
    instructions in their compiler's inline assembler.

    Olivier

    1. Advertising

  3. (Olivier) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Michael Brown" <> wrote in message news:<GQHVa.96867$>...
    > > "Yusuf Motiwala" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I downloaded eval copy of VTune 7.0 and surprised to know that I can't
    > > > do event based sampling on Athlon systems. VTune documentation says:
    > > >
    > > > "EBS can be run on the Intel. Pentium. Pro, Pentium. II, Pentium. II
    > > > XeonT, Celeron., Pentium. III, Pentium. III XeonT, Pentium. 4, and
    > > > Itanium. processors. The processors' performance counters can be
    > > > configured to monitor one or more events"
    > > >
    > > > Is this Vtune or athlon limit? My system is Athlon XP 2000.

    > > A VTune limit. It would be trivial to add support for the Athlon, but for
    > > some unknown reason <g> they don't want to. I thought I saw a non-Intel
    > > patch to do this somewhere a while ago (gave the same counters as a P2 or
    > > PPro or something), but I google doesn't seem to know about it.

    > Probably the same reason why Intel never added support for 3DNow
    > instructions in their compiler's inline assembler.
    >
    > Olivier

    I think VTune is something that Intel makes to benefit Intel
    processors running an app. I really doubt Intel is trying to get into
    the general software business since Intel primarily sells hardware.
    Given this, why would the tool support the low-level performance stuff
    on competitor CPUs? (doesn't make sense)