Re: What kind of 2.5" HD adapter do I need?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by M.I.5¾, Jan 18, 2010.

  1. M.I.5¾

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I need
    > some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop have SATA
    > and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
    > It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
    > adapter.
    > Here are pictures of my HD:
    > http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test1.jpg
    > http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test3.jpg
    > http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test4.jpg
    >
    > Any idea what kind adapter do I need?

    The connector shown in your third link is an adapter. It either just pulls
    off or requires the removal of a screw from each end (you photo didn't quite
    inlcude enough).

    Once the adapter is removed, the disc drive will have a standard SATA
    interface connector on it and any SATA adapter will work.

    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs M.I.5¾ wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I
    >> need some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop
    >> have SATA and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
    >> It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
    >> adapter.
    >> Here are pictures of my HD:
    >> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test1.jpg
    >> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test3.jpg
    >> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test4.jpg
    >>
    >> Any idea what kind adapter do I need?
    >>

    > The connector shown in your third link is an adapter. It either just
    > pulls off or requires the removal of a screw from each end (you photo
    > didn't quite inlcude enough).
    >
    > Once the adapter is removed, the disc drive will have a standard SATA
    > interface connector on it and any SATA adapter will work.

    He means any SATA HDD should work (with the adapter fitted). ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

  3. M.I.5¾

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs M.I.5¾ wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I decided to replace HD in my laptop. It is HP Pavilion DV2000. I
    >>> need some kind of adapter to connect it to my desktop (my desktop
    >>> have SATA and IDE drives) to clone the old HD to a new one.
    >>> It says my disk is SATA Serial - but I see it is not regular SATA
    >>> adapter.
    >>> Here are pictures of my HD:
    >>> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test1.jpg
    >>> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test3.jpg
    >>> http://www.evkosystems.kgbinternet.com/PC-problems/HP-test4.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Any idea what kind adapter do I need?
    >>>

    >> The connector shown in your third link is an adapter. It either just
    >> pulls off or requires the removal of a screw from each end (you photo
    >> didn't quite inlcude enough).
    >>
    >> Once the adapter is removed, the disc drive will have a standard SATA
    >> interface connector on it and any SATA adapter will work.

    > He means any SATA HDD should work (with the adapter fitted). ;-)

    The OP stated that he wished to connect the removed drive to his desktop, so
    I meant exactly what I said.

  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs M.I.5¾ wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs M.I.5¾ wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> The connector shown in your third link is an adapter. It either
    >>> just pulls off or requires the removal of a screw from each end
    >>> (you photo didn't quite inlcude enough).
    >>>
    >>> Once the adapter is removed, the disc drive will have a standard
    >>> SATA interface connector on it and any SATA adapter will work.

    >> He means any SATA HDD should work (with the adapter fitted). ;-)

    > The OP stated that he wished to connect the removed drive to his
    > desktop, so I meant exactly what I said.

    My bad. When you wrote "SATA adapter" (I would have said "SATA cable" as
    nothing needs to be 'adapted',) I thought you were talking the other way....
    --
    Shaun.