Re: Welcome to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad!

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by pheeh.zero@gmail.com, Mar 27, 2009.

  1. Guest

    On Mar 23, 9:56 am, John Navas <> wrote:
> [...]
    > purpose of sending junk (mass unsolicited) e-mail or for compiling a
    > list so that others may do so is specifically prohibited.
    >
    > In the absence of moderation, prohibitions can, of course, only be
    > enforced by the collective will of the group and/or by after-the-fact
    > complaints to the offender's service provider. Nevertheless, it is hoped
    > that this charter will help in getting complaints resolved.
    >
    > PROPONENT:
    >
    > John Navas <>
    >
    > RATIONALE:
    >
    > ThinkPad is a major and very popular brand of laptop/notebook computers,
    > formerly part of IBM, now part of Lenovo, with many unique features that
    > set the brand apart from other brands of laptop computers.
    >
    > Discussions pertaining to ThinkPad laptop computers are currently
    > carried in:
    >
    >   * comp.sys.laptops:
    >     - generic laptop discussion group
    >     - traffic of 40 articles per day, down from peak of over 100 per day
    >     - will remain for discussions not pertaining to ThinkPad
    >     - Google archive of over 170,000 articles
    >
    >   * ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad:
    >     - invalid newsgroup not carried by many news providers
    >     - traffic of 10 articles per day
    >     - Google archive of over 9,000 articles
    >
    >   *http://forum.thinkpads.com/
    >     - broken down into multiple specific topics
    >     - over 15,000 registered users
    >     - over 200,000 articles
    >
    >   * ThinkPad mailing list
    >     - List:http://stderr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/thinkpad
    >     - Archive:http://zurich.ai.mit.edu/hypermail/thinkpad/
    >     - traffic of 5-15 messages per day
    >
    > The existence of ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad and the popularity of
    > forum.thinkpads.com, and traffic on the ThinkPad mailing list, are
    > evidence of the demand for a ThinkPad brand-specific forum.
    >
    > Once it becomes carried widely, comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad is expected to
    > have initial traffic of at least 20 articles per day.
    >
    > comp.sys.laptops would remain for discussions not pertaining to ThinkPad
    > computers. Although some traffic would presumably be siphoned off into
    > comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad, the creation of a specific subgroup might
    > re-stimulate interest enough to result in more traffic, and possibly in
    > the creation of other comp.sys.laptops.* subgroups.
    >
    > HISTORY: comp.sys.laptops
    >
    > comp.sys.laptops was created in about 1990. Traffic apparently peaked at
    > over 100 articles per day before declining to its current level of about
    > 40 articles per day. This decline is believed to be more due to
    > siphoning off by brand-specific web forums (e.g., forum.thinkpads.com),
    > and lack of brand focus, not any lack of interest in laptop computers.
    >
    > Adding specific subgroups (IBM, Toshiba, etc.) to comp.sys.laptops was
    > proposed in 1994-1995, but apparently went nowhere:
    >
    > <ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/comp/comp.sys.laptop...>
    >
    > <ftp://ftp.isc.org/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/comp/comp.sys.laptop...>

    John, I know you like ThinkPads (I have one) but don't you think
    enough is enough...let it go!

    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    On Mar 27, 12:20 pm, John Navas <> wrote:
    > [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
    > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 04:47:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote in
    > <>:
    >
    > >John, I know you like ThinkPads (I have one) but don't you think
    > >enough is enough...let it go!

    > Let what go?
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,    You are cordially invited to participate in the
    > John             official ThinkPad group news:comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

    Leave the group go on its own...or pump it up once a week.