Re: WANTED: Portable Media Drives for Gateway

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by BillW50, Jul 25, 2009.

  1. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    JoeyAnyc typed on Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:10:50 -0500:
    > My Gateway computer came with the bay for Portable Media Drives.
    > However, I can not find these anywhere. They should have replaced
    > the bay with something else, **** Best Buy!!!
    >
    > Does anyone have any they would like to sell?
    > Please respond.
    >
    > Thanks so much.
    >
    > Joey
    >
    > PS - I would like the 160GB drives, however I'll take any size.

    I can't think of what those portable media drives are, except for flash
    drives. If that is what they are for, they are all over the place. My
    Gateways and EeePCs can use SD flash drives. I have lots of them.
    Unfortunately the one in my two 2006 Gateways can only read up to 1GB
    flash drives. While my five EeePCs can use up 32GB flash drives.

    --
    Bill
    Windows XP Home SP3 (5.1.2600)

    BillW50, Jul 25, 2009

  2. BillW50

    Ken Whiton Guest

    *-* On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, at 05:59:01 -0500,
    *-* In Article h4eouh$n6t$-september.org,
    *-* BillW50 wrote
    *-* About Re: WANTED: Portable Media Drives for Gateway

    > In news:,
    > JoeyAnyc typed on Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:10:50 -0500:
    >> My Gateway computer came with the bay for Portable Media Drives.
    >> However, I can not find these anywhere. They should have replaced
    >> the bay with something else, **** Best Buy!!!

    >> Does anyone have any they would like to sell?
    >> Please respond.

    >> Thanks so much.

    >> PS - I would like the 160GB drives, however I'll take any size.

    > I can't think of what those portable media drives are, except for
    > flash drives.

    No, this is what the OP is referring to:

    http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Portable-Media-External-PMD01160H/dp/B000ZUTU9C

    > If that is what they are for, they are all over the
    > place. My Gateways and EeePCs can use SD flash drives. I have lots
    > of them. Unfortunately the one in my two 2006 Gateways can only read
    > up to 1GB flash drives. While my five EeePCs can use up 32GB flash
    > drives.

    From that Amazon page:

    "Currently unavailable.
    We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

    That seems to be the situation with every vendor that has a listing
    for it, and there are none listed on eBay. :-(

    Ken Whiton
    --
    FIDO: 1:132/152
    InterNet: (remove the obvious to reply)

    Ken Whiton, Jul 26, 2009

  3. BillW50

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:,
    Ken Whiton typed on Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:09:12 -0400:
    > *-* On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, at 05:59:01 -0500,
    > *-* In Article h4eouh$n6t$-september.org,
    > *-* BillW50 wrote
    > *-* About Re: WANTED: Portable Media Drives for Gateway
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> JoeyAnyc typed on Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:10:50 -0500:
    >>> My Gateway computer came with the bay for Portable Media Drives.
    >>> However, I can not find these anywhere. They should have replaced
    >>> the bay with something else, **** Best Buy!!!

    >>> Does anyone have any they would like to sell?
    >>> Please respond.

    >>> Thanks so much.

    >>> PS - I would like the 160GB drives, however I'll take any size.

    >> I can't think of what those portable media drives are, except for
    >> flash drives.

    > No, this is what the OP is referring to:
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Portable-Media-External-PMD01160H/dp/B000ZUTU9C
    >
    >> If that is what they are for, they are all over the
    >> place. My Gateways and EeePCs can use SD flash drives. I have lots
    >> of them. Unfortunately the one in my two 2006 Gateways can only read
    >> up to 1GB flash drives. While my five EeePCs can use up 32GB flash
    >> drives.

    > From that Amazon page:
    >
    > "Currently unavailable.
    > We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."
    >
    > That seems to be the situation with every vendor that has a listing
    > for it, and there are none listed on eBay. :-(
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    > --
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: (remove the obvious to reply)

    Oh that's just a common 160GB USB 2.5 inch hard drive. You can get those
    anywhere. As long as you don't need the Gateway name plate. <grin>

    --
    Bill
    Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

    BillW50, Jul 26, 2009
  4. BillW50

    Ken Whiton Guest

    *-* On Sun, 26 Jul 2009, at 16:36:32 -0500,
    *-* In Article <h4ii93$fjh$-september.org>,
    *-* BillW50 wrote
    *-* About Re: WANTED: Portable Media Drives for Gateway

    > In news:,
    > Ken Whiton typed on Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:09:12 -0400:
    >> *-* BillW50 wrote

    >>> In news:,
    >>> JoeyAnyc typed on Thu, 23 Jul 2009 23:10:50 -0500:

    >>> I can't think of what those portable media drives are, except for
    >>> flash drives.

    >> No, this is what the OP is referring to:

    >> http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Portable-Media-External-PMD01160H/dp/B000ZUTU9C

    >>> If that is what they are for, they are all over the
    >>> place. My Gateways and EeePCs can use SD flash drives. I have lots
    >>> of them. Unfortunately the one in my two 2006 Gateways can only
    >>> read up to 1GB flash drives. While my five EeePCs can use up 32GB
    >>> flash drives.

    >> From that Amazon page:

    >> "Currently unavailable.
    >> We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

    >> That seems to be the situation with every vendor that has a listing
    >> for it, and there are none listed on eBay. :-(

    > Oh that's just a common 160GB USB 2.5 inch hard drive. You can get
    > those anywhere. As long as you don't need the Gateway name plate.
    > <grin>

    ... Or the ability to utilize the "docking" bay that's built into
    certain models of Gateway computers. From that same Amazon page:

    "Gateway desktop compatibility: This drive is fully compatible with
    Gateway desktops that feature the portable media drive bay. Simply
    slide the drive into the bay to back up files or transfer large
    amounts of data."

    Ken Whiton

    Ken Whiton, Jul 27, 2009